Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Go skiing with a baby or not??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

although surely babies must live at higher altitudes.

the locals had babies in the high Andes but that didn't stop all the Spanish ones dying. Skullie We take some days to acclimatize to high altitude, too.

The extent to which babies are bothered by altitude no doubt varies, as it does with adults - but many adults have difficulty sleeping at altitude and who wants a 3 month old baby having difficulties sleeping??

Life really is much easier if they are breastfed - by three months they have normally settled into needing feeding a bit less often than in the hectic early weeks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Remember that infant car seats have a time limit of 2 hours at a time. That's a lot of stopping if you are going to drive.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Clarrylove, good point.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I try to stick to 2 hours driving, as that's when all the research shows that concentration starts to suffer. However, I don't stop for long - coffee and a pee, usually. It would be difficult to give a babies spine time to straighten out in that sort of time. Some babies travel well and tend to sleep a lot. Some definitely don't. If you have the latter variety a drive to the Alps would be unpleasant! I don't see why flying should be a problem - there really isn't a lot you need for a 3 month old!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You can get a lay flat baby car "seat". Down side is it takes up two of the rear seats, but it very good if you have a young one and you are expected to drive all over the country to visit the relatives rather than them visit you. (No not bitter honest gov!).

Also the only other possible issue is 3months is mega growth spurt time. My eldest was literally feeding every hour for a few days during the day at 3months. Though my youngest wasn't so badly effected. I considered going when my eldest was around 4-5months but it was the practicality and time between breastfeeds that put me off (she was FLATLY refusing to take a bottle at that point), and survived going to nursery at 5-6months on 2oz of milk from a bottle from the time I dropped her off (8am) until I picked her up at 3:30pm, and the small amounts of solids she ate.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Travel with kids and you are stopping a lot anyway. Travel with pregnant wife, even more so! Seriously though, make the trip part of the holiday and it works fine. We live in the West Midlands so the trip is divided into chunks. Home to Channel, Channel to Reims (overnight), Reims to Dijon (brunch), Dijon to Chambery (supermarket and lunch), Chambery to resort. With pee stops between.

We aim to get to the resort around 6, but on the occasions we have been delayed we phone ahead and they leave the apartment open for us.

My wife is a teacher so all these holidays were at Easter, with associated holiday traffic. The one time we went out of busy periods the roads were deserted, and it was so easy!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flet©h wrote:
Quote:

Use bottled water for the baby may be advisable if on formula.

Ehh? Where do you think the tap water in mountain resorts comes from? Mountain springs, the same place as the bottled stuff comes from. Maybe even better if you buy cheap bottled water which is just filtered tap water anyway.

Am I missing something? I thought with baby formula that you used cooled down boiled water? Or are both members talking about boiled tap or bottled water and boiling them?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Am I missing something? I thought with baby formula that you used cooled down boiled water? Or are both members talking about boiled tap or bottled water and boiling them?

You are right. Just another reason why the "use bottled water" advice is bobbins.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll stick to being a bobbin and only drink bottled water when skiing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dredgy - I think a lot depends on how your baby is. If they are fairly settled maybe you could take them skiing this year. If you live in the south east I'd recommend taking the direct Eurostar and staying somewhere small like Sainte Foy where you would not be paying out for an expensive lift pass and not able to access half the ski area. (I haven't been to Sainte Foy personally though).

I could not have imagined driving all the way to the alps with my children when they were young. However the eldest suffered from reflux so hated being in his carseat for long stretches.

We took our eldest skiing at 10 months. The journey by Eurostar was fun and we travelled in Leisure Select where there were spare seats - our son was able to lie across two seats for his nap. We put him in his Maclaren buggy to get off the train and found we were pushing it through half a foot of fresh snow on the platform snowHead However we had a bad chalet experience and he went down with an ear infection (which we had not realised at the time) and it wasn't our most successful holiday. If I were taking a baby skiing again I'd book a luxury self catering apartment.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I'll stick to being a bobbin and only drink bottled water when skiing

Good for you.

Not so good for the environment but hey ho, you can't win them all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The tap water in my apartment is magnificent - wonderful, soft, cold, mountain water. We, and all our guests, have drunk it for months each year for 11 years now and (touch wood.....) we have never yet had even a mild tummy upset of any kind. I'd boil it for babies' bottles, though.

I have an eighteen month old arriving this evening - that's MUCH more of a challenge than a 3 month old.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flet©h, neither is beer or any of the other bottled drinks which are consumed in mass quantities in the alps but as you say can't win them all

Quote:

have an eighteen month old arriving this evening

That's a hell of a long pregnancy Shocked

Good luck!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

neither is beer or any of the other bottled drinks which are consumed in mass quantities in the alps but as you say can't win them all

But beer etc doesn't have a handy local source which is efficiently piped to every property. Mores the pity.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've taken both of my kids along on ski holidays when they were small.Most of the time we have been with friends so all clubbed togther and had a nanny come into the chalet which has been the best option. We used the nursery in Vaujany one year when my daughter was about 15 months old and it was an unmitigated disaster from the French not being able to comprehend that we don't immunize our children at birth against TB, to some fairly rigid regimes being imposed on children who were more used to a 'go with the flow' type of nursey.

We also had a small nightmare in La Tania using a nanny service that shall remain nameless who we had paid in full but then decided they couldn't send either of the 2 nannies we had booked as one child (out of 6) was recovering from chickenpox and also refused to refund the money Evil or Very Mad Harsh words were exchanged and a compromise was reached.

Thankfully mine are 8 and 10 now so those days are behind us. In answer, yes it's do-able but it won't necessarily be easy!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy