Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The New Ski Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
DB wrote:
Em1986,

b) If you have a footbed in your boots and the pain is too much around the lower part of the foot, take the footbed out.

I had custom footbeds for a new pair of boots last season. Similar pain on outside of left foot which affected the skiing on the first day on the slopes. I took the left custom footbed out and replaced with the manufacturers. Problem resolved.

On return to UK, went back to the fitter who shaved off some of the instep mould (minor adjustment) and problem immediately resolved. Seems that the instep support was slightly too high, thus tilting and pressing the outside of left foot hard into the shell.

Boot-fitting at punter level is never going to be a precise science IMV. My first pair were never a problem from day one. The second pair presented a minor problem, now resolved.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just a quick update. After two hours of skiing in Chill Factore in Manchester I had no problem with my boots whatsoever. It did feel a bit tight in the first 15 minutes, but this quickly went away. As a matter of favt, after the second lift I actually tightened them up a notch...

I am rather happy!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
psyxologos, Nice result... there is an element of try or die lol
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indeed.... Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have to say I've thoroughly enjoyed reading this post - as I type I'm sitting with my new boots on (Salomon Quest 100) and I'm experiencing many of the points noted above. i.e. no real pressure points but a sense of discomfort with a slight tingle - all very minor and not worth for taking the boots back for - I'm sure once bedded in with the extra fractional space all will resolve the small issues - just a bit tentative knowing that you've shelled out on new boots that may ( or may not ) do the job !
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Em1986,

I had the same experience as you last year; bought my first pair of new boots (from CEM), wore them round the house and then to the Snowdome for a day, where they were agony! Pins and needles, pain, red, sore, etc. I was almost in tears after an hour. I asked CEM for advice and he said they would be fine after another few hours of real skiing and that also, it was crucial to only lightly buckle the toe and top of foot buckle. He also joked that I would want tighter boots eventually as well!

I took his advice and, despite my fears, my boots were absolutely fine on holiday. Snug (in a good way) but comfortable and I found I gradually cranked them up over the course of the week too, to levels I would never have dreamed of back when I first put them on!

One year on, I have an appointment with CEM next week to shift the buckles at the ankle and calf a bit so I can crank those up a bit more if needed...

So, my experience was that boots which seemed horribly tight at first ( a size smaller than my normal shoe size) turned out to be fine after a few hours of real skiing. How you buckle them is also crucial; don't do the toe or top of arch buckles too tight or you will cut off the blood supply!

Good luck, and don't panic!

chemistry
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think you'll be fine Bedford1971, the symptoms you describe were the same as for me. But as I've already mentioned, you'll be better off walking around and standing in the boots rather than sitting down with them on. Good luck! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chemistry, Yup, and really play round with the micro adjustment. Just a couple of turns on a buckle can be enough to differentiate between numbness and feeling loose.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So just updating everyone after getting back from my first ski trip and I took everyones advice.. stuck a pair of thin socks on... didn't take the insoles out just to check how I got on and I was pleasantly surprised! No pain or numbness at all really... some burning after having been in them for 5 hours but not too bad at all so I am pleased! I am actually missing not putting them on now I am home.. so that has to be a good sign right Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Em1986, that's good to know. Thick socks are really only necessary in ill-fitting rental boots. snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would never have known that so thank you for the advice! I can't wait to wear my boots again now Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy