Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advise on resorts.

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I'm new to the site, so forgive me if this is frequently asked. I'm wanting to book a skiing holiday but have no knowledge on resorts. I'm a beginner progressing to be intermediate for this year, and have been on one skiing experience 5 years ago in flogarida, Italy. My bro is a beginner and hasn't experienced snow yet. He has done all of his lessons on a dry ski slope 2 years, the same year we were meant to go away, but I unfortunately broke my wrist. Anyway, we have France and Austria in mind, but are open to others. If anyone could be kind enough to give advise it would be appreciated. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What kind of budget, and when do you intend to travel? Is it just you and your brother?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're thinking about £1,000 mark, give or take £100. It's not really a budget just to be sensible as my bro needs to know if he likes the sport or not. We have two dates, 22nd February - 1 march or 15 march - 22 march. Yes it will be just us two.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's for hotel, lift passes, ski and boot hire and a couple of lessons while over there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
End of March is a good choice in my opinion, it is less cold and the days are longer. It's my favourite time of the season.

You have a wide range of resorts to choose from, are you planning to fly or drive?
The Portes du Soleil resorts on the French side are all great for beginners. I personally really like Morzine and Avoriaz.

La Plagne is also good for beginners/intermediates with lots of green and blue runs. So is La Tania or Courchevel 1650 in my opinion but the 3 Valleys can be a pricier option.

You also have the Grand Massif area - there is less aprés-ski in these villages but the skiing is excellent and accommodation is sometimes more reasonable.

There are plenty of more options of course... Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beanyboi, I'd suggest March rather than February. Less crowded and warmer weather, as well as being cheaper possibly too.

I'd also suggest Austria or Italy before France. France is great, but more expensive and arguable more crowded. At your levels you won't need a mega-resort and may find a smaller resort more user-friendly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

At your levels you won't need a mega-resort and may find a smaller resort more user-friendly.

If looking at France, the 15 March is much better - the school holidays will then be finished. Have a look at the holidays in UCPA centres in France - marketed by Action Outdoors. For £700 - 800 you can get an all inclusive deal, including full board, equipment hire, lessons, ski pass and transfers from the airport. You only have to add your flights and some beers. You are unlikely to find anything cheaper and in some centres (e.g. Flaine, Les Contamines) you can get a twin-bedded room for very little extra cost.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, v good call. Nephew loves UCPA.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First of all thanks for the information. My brother has spoken about driving if need be, but I'd prefer to fly So still undecided. I had a look at avoriaz and looks good. I could also get access to morzine for an extra £80. Would you say it be worth it? I'm currently looking at Thomson holidays by the way. Ok Pam w I'll also look at UCPA.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beanyboi, if you can get reasonable price flights it's probably cheaper than driving, for just two of you.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
www.igluski.com is a great search engine, take a look at austria, italy and france and see what comes up in your budget. They cover all the main operators.

I like Tignes late season for beginners but the pass is expensive, Montgenevre (Cheaper), La Plagne, Val Thorens, Flaine, Avoriaz, Selva, Passo Tonale (Cheaper). We end up in France a lot as we like catered chalets, but Austria has a lot to recommend it, especially if you like hotels.

First trip I'd use a tour operator and book morning lessons all week for both of you, makes life easy and keeps you safe!

Lessons £110 each (6 mornings)
Ski & Boot hire £70 each (Try alpinresorts for cheap pre-booking deals)
Lift passes £200 each (maybe £150 somewhere smaller)
If your £1000 is between two it's pretty tight, if it's each then you are good Smile

Hope that helps,

Jess
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Beanyboi, For some basic practical advice, look at how far your accommodation is from the ski school meeting point: is there a bus or do you have to walk. Walking in ski boots is not top of anyone's fun things to do list. How much do you want to spend on lunch and evening beers? Whilst I'm sure there are individual resorts that are exceptions, country price for food and booze goes like this: Switzerland - stupidly expensive, France - very expensive, Austria - sort of ok, Italy - ok.

I'd also give a +1 with a.j. for Igluski, speak to them and they'll talk you through the resorts. Also have a look at www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beanyboi, You don't always need to buy the full lift pass as a beginner and you can sometimes find a good deal on a beginners 'package' with lessons and ski pass included.

As others have mentioned the March dates will be far cheaper than the February dates in France, it will be low season as opposed to peak season prices for accommodation. You will also have a far greater choice of accommodation, even ski hire can be cheaper in the off-peak weeks .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you decide to go for UCPA then you can get another £10 off by using the discount code DL2014 on the booking form when you book on the Action Outdoors website. I have used them 4 times the last two years at Chamonix twice, Tignes and Val D'Isere and love it. Best ski holidays and have ever done and half the price of anything else once you have taken all the costs into account !!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

half the price of anything else once you have taken all the costs into account !!

but people will still keep telling you that France is expensive. Only if you want it to be. wink
snow conditions
I have been looking around and have favoured so far morzine, France. Also allowing me to go to neighbouring resorts as well. Also the best deal I found was on crystalski.co.uk, for everything we need came to just under £1,000 each. Flights, transfers, accommodation, area lift pass, ski and boot hire and 6 morning lessons are included. Staying at hotel Viking between 15th and 22nd march. Has anybody heard good or bad things about this resort and hotel?
snow report
@beanyboi, I'd focus more on the resort specifics rather than price. Once you narrow down your choice of resort to say three different places, then start the search for accommodation.

Morzine is good, but not the best for beginners. I'd suggest Cervinia, Soldeu or Alpe d'huez, all of which should be able to deliver offers within budget. Plenty other options also, but it depends on your exact wishes for the holiday (ie. other than skiing, do you prioritise scenery, party atmosphere or resort charm - these kind of factors should all be taken in consideration).

If your heart is set on Morzine, then don't be concerned - it's a great town and you will at least benefit from the Viking location.

As previously stated, it's cheaper to go in March rather than February.
wheretoskiandsnowboard.com, welove2ski.com and the Telegraph are all fantastic resources with http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/9117841/The-best-ski-resorts-for-beginners.html offering further clarification.
snow report
Some of the French resorts mentioned already are good choices (not sure about Morzine for beginners) but in my humble opinion you might also want to consider Austria - for general ambiance and genuine warmth I don't think France comes anywhere near. From resorts visited personally I would say that Westendorf would be my favourite, but there are so many choices just check out this site for ideas, Obertaurn, Soll, Ellmau, Neiderau (small but some amazing offers from TO's). I also highly rate Montgenevre in France for your requirements, good luck Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy