Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Bag - large bag needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, after a decent ski bag that needs to carry one pair of 176 cm skis plus all gear for 9 day ski trip. Boots can be carried separately so no need to get them in.

Ideally looking for one with pockets inside to pack clothing etc in, I will probably have some of those roll up vacuum bags to put the bulkier things in.

Going by train this year so want to just have the one main bag plus a boot bag which can double as 'hand luggage' with all my travel requirements stuffed into my boots!

These are what I have looked at so far.... hoping someone may have first hand knowledge of any of them:

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Concourse-Double.html
http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=S%2BR0227K1
http://www.ekosport.co.uk/dynastar-housse-23-pairs-wheel-bag-14,97387923,p.html
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181289479164?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Many thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The DaKine FallLine Double will work fine. I took all my kit for two weeks in Japan in that. The Concourse will eat into your luggage allowance a lot more if you fly in future.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
meh, actually ALL your gear, literally everything packed in there? Just a bit nervous as I have to order online, won't get to see the bag in the flesh and won't have time to exchange if not big enough.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
swishtony wrote:
meh, actually ALL your gear, literally everything packed in there? Just a bit nervous as I have to order online, won't get to see the bag in the flesh and won't have time to exchange if not big enough.

You may well be able to fit all your stuff in there. If I feel keen, I'll try and take a photo of my fall line double later... it certainly fitted 2 pairs of skis (a 174 and a 186), my boots, poles, ski clothing, etc. with space to spare.

Personally, I'd be keen to get a large-ish bag I could wear on my back to go with it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Serriadh, many thanks! I don't really want to take another bag to be honest, will defeat the object. Will be carrying a Dakine DLX Boot Bag which is really nice and has space for my travel requirements but not really for clothing etc. Ideally want to get everything else into the bag.

As meh, says if I get a much bigger bag it may create problems if I decide to fly next year as the weight will eat into my allowances. Maybe I just need to take less stuff this year!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm thinking if I use the roll up vacuum bags that will help a lot keeping the bulk down.....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I bought a Burton 181 wheeled board bag to transport my skis and stuff in. The only disadvantage I can see with it is that I have to stick to skis that'll fit in it length wise! When I was looking, ski bags with wheels were twice the price of board bags so I got this one. As it's a board bag it has a larger middle section where I can shove in lots.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

This is the bag packed for Japan. Has all my ski gear for two weeks in it, including avi gear, baselayers, socks, etc. with room to spare. I did take a small duffel as well with clothes in to keep them clean but if you are vacuum packing then that's not such an issue. I also took a rucksack as carry on with my laptop and electronic doodads in it and wore my ski jacket.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just out of curiosity, how heavy was all that?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timmaah, I don't remember exactly but all told probably around 30kg including hold luggage. Light skis and touring gear means it's not actually too fearsome. I had to pay for the extra bag though so I don't think I was overweight. They also took pity on me with my internal flight in Japan because I think the ski bag was over the size they normally take on. I don't know exactly because I was knackered and there was a significant language barrier. Smile

I've found IcelandAir to be pretty accommodating I flew back from Scotland with two bags and about 45kg total luggage with no extra charge or the checkin staff batting an eyelid.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I bought a fall line double recently too, it's significantly lighter than the concourse double. Fits two pairs of 190+ skis and boots with plenty of room left - I'll run out of weight allowance before I fill it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last time I was in London, I bought this (note, that they also have a 195cms bag in-store):

http://www.lillywhites.com/nevica-large-ski-wheelie-bag-400098?colcode=40009847

I think I paid around £60....

Well worth it Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
meh, great stuff. Was looking at getting that bag as trekking with my old wheel-less ski bag, boot bag, and backpack through Japan was a bit of a nightmare. You coming out to Japan again?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies, as I've bought a separate bag for my boots (and helmet I hope....) and I only have one pair of skis I'm thinking the Fall Line Double should defo do the job.

Lilledonmarco, I did notice the Nevica ones actually but was put off (stupidly?) by the low price they are going for on eBay. Is it a decent bag, have you used it in anger yet?

meh, many thanks for taking the time to add the picture, think that's sold it to me!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swishtony, yes, and it has more than held to a recent trip with 193cm shiros, 191cm mantras, my boots, and helmet, and all other gear.

Basically, for the price, it rocks
snow conditions
The one you linked to is only 175cm though, so check out the dimensions before buying swishtony. I'm sure it's in stock in other places though.
snow conditions
Timmaah, in a few years, just gained a tiny person so am somewhat tied up at the moment! Very Happy
latest report
Timmaah, and as I wrote in the text above: (note, that they also have a 195cms bag in-store)
latest report
I have a concourse double and like meh use it for all my ski gear even on 2+ week trips, then just carry my pack on with (delicate) helmet inside. Weight of the bag with boots, 185 skis with dukes, avi kit and clothing is usually sub 30kg.

swishtony, I know you said you've already got the boot bag, but it might be worth thinking about airline charges. As they are getting fussy now about charging by weight and bag you might find that one (ski) bag is cheaper to transport than a boot, ski and potentially luggage bag. Also some airports are getting funny about people carrying on ski boots.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy