Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne, Mayrhofen, Serre Chevalier or Cortina d’Ampezzo

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm after some guidance with my resort shortlist below. After suggestions on this forum last year, myself (Intermediate Skier) and a friend (Intermediate Boarder) went to Sauze d'Oulx in January with Inghams and had a fantastic time.

We are now planning our January 2014 trip, with the addition of one more friend who's a beginner snowboarder (he's had three hours of lessons at the Snowdome this month).

Our shortlist:

La Plagne
Mayrhofen
Serre Chevalier
Cortina d'Ampezzo

Our requirements:
- Good off piste/tree runs
- Good mix of slopes to accomodate our mixed abilities
- Enough slopes to keep us entertained for the week. Preferably same distance as the Sauze/Milky Way (300-400km)
- Good nightlife, not necessarily looking for a snowy version of Ibiza, just something going on in the evenings
- Sensible food and beer prices
- Not too many crowds, if this is an issue in early/mid Jan?

Prior to our trip to Sauze d'Oulx we found out that the resorts snowfall can be hit and miss, we were lucky and it snowed three times during the week, but I'd prefer a resort that had reliable snow fall!

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How important is "ski convenience" to you (ie time and distance from your accommodation to the slopes)?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Of the four I've only been to La Plange and I really enjoyed it so I'm off back in a few days but the nightlife is quiet and family orientated.

You should swap Morzine for La Plange on your list. Not as high but they've just had some snow and are due some more plus there are tree runs all over the PDS.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We don't mind a ten minute walk to the lifts.

Just looked at Morzine but it's a bit expensive for us starting at £630

Thanks
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
La Plagne means the plain i.e. flat, on some runs there are rope tows by the pistes to help boarders. So possibly not the best resort for beginners (on a board)
As said above night life is very limited, some of the villages have none at all (La Plagne is made up of 11 separate areas or 'villages') so great for families.
Food and beer are edging toward expensive, Dish of the Day is around €14/15 Beer around €5 or more per half litre. Pizza start from around €10
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
George 3G, Mayrhofern is good value but the Penken Gondola is a rugby scrum in the morning. But you do have options with the Hintertux glacier.

There is next to no ski runs into resort here, if that's important to you, I would not recommend the resort to you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So do you catch a gondola back down to the town at night?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the advice boredsurfin, that's a very valid point. I remember there being a flat spot on one of the slopes at Sauze and it was a right pain for my friend.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
George 3G wrote:
Just looked at Morzine but it's a bit expensive for us starting at £630

Cross Cortina off your list if your budget is Fiesta sized.

Of the other 3 La Plagne is the only one that really offers the kind of mileage / scope you're after - the Paradiski area is vast and varied.
But be warned: Parts of La Plagne are hideous and/or dead, so if looking at a particular place ask advice from those in the know on the LP thread.

2nd choice is Mayrhofen which can be blighted by morning queues but should be fine from w/c Sat 11th Jan onwards. Serre C suffers from a lack of resort atmosphere

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 29-12-13 20:33; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been to Mayrhofen and Serre Che.

Mayrhofen has a good variety of individual areas which are not linked, there's a bus/train service that runs up and down the valley, which makes visiting each area a bit of a 'day out' sort of vibe. Good nightlife/apres. Better value than serre che (nightlife and food). Has a good high glacier. I didn't find as much tree run as serre che.

Serre Che is one big linked area, with nice variety and great boarding terrain. Less nightlife where we were (Chantermele). Tree runs abound.

If you're planning for mid Jan, check on the relevant threads as you get closer but from reading the reports at the moment it seems the off piste cove generally in Austria is pretty poor, though this may well change?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
George 3G, assuming you're young, and on a tight budget, have a look at holidays at UCPA centres in France, which you can see on the Action Outdoors website. All inclusive, including full board, tuition, gear and ski passes. Exceptional value and in some high quality resorts. With full board and a lively in-house bar you won't need to worry about those eye-watering resort prices.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rogg, thanks, that's dissapointing to hear as we thought we had chosen Mayrhofen! I'll continue the search Sad

pam w, I'm 25, my two friends are 26. Our budget for flights, accomodation and transfers is a maxiumum of £600.

I'll take a look now, thanks!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Don't write off Mayrhofen, I have been to both Serre and Mayrhofen and would choose Mayrhofen every time.

There are plenty tree runs and lots of great easy access op. There is also a run to the town from the Ahorn side although you will probably spend most time on the Penken and it is a bit of a scrum to get on the gondola to get down at busy times.

However Jan is probably the lowest time in the season and the queues are not to bad then.

The beer and food is cheap and the apri is loud.

On your first week there it is unlikely that you will need to go to any of the other areas so no need to worry about that, as Mayrhofen is directly linked to Finkenburg and Eggalm.

There is a very small sample of the op options here http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101544&highlight=

Some nice tree runs here from dulcamara, another member here.

http://youtube.com/v/TM-CYH1HaUg

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 30-12-13 14:47; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
George 3G, don't get me wrong, I really liked mayrhofen and would go back at the drop of a hat, but maybe not right now. As far as I can make out the snow gods have been a bit kinder further west, and recently further south too. Check out the snow reports in the other section.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Rogg, I'm relatively new to this forum, what resorts are getting the best snow at the moment?

Thanks
snow report
We have had some snow in Mayrhofen and do all ok now!
ski holidays
Quote:

what resorts are getting the best snow at the moment?

Maybe the Dolomites, though the snow NOW is no indication at all of what the snow will be like in january 2014.
snow conditions
Of the resorts you mention, Ive been to La Plagne and Mayrhofen (stayed at Finkenberg but the same ski area). Mayrhofen I wouldnt go back to as I found the ski area disjointed. La Plagne Ive been a few times and despite it being a blue piste paradise I really enjoyed it each time. Though sole less being made up of satellite apartments (villages). Its easy to ski around and does have difficult runs if you want them
latest report
The cheapest beer is in Mayrhofen, by quite a distance.

Skiing good in all of them.

snowHead
snow report
Why france or austria? Italy far better value. Have a look at la Thuile, good value, good skiing, and you wont lose yer arm when you order a beer.
snow report
As boredsurfin points out, la plagne suffers badly from flat spots for boarders. Les Arcs (linked as part of paradiski) is better in that regard and a great mixed ability area. Of your list I'd say Serre Chevalier would be the best, although watch where you are staying, some bits are livelier than others.
latest report
Thanks AJ, the pointers towards the flat spots in La Plagne has really helped us and meant it's definitely struck off the list.

I just want to get it booked now but don't feel confident enough until I check the conditions closer to our departure date
snow conditions
For three people in Jan, with no firm desire to go anywhere in particular you can risk waiting another week to see what the snow is doing imo, so relax snowHead To keep an eye on availability I run up a igluski search every morning to see whats left for my dates at what prices, seeing how much is out there calms the nerves when you are holding out for a deal! If prices start going back up - book something Razz

Let us know what you pick in the end!
snow report
Hi a.j., we have two contingency plans. Of course Mayrhofen, between crystal ski, iglu and inghams there are 7 hotel options available all between £400-£500 ish. But, if the conditions don't prove themselves, our last resort (no pun intended) is Sauze d'Oulx, according to sauzeonline blog the conditions look good and Crystal and Inghams have 4 or 5 hotels available under £500.

In the meantime, we'll try and pick a resort with the best conditions

I'll keep you updated, thanks everyone for their input and keep it coming, it's very much appreciated! Very Happy
latest report
Did you decide where you were going? I'm planning to go to SC in Feb Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy