Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easy blues Courchevel Valley

Poster: A snowHead
We're off to La Tania next week & I'd to know which blues are a bit turquoise, and which a bit purplish please. Could really do without scaring the missus! Seems like we should avoid Creux, since that was a red on last years piste map. Is there 1 bit that is a bit tough or the whole run?

What about Arolles for getting back to La Tania from 1850?
Any especially flat and wide routes to 1550? Would heading for the bottom of Pralong and down Cospillot be nice & quiet, looks like it avoids the centre of 1850 & the base of lots of lifts.

What about Prameruel for getting to 1650? Looks like lots of blues over there. Searching on here, the ones beside the Pyramides drags look nice, any other ones?

Generally looking for big, wide, gentle and quiet recommendations please.

Anyone else in La Tania next week? I'll be on my own in the mornings while most of the family are having lessons.

Ta
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what...snow,
Quote:
Seems like we should avoid Creux, since that was a red on last years piste map. Is there 1 bit that is a bit tough or the whole run?
About the first third is steeper and gets cut up and a bit bumpy, the rest is cruising/carving terrain. Don't know if they've remodelled the first section to make it a bit flatter for the re-grading - suspect they have. Will be fairly busy next week - it's Russian New Year.

Quote:
What about Arolles for getting back to La Tania from 1850?
First half pretty wide and gentle, second half widish path.

Quote:
Would heading for the bottom of Pralong and down Cospillot be nice & quiet,
Yes, pretty run through the trees. If you can't carry your speed, though, there are a couple of flat spots near the luge track that you'll have to pole.

Quote:
What about Prameruel for getting to 1650? Looks like lots of blues over there. Searching on here, the ones beside the Pyramides drags look nice, any other ones?
You got me head scratching there! You must be looking at an old piste map. Prameruel has gone, you have to take a modernised Roc Mugnier chair, which brings you out on Ariondaz blue. You can get to it via Pralong around the back of the Altiport if you don't fancy Creux. Look for the wide path on the left of the Pilotes restaurant. All the blues in 1650 are good, gentle intermediate terrain and it will be quieter over there. Ideal place to go for what you want. Bus goes to LT every hour if you get stuck there. Pyramide drag is long but not difficult. Better to turn left at the top than right IMO.

Quote:
Generally looking for big, wide, gentle and quiet recommendations please.
If you have a 3V pass, the Meribel Altiport area and down to Golf (Meribel Village) is confidence building. Take the Boulevard straight ahead of you off the top of Dou des Lanches chair, not Pic Bleu unless you already know Pic Bleu is in good condition. It frequently isn't, especially early season. Perhaps recce it yourself in the morning first.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Russian New Year

Indeed. My son is cooking in an impossibly expensive and stylish chalet in 1850 for a party of Russians who have it for this week and next. He won't be out on the snow - when he's not cooking he's going to be getting on with the first draft of his Ph D thesis. He's earning quite a lot of money and guess what they ordered for dinner last night? Tomato soup and spag bol, at 6 pm because of the children (3 generation family). But tonight they have invited guests to dinner at 11 pm so today might push his culinary skills a bit further.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w,
Quote:
But tonight they have invited guests to dinner at 11 pm
and if my experience of Russian chalet guests inviting people for a late dinner is anything to go by, that dinner will go on to 8am at which point they will demand wine with breakfast!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were in La Tania Russian New Year week last year, and didn't find any of the 3V particularly busy. Maybe the occasional queue but nothing significant.

One of the best things about La Tania is you don't have to remortgage your house to buy lunch.

Both the blue and green runs down to La Tania are lovely, although rather embarrassingly I fell on the green whilst attempting to rescue a small girl who was crying due to having been left a few feet behind by her dad. I offered her my pole for a tow, which she grabbed and somehow I ended up with my skis crossed and in a heap on the trail Embarassed (The worst of it is that this seemed to give her comfort and she skied away quite happily.)

SM.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

if my experience of Russian chalet guests inviting people for a late dinner is anything to go by, that dinner will go on to 8am at which point they will demand wine with breakfast

Hmm. quite possibly - but then he'll be earning his money! They can demand anything they want for breakfast - they're paying (they pay a fixed price for the chef, and the food is charged at cost). They bought their own caviar, it seems. And because his "staff accommodation" is in Meribel he'll be staying at the chalet tonight, and with any luck they'll suggest he does that for the rest of the week, which makes life easier all round (it's not fully occupied).

He's hoping they are keen skiers and not hanging round under his feet all day long and demanding snacks. He has a lot of work to do on his thesis. He should really be working on it full time, but needs the money!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was in La Tania last week for xmas. Creux has been remodelled to drop its grading. Both the green and red were still closed to resort although the green could be done part way down but you had to cut across to Folyeres to get back to resort. Had niece and nephew with us for their first weeks skiing (12 & 13), instructor (Newgen) said at end of week that they would be able to manage all the greens and blues in 3 valleys, so your missus should have no problem. Hope this helps.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fobski,
Quote:
Creux has been remodelled to drop its grading.
Thanks, I thought I'd read that somewhere but couldn't find the link.

Quote:
Both the green and red were still closed to resort although the green could be done part way down but you had to cut across to Folyeres to get back to resort.
According to http://www.latania.co.uk/ , they're now open.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fobski, She's only done 2 days so far and we'll be skiing together next Sunday. Worried I'm going to push off, turn round & she'll have vanished! Lots of new snow since you were there last week, both those runs were open today according to skiplan.

Raceplate, Many,many thanks. Prameruel is the name for the continuation of Pralong to get to the bottom of Roc Mugnier!

sugarmoma666, That's what I've read on here before. Lots of Russians in 1850 but few actually skiing! Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
what...snow,
Quote:
Prameruel is the name for the continuation of Pralong to get to the bottom of Roc Mugnier!
Ah, yes. It's only named on the Courchevel map, not the 3V's one that I was looking at. There used to be a Pramereul chair next to Roc Mugnier that also went to 1650 but it got taken out about 5 years ago. It's certainly the easiest way to get to 1650.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Worried I'm going to push off, turn round & she'll have vanished!

When I ski with someone new to skiing, and lacking in confidence, I let them go in front! It's nice to be able to help them up if they fall, and also not to put them under any pressure of trying to "keep up". I'd hate it if I was skiing with someone far better than me and they just "pushed off" and left me. Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
1650 has plenty of beginner-friendly terrain - quieter too - but don't be tempted to come back via Gravelles. It's marked as blue but it's a narrow path with a wall on one side and a big drop on the other until it spits you out onto the lower, icy slopes of Roc Mugnier. Get the navette instead.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what...snow, if you ski back from 1650, take the Petite Bosse drag opposite the bottom of the Signal chair and then the Gravelles blue path diagonally opposite the top to the Gravelles chair. Don't attempt Roc Mugnier red to get back with a one week skier; they won't cope.

There's various routes back from the top of Gravelles to LT but Pralong/Cospilot to Tovets chair in 1550 and then Plantrey chair to Arolles/Folyeres would be a pleasantly mixed and pretty blue route home. Not the very gentlest route though, that would be Altiport/Bellecote blue/green to the 1850 Croisette and then Chenus bubble to the top of Arolles.

Pity I'm not there, I'd have shown you around. Have a nice time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
altis,
Quote:
but don't be tempted to come back via Gravelles. It's marked as blue but it's a narrow path with a wall on one side and a big drop on the other until it spits you out onto the lower, icy slopes of Roc Mugnier.

Looks like our posts crossed. It's not that bad anymore - they've widened the icy bit and put in an extra blue path section so you no longer have to negotiate the last 50m of Roc Mugnier.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
'bout time!

We spent our first two weeks in 1650 with lessons in 1850 the first week. It's the only 'easy' connection between the two and we used to fear and dread that path every day.
snow conditions
altis, yep, been there. My first 3V experience was based out of 1650 but with 4 weeks under my belt. Not quite so scary but certainly no fun and that last bit of Roc Mugnier was very intimidating (still is, for most people!). They only added the new bit 2/3 years ago; long overdue.
snow report
I hate getting back from 1850 to 1650, especially if the snow cover is poor. In the end I just caught the bus!

Though this year we have booked 1850 instead....
snow report
If you want a nice blue to practice on try the Granges in 1650. You can access it from the Belvedere drag lift (turn left at top) and then can take the Granges drag - the Granges is wide and gentle and suprisingly empty. From the top of the Granges You can get over to the Petite Bosse and Gravelles back to 1850 (I am a timid skier and can manage the Gravelles) or if you want to go back to 1650 and catch the bus get the Indiens back down - it is steepish at the start but a nice bowl to traverse and you are down in a few turns then an easy path to schuss down and then onto the Marquis which I think runs into the Belvedere green.
snow conditions
pam w, I will try but I know if the pistes split and she ends up on a black or a red, it won't be pretty!

altis, Where does the Navette go? I've seen the bus timetable but didn't realise there was one. Is it a wee train on wheels like the ones in Les Gets and Morzine?

Any other tricky sections? Preferably ones with alternatives! Avoiding Croisette unless actually planning to get a lift from there seems sensible as it's bound to be busy.

Many thanks for all the other advice.

One final question, is there anywhere in La Tania or one of the Courchevel villages that does good Crepes? My children love pancakes, indeed I cooked them tonight, hence thought of the question.
snow conditions
Yes, there's a restaurant in La Tania does lovely crepes, but I can't remember it's name. (It does good other food too.)
ski holidays
Quote:

I will try but I know if the pistes split and she ends up on a black or a red, it won't be pretty!

but if she's a slow and nervous skier she will presumably not blast past the piste direction posts? And if she does at least it won't be your fault. what...snow, if your children's ability to eat pancakes is anything like mine, a creperie will bankrupt you. I once did a large number of "apres ski" pancakes, feeding 4 hungry teenagers. We worked out it would have cost around €80 in the creperie - and they wouldn't have been as good because we like loads of lemon juice and sugar, and the creperies generally offer just sugar (boring) or jam (sickly) or nutella (OK in small doses).
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Yes, there's a restaurant in La Tania does lovely crepes, but I can't remember it's name. (It does good other food too.)

It's this one: http://www.laferme.latania.fr/en/carte.php

(The toppings on the crepes were far from stingy).
ski holidays
Raceplate is spot on. As long as you avoid Roc Mugnier on the way home, which by the end of a busy day is very definitely a red, you will be fine. All the blues in Courchevel are great, particularly over by the drag lift in 1650. Have fun. Out there at half term.
ski holidays
They are only 3 and 1 but ate all but 1 pancake from a recipe that supposedly serves 4 (adults). I added extra veg: carrot, swede and spinach too. Best way of getting veg into son, daughter is especially keen on green ones! Thanks again sugarmoma666

The last run I skied has only 1 piste marker, a rusty sign marking the less frequently used entry. It's been a few years since I've been anywhere I needed to refer to a piste map.
latest report
We are off to la tania at the end of jan and now I'm a bit worried about the gravelles return home. Just how narrow is this road with a sheer drop? I will be with the kids and hubby and its like a worse nightmare for me. Don't fancy getting the bus back though
snow conditions
Gravelles is easy. Don't worry about it. Green is pretty flat at the top section, goes around the corner and steepens a touch but easy to snowplough down if you want. It's much easier than Roc Mugnier...
snow conditions
what...snow,
I would have a look at the conditions, and the amount of traffic at the end of the day, as well as how she is gettting on. To be honest there would be no shame in downlifting in the bubble if its busy and the conditions arent great, particularly until she gets a bit of confidence. Even the green does have a fairly steep section, which can get a bit congested with nervous/fallen begginers, and might be fairly unpleasant at times.

We were there at the start of the season, and I thought the pistes would certainly be to the top of the colour range for a beginner (admittedly in dodgy conditions!)

The last time I went out with a beginner with a similiar run home (different resort), considered the bubble down, we thought 'Im sure she will be fine' on the first day, brought her down the run to village, she fell and couldnt ski the rest of the week Embarassed
ski holidays
In 1650 there is a decent restaurant/pizzeria/creperie that is just behind the central square where the bubble goes from. Can't quite remember the name, but if you place the bubble in the bottom left corner, exit at the bottom right corner, down to the main road and left about 20 - 30 yards.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy