Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Off the cuff comment from my local ski shop earlier is that helmet sales are off the scale at the moment 'He referred to 'The Schumacher effect'' I don't suppose, if he were to aware of things, that he would mind be associated with people now deciding to take more care on the slopes than they did before. I guess his accident has shown that even the greatest aren't immune.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes on Austrian/German TV they were saying ski helmet sales had gone through the roof.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 20-01-14 20:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hells Bells wrote:
Jonpim, , brain and cervical injuries from New Year skiing accidents (but I suspect you will already know that).

Not wanting to be flippant on a serious and sad thread but how do you get cervical injuries from skiing??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
emwmarine, cervical as in neck as opposed to ladies parts
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah... so nothing to do with energetic apres ski then.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Today I noticed some just off piste rocks marked with black and yellow poles, Schumacher effect!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 19-01-14 19:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
emwmarine wrote:
Ah... so nothing to do with energetic apres ski then.

What I do after skiing is my own business wink Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any more news ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Reported in the sun (so taken with a pinch of tabloid salt) that the news is still not good, they are going to try and reduce brain activity further to reduce risk of bleeds before they bring him slowly out. Not really looking like a positive prognosis as of right now.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ansta1 wrote:
Reported in the sun (so taken with a pinch of tabloid salt) that the news is still not good, they are going to try and reduce brain activity further to reduce risk of bleeds before they bring him slowly out. Not really looking like a positive prognosis as of right now.

The fear is he'll be in a PSV due to severe trauma. Looks like my doctor contact at the CHU (mentioned a few pages back) might be correct.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
ansta1 wrote:

The fear is he'll be in a PSV due to severe trauma. Looks like my doctor contact at the CHU (mentioned a few pages back) might be correct.

Was Michael conscious at all after the accident?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Was Michael conscious at all after the accident?

yes, I think so - wasn't he reported as having been "agitated?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
emwmarine, he was reported as being conscious but becoming increasingly distressed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's a symptom of raised intra cranial pressure ie brain swelling
latest report
My father in law has been in a coma for the last 9 months after banging his head in a fall at home. His surgeons have said that with what they know about Schumachers injury they don't hold out much hope, sadly.
snow conditions
It looks like, maybe perhaps, or, in all probability wearing a helmet has simply caused more grief.
Much like accidents where victims restrained by seat belts live.

That's how I see it.
ski holidays
In Fairness nobody , NOT EVEN the surgeons can tell what will happen, brain injury is a very weird thing. My neice was hit by a car , had a massive head trauma on the night it happened she was given less than 1% survival, that was over then years ago. She was in an induced coma for six weeks, and from then on she spent several weeks in recovery. She is not the same young woman she was, and her life is expected to be shorter, but she Is alive , and is functional. I must ad she was not wearing a helmet crossing the road.
snow report
I won't wear a helmet unless I do a full day off piste,,,,,,,,,, he was using off piste crossing from one piste to another, I do that all the time. I won't wear a helmet.
I ride horses, if skiing doesn't kill me , riding will
snow conditions
allanm, eh? How does avoiding injury through using a safety device 'cause more grief'?
ski holidays
^^
allanm wrote:

latest report
allanm, I still don't get it, the point of a seat belt is to restrain you. Getting thrown from the car or bouncing around in the cabin is normally particularly bad for you in a crash.
snow conditions
meh, Yes, your right mate, I'm talking out my bottom. Sorry!
latest report
Puzzled
snow report
^^I think , heart of hearts, one or two would agree that in some circumstances you're better dead than alive, that's all.
snow conditions
meh wrote:
allanm, eh? How does avoiding injury through using a safety device 'cause more grief'?

He didn't say "avoiding injury".

He was talking about the situations where somebody would have been killed outright without the safety device, but survive in a seriously crippled or even vegetative state with it.

While I accept there are cases where that happens (and this could end up being one of them), I think the overall reduction in serious injury/death rates irs enough to outweigh those when looking at overall risk factors.
ski holidays
biddpyat, out of curiosity........... Do you wear a riding hat???
latest report
Wasn't this thread about MS rather than the benefits of wearing a helmet or not ?

I don't wear condoms.....discuss Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe wrote:
Wasn't this thread about MS rather than the benefits of wearing a helmet or not ?

Depends largely where you put it.
ski holidays
emwmarine wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:

Depends largely where you put it.

snow report
As we know little about his condition other than media speculation, should folks be more optimistic and hopeful about a full recovery? Talk about glass half empty. Some people even had a minutes silence outside the hospital.
snow report
One for the helmet debate - this video from 2002 of me and a few mates in La Grave shows why maybe wearing a helmet makes sense.

The scene in question is from 01:25

2002 La Grave Heroes - short trailer by Simon Bedford from Weathercam
http://vimeo.com/37019538
latest report
allanm wrote:
It looks like, maybe perhaps, or, in all probability wearing a helmet has simply caused more grief.

That's how I see it.

At least he has some chance to live. I'd rather have some chance than instant death. Maybe in this case the helmet could turn out to be the difference between life and death. Had he died instantly, I somehow doubt the grief would have been less. I doubt any of his family or friends are wishing he wasn't wearing a helmet!
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
allanm wrote:

That's how I see it.

At least he has some chance to live. I'd rather have some chance than instant death. Maybe in this case the helmet could turn out to be the difference between life and death. Had he died instantly, I somehow doubt the grief would have been less. I doubt any of his family or friends are wishingt he wasn't wearing a helmet!

That would depend on what you regard as life, For myself, I'm in the rather have instant death than permanent disability camp
snow conditions
That's one of the reasons I support the whole "right to die" thing.

Although to forgoe protection for 99% of cases because of worry about the 1% seems perverse.
snow conditions
It's difficult, anecdotally MS's accident has massively increased helmet sales so it would appear that many people would rather be in a vegetative state than dead.

I kind of disagree with uktrailmonster, I suspect perhaps there are some [of MS's 'colleagues'] that secretively wish circumstances had been different. It's definitely not the sort of thing you'd admit to though.
snow conditions
allanm wrote:
It's difficult, anecdotally MS's accident has massively increased helmet sales so it would appear that many people would rather be in a vegetative state than dead.

I kind of disagree with uktrailmonster, I suspect perhaps there are some [of MS's 'colleagues'] that secretively wish circumstances had been different. It's definitely not the sort of thing you'd admit to though.

In this case, a helmet may mean that a person is in a permanent vegatative state rather than dead but a helmet could also mean full recovery rather than pvs.

I still ski without a helmet as I simply cannot stand the presence or the heat
ski holidays
I for one ended the hypocrisy that used to see us preach the benefits of helmets to the children in the morning before they went to ski school and then went and skied unprotected.

I purchased a POC Receptor Bug helmet, it's extremely comfortable, to the point that I even forgot to take it off (no doubt aided by the distraction of taking off helmets, gloves, boots etc for 3x under 6yr olds).
snow report
allanm wrote:

Nobody wants to be a living vegetable but what if he ends up making a decent recovery in the end, which is quite possible? So with your logic, you wouldn't wear a helmet skiing or a seatbelt in a car (legalities aside in this case) just in case you ended up in a vegetative state because you didn't quite die in the initial crash.

But of course you could also quite possibly end up in a vegetative state in a crash without a helmet/seatbelt/arbitrary piece of passive safety kit. In some of those cases, perhaps the safety kit would have meant a lesser injury, which leaves your logic looking totally illogical. It all comes down to the severity of the crash in the end and the outcome of wearing a helmet or seatbelt or whatever safety kit is not by any means guaranteed to either save your life or leave you in a vegetative state. All you can really say is that your injuries are likely to be less severe, should you survive. In the Schumacher case, only time will tell whether or not the helmet has actually saved his life or left him in a perpetual coma. But in his shoes, I guess you would rather have been buried already than go through all the hassle of fighting to live?

I guess we all see things differently.
ski holidays
The logical course of action for anyone adamant that they would not wish to be horribly disabled or in a PSV is not to stop using safety equipment, but to make sure that they have given the power to make the necessary decisions to someone who understands their wishes. "Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Personal Welfare". https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/245571/LPA114_Health_welfare_LPA.pdf
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy