Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
Just heard that they have recovered his GoPro - that should help with working out who was to blame from an insurance perspective. Anyway, sad news. Hope he fully recovers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JLB wrote:
Just heard that they have recovered his GoPro - that should help with working out who was to blame from an insurance perspective. Anyway, sad news. Hope he fully recovers.

Might even confirm that it was an accident
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
marmotte16 wrote:
JLB wrote:

Might even confirm that it was an accident

I think you have misunderstood me. I don't dispute it was an accident but the recent posts were discussing the insurance side given the guy is worth over £500 million.

I'm sure they will analyse it to see if the pistes were clearly marked etc! It's a lawyers job to do such analysis...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing is Freedom . You take your choices and risks.

If no 3rd oarty is involved he Schumachr should not get a eurocent from any
insursnce company. PERIOD.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Unless he dies, in which case he may have a life policy. (Do people with that much money have life policies?).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton wrote:
Skiing is Freedom . You take your choices and risks.

Just saying what the legal team will be no doubt tasked with!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 4-01-14 22:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, if he paid for accident insurance, and he had an accident, then - prima facie - he is as entitled to be paid out by insurers as any of us. But I don't really expect you to understand that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
martinm wrote:
Unless he dies, in which case he may have a life policy. (Do people with that much money have life policies?).

Yes - just not 'off the shelf' ones like you or I.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:

Oh, and you were beginning to do so well too. If he insured against accidental death (and I'm sure he is very heavily insured) and premiums paid, then of course they'd pay out.

Anyway... news is that a German flight attendant caught the accident on helmet cam and has shown it to Der Spiegel. Appears to show MS travelling at approx 20kmh. It's being given to the prosecutor.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller wrote:
flight attendant ... helmet cam...

Now things are starting to get interesting. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is getting a bit too strange. Embarassed
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Not sure the "speeding" version was ever anything more than speculation.

The only version that's actually been put forward was that he went to help someone then fell. I would imagine that there will be a fairly thorough investigation (to test that version of events) given the potential insurance implications.

There may also be some footage nestling on someone's go pro film of themselves pootling round the piste.

What I thought on Thursday.

It sounds like a smart phone rather than a helmet camera, but I wonder if in future insurance companies will be keen to acquire footage of accidents on slopes to settle insurance claims, given the rapidly increasing amount of helmet camera and phone footage being taken (and that's before google glass).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Google glass will be as popular as bluetooth headsets cause it makes you look like just as much of a dickhead.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Joan Smith of The Independent - "Political Blonde" she calls herself, but clearly not the dumb variant - has some words on Michael Schumacher's situation ...

After Michael Schumacher's ski crash, the no-news avalanche
http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/after-michael-schumachers-ski-crash-the-nonews-avalanche-9039087.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am not sure I would call 20 km/h speeding.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, that was a good article in The Indescribably Boring. Sensible and well written. Makes it even clearer what a nonsense it all is having hundreds of nerds in Ferrari jackets standing outside holding a vigil.
snow conditions
London_Falcon wrote:
Thoughts go out to Schumacher and his family, fingers crossed for a full recovery.

"Risk Compensation" - for me, personally, wearing a ski helmet really does nothing to allay my fear of leg breaks, dislocated shoulders and exploded spleens. Honestly, head injuries are one factor but a torn ACL is a much more likely scenario and therefore the risk of that has more weighting for me.

me too.

I started wearing a helmet as I asked why I was sticking one on the kids heads and yet not wearing one myself. I thought Id hate it but, in all honesty, I dont really notice its there. I dont ski any differently - Im more scared of a broken leg than knocking my bonce as past experience has never seen my head hit the snow.
snow conditions
My kids never wore ski helmets either. They now ski at the ages of 25 and 26, capable of taking their own mature decisions about whether to wear them.

The difference between then (when they learned) and now is that many ski schools (the majority?) now make helmets compulsory.

If sensory deprivation is a significant issue in wearing helments - perhaps related to risk compensation - then it's better that all adults (parents or others) are allowed to take independent decisions on this, rather than an imposed nanny culture.
latest report
The Independent article seems to be expressing surprise that after the media builds up celebrities, people are er interested in celebrities.
snow report
That Independent article is the sort of cr4p they come out with as the flow of news lessens. On another thread is the Telegraph's equivalent - a fer thousand words on skiing safety with a few stats and some quotes. The Independent writes about how other newspapers write about the news, trying to keep nice and lofty. Mildly re-worded page filler IMHO (or is it IMAO nowadays?)
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith, wrote
Quote:

My kids never wore ski helmets either.

Shocked

well, I for one am glad mine do. Izzie got a fair whack on the head by someones skis when we were leaving the busy boot room one morning. Thankfully she didnt really even notice as she was wearing her helmet already wink
latest report
This video shows where it happened. Some Bild.TV reporters skied down the same spot.

http://youtube.com/v/HNrcycdDKik
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Comedy Goldsmith, wrote
Quote:

My kids never wore ski helmets either.

Shocked

Helmets didn't 'exist' though. At one time the only people who had helmets were the downhillers and freestyle aerialists (but not all of them). Even Slalom and GS racers didn't have helmets and the concept of a recreational skier having one would have been laughed at. I'm guessing CG's daughters learnt in that era.
snow report
What's the latest on Schumacer then ?
ski holidays
My mind wandered as I was at church this morning to the thoughts of Schumaker and helmets and I thought this one mans tragedy is going to make a huge difference to peoples attitudes to wearing helmets.

Its quite odd really .. that he is not particularly famous for his skiing and had little to say about helmets. (but he's obviously a very good skier!)

I must admit I am certainly not in the "Compulsory Wearing of helmets" camp, I like to think when I put on my skis or ride my bike I am free to do whatever I want.

I once said that the day I have to wear a helmet will be the day that I give up skiing. I considered it to be un-cool to wear a helmet and as skiing is really about dare-devil posing, its not the place to wear a helmet.

But two years ago I started wearing a helmet .... Yes it is still un-cool ... in fact it keeps my ears bloody warm.

Next decision is ... do I start to wear a helmet to ride my bike down the pub before lunch today?

I don't think I will, cycling is still all about freedom, and I find that its pfaaf enough locking and unlocking it as well as any more paraphernalia that might go with it.

Or I could wear my ski helmet ... that might look cool with my Snowheads sticker on the back.
snow report
micky, heavily sedated in an artificial coma.
ski holidays
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:

My kids never wore ski helmets either ...

Bode Swiller wrote:
Helmets didn't 'exist' though ... I'm guessing CG's daughters learnt in that era.

No, do the maths, Swiller. The girls learned to ski when lots of parents put their kids in lids.

I'm not saying I'm clever, and others will say I was stupid. I've never had a ski lid on my head and won't ever.

Here's an interesting one (I often wear a helmet when cycling): I saw a mother cycling in Hampstead recently, with two youngish children on their own bikes. None of them had helmets on.

It's a free country - that's the most important thing.
snow report
Comedy Goldsmith, sounds just like what I saw in Bangalore; A guy on a motorbike wearing a lid, with wife, daughter and goat on the back, all without lid...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
feef, From that video it doesnt look dangerous at all, more what we would think of a fun bit to ski. Easy to see how things can go wrong though.

Shimmy Alcott, With regard to Izzie, pleased she is ok but would you now condsider getting her a new helmet because of this ? From reading things in this thread thats the best course of action after a knock like that Confused
snow report
DrLawn wrote:
... (but he's obviously a very good skier!)...

I don't buy that. He looks rigid and 'un flowing' on the clips I've seen and part of being a 'very good skier' is good decision making. You can see from that Bild video above that there was no need to be in among the rocks - and the cover was much thinner on the day than on the video and, if there was a stricken skier he was going to rescue (I don't necessarily buy that either), you don't have to reach them on skis. If he'd made a good call and stayed on the piste either side we'd not be talking about this subject at all. It's become a helmet debate but really it should be a decision-making debate.
snow conditions
Bode Swiller wrote:

It's become a helmet debate but really it should be a decision-making debate.

I massively agree with this.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller, rasmanisar, +1
latest report
Bode Swiller, totally agree,
Quote:

If he'd made a good call and stayed on the piste either side we'd not be talking about this subject at all. It's become a helmet debate but really it should be a decision-making debate.

this makes sense entirely, and unfortunately.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:

The two are, of course, not mutually exclusive. You can make decisions with or without a helmet on.

That sounds like a joke but if we're discussing sensory deprivation and/or risk compensation - as perhaps influenced by the wearing of a helmet - then it may subconsciously influence the decision-making.
snow conditions
I'm not aware there is really a discussion of risk compensation going on, though you seem to want to impose one on this thread.
ski holidays
Quote:

Bode Swiller wrote:

isn't it now a decision-making debate about whether to wear a helmet?
ski holidays
Damn, I joined in . . .
ski holidays
johnnyh wrote:
Quote:

Bode Swiller wrote:

isn't it now a decision-making debate about whether to wear a helmet?

Nope, because as we've seen, making the wrong decision can mean the outcome is the same or virtually the same with or without one.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller
Quote:

He looks rigid and 'un flowing' on the clips

Some people just cant get enough flowing ... deep exhale of breath!
ski holidays
DrLawn, a fit skier immune to high speed with not very sound technique... what could possibly go wrong?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy