Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
He's been very unlucky I'd say. You can bang your head outdide the front door, tripping up or slipping on ice. Let's hope he recovers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
for F*** sake
I Started this thread
A Father, husband etc is fighting for his life
All some of you idiots can get into is bickering about helmets
Either you do or you dont - Its PERSONAL CHOICE - same crap comes out with cycling every time some poor bas**rd goes under a lorry
Grow up!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ansta1 wrote:
In the same way that in Your Particular field Stanton you are also a legend.

I think you're getting the word 'legend' confused with 'bellend' Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
martinperry wrote:
for F*** sake
I Started this thread.....

So you did. But you don't own it. Once started, a snowHeads thread has its own life.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter S, from the Mirror photograph it's clearly a field of rocks, a number of which are pretty large, three foot or so above the snow.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PJSki wrote:
davidof wrote:
Kramer wrote:
Just as an aside, doctors who state with certainty what would have happened had he not been wearing a helmet are talking outside their level of competence.

Perhaps.

The doctor said that "in view of the violence of the impact, someone who had such a shock without a helmet would not have made it as far as hospital". That doesn't seem like a totally unreasonable statement.

Indeed and these doctors are very, very experienced in this field.

LOL - I'm not going to get into an argument with the keyboard warriors of snowheads over it. I'm sure you know best.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer wrote:

LOL - I'm not going to get into an argument with the keyboard warriors of snowheads over it. I'm sure you know best.

Just quoting the words of a professor of neurosurgery in a major teaching hospital in a ski town. Personally I know nothing about it but his claim doesn't seem unreasonable.

Ob.Disclaimer

I'm not a helmet wearer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
60mph. rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I fear Stanton and CG don't wear seat belts in a car, not because it gives them a false sense of security, but because it affects their peripheral vision.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mollerski wrote:
60mph. rolling eyes

Obviously the Times story is pure (sensationalist) speculation...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BBC News had footage of what they claimed to be the piece of 'off piste' where the accident happened, it looked like a totally innocuous shallow slope around 10m wide between 2 marked runs. If it was the actual accident site, I think MS has been very very unlucky to injure himself.

However I'm not convinced of the accuracy of the report since some of the '3V Resort' footage they used was clearly taken on Cairngorm !

His accident has caused some serious conversations in our house today over our use of helmets. Combine this with viewing of the Crash Reel earlier in the month and I think I need to take a trip to S&R.

Love or hate his sporting achievements, MS is a human being with a family, I hope he makes a speedy and complete recovery.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The piece of 'off piste' where the accident happened

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has it snowed since the incident? Surely the many footprints and body imprint would give away which rock it was, and Michael's possible path he took? Not that it overly matters at this point
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not an F1 fan, and whenever I saw MS interviewed I can't say that I found him particularly likeable. But as numerous people have already said, the poor man's fighting for his life and his family will be shattered by these events. My deepest sympathy goes out to them.

To those drifting onto the helmet debate: Racing car drivers wear helmets; Rally drivers wear helmets; motorcycle riders wear helmets; bicycle riders wear helmets; ski jumpers wear helmets; ski racers wear helmets.................................................... But according to some on this thread recreational skiers shouldn't because they reduce peripheral vision or turn them into excessive risk takers and piste hogs, not caring about other skiers!!!!! It's not my intention to be insulting so I will not mention names, but they are buffoons.

Whilst ski racers reach nerve tingling speeds, even an intermidiot like me might reach 30 miles per hour. At those speeds a piste may as well be slab of concrete, and your head can end up like a piñata. Unless of course the laws of physics don't apply on the planet where you live...................................?
latest report
This discussion about the usefulness/danger of wearing a helmet reminds me of this news:
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/03/us-motorcycle-helmet-idUSTRE76220Q20110703
snow report
mozwold wrote:
It's not my intention to be insulting so I will not mention names, but they are buffoons.

ROTFLAMO - you compare the effectiveness of a motor sports helmet with the effectiveness of a ski helmet and then call other people buffoons. rolling eyes
ski holidays
And some of you think I'm an ass . . . this thread is an embarrassment Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
I have the deepest sympathy with all affected by this accident I was shocked & saddened by this news and I wish Mr Schumacher a full and speedy recovery.
I will stick my neck out and say however, from the reports I've read that state he was skiing very near to the Dent de Bergin chair lift between 2 marked pistes.
I was skiing in Meribel last week, as most of you may know, and I stopped right there on several occasions for a pit stop.
Even on Saturday after a Thurs/Fri dusting the rocks were visible everywhere, there had been freeze/thaw conditions since 30 Nov (last significant snowfall apparently). I love side of piste features but even I stayed firmly on the pistes, and even then was hitting the odd patch of terra.
So this accident, Unfortunate: Yes. Possibly tragic: Yes. Possibly even predictable, (especially if a speed loving Intermediate skier ventures off piste in the conditions described.) Yes
I have a lot of respect for Michael Schumacher's acheivements, I will say however, that I saw some footage of him skiing in what looked like a Ferrari sponsored slalom/GS event on TV (seemed recent), and I humbly think "Expert" would be over estimating his skiing ability. Probly better than me, but certainly not Expert.
I must reiterate that I am saddened by this news, but feel that it is an example of what can happen to any of us. You don't have to be going at F1 speeds or be an "Expert" for this kinda thing to happen to you
Read the conditions, wear a helmet and ski appropriately.
My thoughts are with Michael Sad

edit: typo
latest report
mozwold wrote:
To those drifting onto the helmet debate: Racing car drivers wear helmets; Rally drivers wear helmets; motorcycle riders wear helmets; bicycle riders wear helmets; ski jumpers wear helmets; ski racers wear helmets.................................................... But according to some on this thread recreational skiers shouldn't because ....

It's not my intention to be insulting so I will not mention names, but they are buffoons.

Don't worry, you didn't manage it. You may want to make sure you're not at the wrong end of the Dunning-Kreiger effect.

Neither car drivers nor pedestrians wear helmets, yet adoption of head protection by either of those groups could probably reduce head injuries more than the adoption of helmets by the ski industry has. Do you also harangue those groups, and if not, why not? Perhaps you were campaigning for snow-sport helmets before they were fashionable, but most people like you weren't.

People die every day on the roads in the uk. I'm sorry for all of them equally, celebrity or otherwise, but I'm not going to start trying to tell them what they should or should not do. Celebrity culture is no substitute for evidence.
snow report
philwig wrote:
mozwold wrote:
To those drifting onto the helmet debate: Racing car drivers wear helmets; Rally drivers wear helmets; motorcycle riders wear helmets; bicycle riders wear helmets; ski jumpers wear helmets; ski racers wear helmets.................................................... But according to some on this thread recreational skiers shouldn't because ....

Don't worry, you didn't manage it. You may want to make sure you're not at the wrong end of the Dunning-Kreiger effect.

Neither car drivers nor pedestrians wear helmets, yet adoption of head protection by either of those groups could probably reduce head injuries more than the adoption of helmets by the ski industry has. Do you also harangue those groups, and if not, why not? Perhaps you were campaigning for snow-sport helmets before they were fashionable, but most people like you weren't.

People die every day on the roads in the uk. I'm sorry for all of them equally, celebrity or otherwise, but I'm not going to start trying to tell them what they should or should not do. Celebrity culture is no substitute for evidence.

Interesting - is that anything to do with the Dunning-Kruger effect, the "cognitive bias in which unskilled individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly rating their ability much higher than is accurate" ?

source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect
ski holidays
Helmets ===

Please di not compare competitive pro snowsports with recreational.

Speed control on Pistes is required not Helmets.

Are we going to force folk who skin up the hill to wear helmets?
ski holidays

Strange question.

Obviously a ski-touring horse should wear a helmet.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 31-12-13 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
stanton wrote:
Helmets ===

Remember this one?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1191488&highlight=natasha+richardson#1191488
snow report
stanton wrote:

Are we going to force folk who skin up the hill to wear helmets?

I have a Giro helmet for alipne skiing and a lightweight salewa ski touring helmet.

A fifteen year old Dutch girl (who wasn't wearing a helmet) unfortunately died on Sunday 29/12 after a ski sccident.
http://steiermark.orf.at/news/stories/2622830/
My thoughts go out to her family and friends.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
60mph. rolling eyes

Obviously the Times story is pure (sensationalist) speculation...

The BBC were quoting that this morning. What a load of sensationalist bolloxs, makes me sick.
snow report
Sounds like some (limited) signs of improvement following second operation overnight.
snow report
Quote:

I have a lot of respect for Michael Schumacher's acheivements, I will say however, that I saw some footage of him skiing in what looked like a Ferrari sponsored slalom/GS event on TV (seemed recent), and I humbly think "Expert" would be over estimating his skiing ability. Probly better than me, but certainly not Expert.

Chances are Mr Schumacher probably has not done as much skiing as one would imagine.
He has been a professional driver since his late teens so will probably been prevented from skiing in his contracts.
Ferrari have an annual team ski trip but even that will be a lot of "work" as well as skiing.
He may well have done less skiing than a recreational skier of a similar age

Speedy and complete recovery hoped for.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

My goggles restrict my peripheral vision, my helmet does not.

Yes, but the fashion police insist that you cannot wear sunnies with a helmet, even on a warm spring day, you must wear goggles with a helmet!.
snow conditions
This photo puts a bit more context on the cropped version above.

latest report
Going off piste and the thin snow cover think I'd rather try and put a helmet on the bottom of each ski whilst they're getting so trashed at the moment, going to run out of my current supply of petex soon at this rate doing mine and my mates skis rolling eyes

tangowaggon, get some Scott LCG goggles, been using them past three weeks and no more worries about limited vision.
latest report
This may, at the end of the day, be a case of just terribly bad luck, in which case all we can do is extend our heartfelt sympathy to the poor guy. However, he is certainly no fool, and I can’t help feeling shocked, thinking that if this could happen to him, it could happen to anyone. Some other reflections therefore:
1. If Dave 2227 / Daily Mirror’s picture is really of the accident spot, should there not be diversion chevron signs above it?
2. Are conditions generally at the moment pretty hairy, ie icy and rocky, underneath a dusting (which arguably makes things even more treacherous)?
3. I wouldn’t ski backcountry without a guide, but ski sidecountry without one all the time. Is this foolhardy?
4. Speed may have been an issue, we don’t know. But I feel like I should get a professional asap to tell me if I’m not as skilled as I think I am, and whether I ski too fast for my real ability.
latest report
Looking at the pic of where the accident ocurred, it's possible Schumacher didn't want to ski off piste but as with many fatal ski accidents a mistake is made on piste and the skier flys off the piste at speed then hits something hard (e.g. a tree). Heard his helmet broke on impact. Wouldn't have thought anyone would purposefully ski between those rocks at such a speed to break a helmet.
snow report
Weathercam, have you just tried to turn this thread into an advert for your website?
latest report
DB, according to Bild speaking to Schmacher's PR (so one may want to aim off a bit) the accident wasn't the result of high speed, he webt to help a friend who had fallen over, he hit a rock, lost control and fell on another rock.
ski holidays
Weathercam,

That's a bit sick, using this thread to promote your website...
latest report
Looking at that photo, the piste seems to split around the rocks! Can't see the exact signage but it looks easy to stray into them!

Sounds like some good news from the hospital.
latest report
More thoughts from Gary Hartstein on this morning's press conference.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/31/tuesday-press-conference-take-1/
latest report
If that is the site on the front of The Mirror above and who knows based on the press bollox that flies about.....then there's nothing particularly ignominious about that terrain, I'm sure many people on here have skied in similar many many times. It's real bad luck if you hit a shark and get flung onto another, chunks of our bases reflect how tight the error margins are, but control and speed restraint, flat bases are key.....thoughts with Schumi!

PS What is Brian May's hair all about?
snow report
Snowheads Gold !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy