Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Michael Schumacher "Gravely injured" in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
I seem to remember that the story about the GoPro mount came from one of his family rather than from staff at a hospital.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/2014/10/15/gopro-may-pursue-legal-action-against-journalist-for-false-schumacher-crash-accusations/#1508e4ea57ef
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JamesN wrote:

One of our ski party was in Moutier hospital due to a torn ACL and was told by the staff who treated Schumacher(on the quiet) that his injury was caused by a metal gopro mount going through his helmet and into his head. It's certainly not an argument for not wearing a helmet, just not wearing a metal gopro mount.

A "metal" gopro mount? They are all plastic unless he was using some sort of after-market bracket. A case of Chinese whispers I reckon.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's not the first time I've heard this. I heard that his helmet was likely drilled. I don't know if it's true or not, but the intricacies of the accident are for no one to know except him. so have treated speculation with caution.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@uktrailmonster, Sorry I should have phrased it better, I meant a 3rd party mount as opposed to the official ones that are plastic as you say.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain Addiction wrote:
It's not the first time I've heard this. I heard that his helmet was likely drilled. I don't know if it's true or not, but the intricacies of the accident are for no one to know except him. so have treated speculation with caution.

You know I find this so hard to believe. This is a guy who used to wear £10K a pop custom Schuberth motor racing helmets. He would be well aware that drilling a crash helmet is a really bad idea. But anyway it's all total speculation. Hardly anybody knows what really happened or what condition he's in today.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@uktrailmonster, yep, you'd have thought he'd be aware of the safety implications. Although of course as far as he was concerned the helmet he wore for racing would've been a freebie that he just had to turn up for fitting and pick a colour Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@uktrailmonster, yep, you'd have thought he'd be aware of the safety implications. Although of course as far as he was concerned the helmet he wore for racing would've been a freebie that he just had to turn up for fitting and pick a colour Very Happy

He was well into the safety aspect of F1 and worked very closely with Schuberth on development of their racing helmets. I'm sure he didn't pay for them, but I know other F1 drivers had to! It would be most ironic if a bodged up gopro mount was the cause of his skiing injury! We'll probably never know.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

the cause of his skiing injury
was making a poor decision about the terrain he skied into.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pruman wrote:
Quote:

the cause of his skiing injury
was making a poor decision about the terrain he skied into.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Gerry, well, he had choices rolling eyes

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well that's silly.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pruman wrote:
@Gerry, well, he had choices rolling eyes

And he'd have gotten way with it too, if it hadn't been for that pesky gopro mount!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gerry, yeah, obviously the fault of GoPro, not pilot error at all. I mean rocks are so fluffy and nice aren't they - like a yummy pillow. The irony of all this is that a gazillion people then rushed out to buy a helmet upon which they also mounted a GoPro. Charles Darwin would have enjoyed all this stuff.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
uktrailmonster wrote:

You know I find this so hard to believe. This is a guy who used to wear £10K a pop custom Schuberth motor racing helmets. He would be well aware that drilling a crash helmet is a really bad idea. But anyway it's all total speculation. Hardly anybody knows what really happened or what condition he's in today.

Just as well I said that I treat speculation with caution then.... anyone would think there was credible evidence to support this and get huffy... oh
snow conditions
I've lost the plot here... what is his status, not good? anymore detail than this?
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam wrote:
I've lost the plot here... what is his status, not good? anymore detail than this?

In short no.
latest report

Just as well I said that I treat speculation with caution then.... anyone would think there was credible evidence to support this and get huffy... oh

I wasn't getting huffy, it just sounded like an unlikely story. I mean who drills their helmet to fit a gopro anyway? It doesn't make any sense.
ski holidays
Quote:

I mean who drills their helmet to fit a gopro anyway

No one given the whole sticky sticky mount is the bonus of a gopro. But other gopro-a-likes have mounts that need drilling.
snow report
Without going into the whole thing again, some detailed photos showed where he had fallen and how he had bounced from one rock to another. I took away two things:
a) he had to have been carrying quite a bit of speed when he hit the first rock
b) anyone expecting their ski helmet to give them enough protection in that kind of incident, gopro or no gopro, is likely to be very disappointed
Poor bloke and family.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Without going into the whole thing again, some detailed photos showed where he had fallen and how he had bounced from one rock to another. I took away two things:
b) anyone expecting their ski helmet to give them enough protection in that kind of incident, gopro or no gopro, is likely to be very disappointed
Poor bloke and family.

+1 on all points.
ski holidays
Quote:

+1 on all points.

Agreed.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:
Poor bloke and family.

This one?

What I take away from this.

1. I wouldn't have skied into that area. I've been skiing off-piste long enough to know better.
2. Some here have no doubt learned something valuable because of this accident, even though they are now acting like you knew better all along.
ski holidays
Gerry wrote:
2. Some here have no doubt learned something valuable because of this accident, even though they are now acting like you knew better all along.

Absolutely, it's certainly made me consider the way that I'll act off piste (when I'm eventually good enough).

I do think a lot of people may be wise after the event, particularly given that the photo shows the scene from the reverse angle and after it had been tracked. From the direction he was heading it may well have looked much safer to ride....although if he knew the resort then it's mental to go there, the whole area around those pistes is a moonscape of rocks.
latest report
Quote:

1. I wouldn't have skied into that area. I've been skiing off-piste long enough to know better.

@Gerry,

I agree about that given its location but if you've skied off-piste a lot then I'm sure you've had to navigate sections like that to gain access to a good off-piste descent. In fact, there is a classic example higher up that mountain - the way in to the Tournier (Meribel) couloir from the Saulire often needs some delicacy around rocks to get into the good stuff. But what you do when you need to ski through rocky terrain is go very slow because you know you could hit a rock below the surface at any time and don't want to go summersaulting down a boulder field.
snow report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

@Gerry,

I agree about that given its location
but if you've skied off-piste a lot then I'm sure you've had to navigate sections like that to gain access to a good off-piste descent. In fact, there is a classic example higher up that mountain - the way in to the Tournier (Meribel) couloir from the Saulire often needs some delicacy around rocks to get into the good stuff. But what you do when you need to ski through rocky terrain is go very slow because you know you could hit a rock below the surface at any time and don't want to go summersaulting down a boulder field.

'Its location', there you go then.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 8-02-16 19:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
If a positive can be taken from this extremely sad event, it is the realisation that off piste accidents can happen within metres of the edge a piste, by someone who could be regarded as extremely competent skiers. This is a spot where I have often crossed without trepidation when I have decided to change piste, and that time I would not consider this to be a dangerous manoeuvre.

Ironically despite MS having been wearing a helmet, his accident may have contributed to greater helmet awareness and maybe more attention being paid to the type of helmet and the advisability of mounting non OEM GoPro brackets. I noted in the morning queue in Ischgl last week that every one of maybe 100 skiers was wearing a helmet ... times are changing.
snow conditions
@Gerry, er... no.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

'It's location', there you go then.

eh? what do you mean? I thought you were pulling me up on my grammar but it turns out I got it right the first time - "its". And what am I going again about? genuinely confused Confused
latest report
I think you'll find his skiing wasn't a patch on his driving, from the videos.

It's impressive that when helmets fail to protect, that's still considered evidence for their use.

There's always a possibility that people will lose control at the wrong time - near a cliff, trees, or in this case rocks. Experts do that too: none of us are entirely immune. Some of us (and helmet manufacturers) have argued that a helmet's unlikely to make a lot of difference in these circumstances.
snow report
jedster wrote:
Quote:

'It's location', there you go then.

eh? what do you mean? I thought you were pulling me up on my grammar but it turns out I got it right the first time - "its". And what am I going again about? genuinely confused Confused

It's location, location, location. It's (on that day) a rubbish bit of rock infested terrain. I'm glad we agree it wasn't worth skiing. And, of course, thanks for the advice on how to deal with such terrain when it needs to be crossed.
snow conditions
Quote:

And, of course, thanks for the advice on how to deal with such terrain when it needs to be crossed.

FFS I was just explaining my point about why I took a lesson about speed rolling eyes
snow report
Bottom line is s h I t happens
latest report
Top line is it doesn't have to
snow report
Quote:

+ 1
snow conditions
Pruman wrote:

But it always will.
ski holidays
jedster wrote:

FFS

Federation Fuckwit de Skieurs?

Sey esac ruoy ni yas t'nod dna.
latest report
philwig wrote:

It's impressive that when helmets fail to protect, that's still considered evidence for their use.

So I suppose you think it's evidence in favour of not wearing a helmet? I don't think it's evidence either way in the great helmet debate.
snow report
philwig wrote:

I agree, I think his skiing ability was somewhat exaggerated by the media.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster wrote:
philwig wrote:

I agree, I think his skiing ability was somewhat exaggerated by the media.

Yes, he was an intermediate skier with a camera on his helmet who smashed into some rocks on the side of a poorly signposted trail.

It was 33% skier mis-decision, 33% camera mis-design, and 33% resort mis-protection.

Nobody comes out of it smelling of roses.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy