Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sealskinz Extreme Cold vs. Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski / GTX Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
I'm look for a really warm glove. I can order online but there is nowhere local to go and actually take a look at any of these gloves. Anyone have experience using any or all of these?

Sealskinz Extreme Cold
http://www.sealskinz.com/UK/gloves/kj771-extreme-cold-weather-gloves-black.html

Hestra Heli Ski
http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-glove/

Hestra GTX
http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/alpine-pro/xcr-glove/

Which should I go for, disregarding price?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depending on how warm you need, maybe the zanier heat gtx. i really suffer from cold hands and these are the best i have found.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have Hestra Helis. They're awesome for me. Fave kit
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My wife got me a pair of Hestra 3 fingure mits last year for my trip to Val Thorens in February. They were warm and great to wear. This year I am going to Saalbach in a couple of weeks so unless there is a cold snap will be using my old 20 quid pair as Hestra's will be too warm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kino 901 gloves get great reviews. SnowShepard stocks them. They may not have the visual appeal of Hestras, but I'll be trying them out this season if it is cold.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've got the Hestra heli ski leather and I think they're awesome - super warm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
whisper wrote:
I'm look for a really warm glove.

Get mittens. Definitely much warmer than gloves. Black Diamond Mercury is the model that's popped up most often in previous glove threads here (might be worth a quick search).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have just got the Hestra Skier cross mitts. I think they are pretty warm as the wrist thing is really good, snuggly warm, easy to put on and wide.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got the Hestra gloves, and my boyfriend has the three finger mittens - while the glove is certainly warm (and comfy and looks well-made), the mittens are warmer.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always skied in mittens, cheap and cheerful. Never once had cold hands Bought the hype and bought some hestra hell gloves. Had to buy silk liners to make them warm enough in very cold weather. Nice gloves but will be buying mittens again next time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hestra Seth Morrison 3 fingers for really cold weather for me, Hestra Skicross for the rest of time, though as to how warm they will be its down to you and your circulation really, as you'll see above they don't cut it for everyone. I like the close fitting ones hence the two mentioned above but again not to everyone's taste!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have just got some Hestra Helis and love them, easily the best glove I've had and will suit all sorts of "normal" european cold to spring skiing. But I have been told they won't be warm enough for Canada in January, so the simple answer is to do what I do on the motorbike when it gets really cold...just add a pair of over mitts (I actually use Held 3-finger lobster overgloves)... sorted I hope and a much cheaper option than buying a pair of mitts just for one trip.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got Hestra Helis a few years back, on recommendations from this forum and I've never regretted it. Toasty warm.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
C&A 1989 -25C. They have been sewn up more than once and the leather is on the way out and I only use them when it's really cold.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 Hestra Heli three finger mitts - also love the removable inner full finger glove firstly to wash and refresh secondly the individual fingers give that added 'control' you sometime lose in an open mitt Toofy Grin
latest report
One more vote for Hestra helis
ski holidays
+1 on the Hestras. My Dad has had his Army Leather GTXs for a while and he says they are great, and I use the slightly more affordable Gore Tex Classic which has leather palms : https://www.freezeproshop.com/hestra-gore-tex-classic-leather-gloves/colour:25056/size:25058?country=GB&currency=GBP&utm_source=GoogleShopping&gclid=CPGx8rPM4rsCFUkCwwodPQQAOg .

They have always kept my hands dry in very wet snow or rain, and keep my hands very warm !
snow report
Hestra Vertical Cut for me. Lovely.
snow conditions
Used a pair of Hestra army leather GTX for years, very tough and warm. Only downside is that the liners are not removable so they can be too hot on warmer days. Eventually cut the liners out of mine last year when the gloves were getting wet (with sweat) and my hands pruned by lunchtimes - the gore-text membrane had become non breathable either by repeated applications of leather balm soaking through or when I washed them with normal detergent rolling eyes

Have also had a pair of Hesta Heli Ski as my spare gloves. The liners are removable but I find the cuffs a bit too long (they are longer than the GTX's).

Picked up a pair of Hestra Army Leather Patrol towards the end of last season and so far am very happy with them as my main gloves. Same basic , bomb proof, construction as the heli, with removable liner but a short cuff.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 5-01-14 10:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Just for balance, I have a pair of thin sealskin gloves in the car for emergencies. They constantly get used for clearing wet snow off the roof etc. and have been great for this always remaining dry and warm. I do like the sound of those helis though. Very Happy
ski holidays
If you are happy with mitts, I'd get these:

http://www.snowandrock.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=OTR0074RR&gclid=CM6TpdSI6bsCFWmWtAod_H8AoQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I climbed in Alaska in -50 (lower if you add windchill) with these, or at least their predecessors, and unlike some of my companions I avoided frostbite

Also maybe consider the Venitex gloves that you see a lot of guides and pisteurs wearing. They're not the most fashionable thing going but as they say, when in Rome...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy