Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying a Gore Tex Pro hard shell

Poster: A snowHead
I am going on a few ski holidays this winter and I desperately need a new ski jacket as my current one is a horrible 1990s Rossignol insulated number.

I find that with my current jacket, I always end up sweating like crazy when I'm bombing down the red and black runs. I have decided that I'd like to get a hard shell. A 3-layer Gore-Tex Pro. This will give me the waterproof and windproof that I need with the option of layering underneath for the warmth that I need.

Cutting to the chase... I WANT an Arc-teryx Caden/Rush/Sidewinder/, but these jackets are, at best £350-£400.

I realise that if I wait until April I may get a better deal, but the problem is that I need a new jacket NOW.

I'd like to pay as close to £200 as possible for a jacket. I could go to £250 but that's the top end of my budget.

Something like the Mountain Equipment Tupilak seems a little more do-able than an Arc-teryx.

Any wisdom would be appreciated. I feel like I want an Arc-teryx, can't afford one, but don't know what I should be doing.

Cheers in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
theLOLkid, Mountain Equipment are a good brand, all you can do is find something similar to the Arc jacket you want that is cheaper or try to find a web shop or similar doing some kind of discount on last years stuff.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep you eye on Sportpursuit, in the last few months they've had that sort of jacket around that price from Marmot and Mountain Hardware. Nothing atm.

I've an ME Changabang that I got for under £200, you have to keep looking for the bargains.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 28-12-13 22:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
try Sport Conrad eg haglofs jacket on sale now
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
theLOLkid, hi there is a great shop in Blackburn called outdoor action they sell mountain equipment jackets 3 layer goretex for £120 good jackets,if I didn't have so many I would snap one up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You do have to go to the store though as they are not advertised on line or give them a call they are open Sundays.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds dumb I know, but Tackymax? The one in Galway had a Haglofs Couloir II (the one chrisJersey mentions above) in store for €160. If only it fitted me, so close, just not enough room for layering! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Go outdoors have got some deals on Marmot jackets at the mo.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last week TKMax had some North Face Gor-Tex shells for £200 think the rrp on them was about £340-£400.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Check this out

Not exactly what you are looking for but fantastic price (and a further 10% for super/mega snowHeads!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is a great jacket too.. http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/haglofs-mens-couloir-ii-jacket?gclid=CKbMotrj17sCFZLKtAodsg4AFw
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I switched to a Montane Extreme Jacket this year, which is an insulated pertex based soft shell. It was absolutely perfect for me doing laps of black runs and off piste where I would have been getting very, very warm in my old jacket. Keeps you warm when you need it too, I.e. standing still/chairlifts. Only £120 or so from the shops ATM, which means you have cash spare for some nice base layers and maybe an extra fleece layer for if the weather decides to go mental.

Oh and yes, it is waterproof, very much so.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I like the Montane Extreme gear, but it is quite hot and heavy. I run quite hot, so I wouldn't want to be using it unless it was very chilly indeed but YMMV.

I do like the gloves and mitts for normal use, however.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Serriadh wrote:
I like the Montane Extreme gear, but it is quite hot and heavy.

No worries. I have hereditary low blood pressure so tend to be quite chilly, the Montane was perfect for me. If you're warm then I'd go forward with the idea of a light base layer, micro-fleece layer and a very lightweight hardshell with decent venting.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All: thank you for the excellent advice so far - very useful. In particular, thank you for the recommendations of some retailers with good deals.

I have visited all of the sites which have been mentioned, such as a Craigdon, TK Maxx, Ellis Brigham. I believe you're right in it being a case of checking regularly and pouncing when a good deal comes up.

I'd like to emphasize that I'd like a Gore Tex Pro (3-layer hard shell) rather than a 'lighter' technology such as Paclite, but I am struggling to find a Gore Tex Pro jacket at my budget, although I am able to find Gore Tex Soft Shell and Paclite construction jackets for that kind of price.

I have found the Arc-teryx Stingray jacket at £199, which I am tempted by:
http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=mens&category=Jackets&subcat=Waterproof_Shell&model=Stingray-Jacket

It uses Gore Tex 3-layer softshell construction rather than 3-layer Gore Tex Pro, but I think I am happy enough that it will offer the level of water and windproof that I need. It is lightly insulated, which I didn't want, but the insulation is so light that I don't think it'll be a problem. I'll probably layer it with a thermal layer next to my skin and a fleece mid-layer.

What do folk think? Any objections to the Arc-teryx Stringray?
snow report
Keep an eye on Amazon too. I got a pair of Arcteryx shell pants from the year before off there for about half price... But it helps if you search for particular styles.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy