Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Essential bits of kit & other great tips...

Poster: A snowHead
I'm a little bit of a gear head. Shocked I also 'like' to be quite organised and prepared, over the years I have picked up a few things that I'm sure many of you will know about, some use & maybe others that you have never heard of.

This thread shouldn't be about the pros & cons of each particular suggestion. Just a show & tell. It’s about sharing, not who started what either Wink

I'll kick things off with a few:

Attach key rings to gloves, goggles, beanie, whistle and anything else (small enough SZK) you might drop on a chair or a drag, and then clip them to a small carabiner somewhere about your person as an when needed.

Wind a length of duct tape around your ski poles. If you ever need to make an on-mountain repair, voila. Just roll it back off the pole and stick away.

Spare socks in your packback can double up as glove, if you loose a glove but still have dry feet... (OK that was basic)

Remove snow from goggles by breathing on it, using a cloth might scratch the lens. Use a hand drier if needed.

If you tour adapt regular ski poles by wrapping tennis racket grips underneath the hand grips. Better grip when traversing. Also makes your stocks less stealable...

Not sure if this one counts: Buy CatTracks, at £13 they are indispensable. They protect your shells and make walking noticeably easier.

Empty pint pots make great christmas present for small children.

Pensioners, make your money go further by shoplifting from your local supermarket.

Couldn't resist the last two, sounded far too much like Viz.

Whatyagot?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Keep your camera/spare batteries in inside pockets. Body warmth will help the batteries last a bit longer.

Cut out a large T and stick it on your television, and a large M and stick that on your microwave. That will help stop you spending hours watching mind-numbing TV in the kitchen, when you could have been watching the meat get nuked.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shopping trolleys make great christmas presents for familes and they only cost a quid.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
New rule. No tip = no joke.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ziploc bag for camera before going indoors.

Change duct tape around poles once a year if unused

Bike handlebar or hockey tape if you can't find racket grips

Wash helmet in shower: shampoo, don helmet, rub scalp with inside of helmet, rinse hair & helmet.

Steel split rings through zippers to for emergency zipper pull repair & clip points.

Flaming gay stickers make the thief too embarassed to walk off with your skis.

Hmmm, and now for a joke.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're going anywhere off the beaten track - a whistle.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex wrote:
Change duct tape around poles once a year if unused
I have heard reccommendations for changing car tyres around periodically to even out any wear, although that was not for modern cars. But I cannot see any point in swapping duct tape around.
comprex wrote:
Hmmm, and now for a joke.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If going by car always pack the snow chains last and ensure someone else in your party is the clever technical macho man. Blush

and the joke...
It's a long way to the Garage in La Plagne from the 'Zone chainage' to buy more chains 'cos no-one checked that the garage in England had supplied the right size!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
if you are using a camel pack / back pack with water pack in, make sure you get one with
1. cover for the pipe so it doesn't freeze
2. has a lock valve so doesn't drip and freeze

carry contact lens eye drops in case contacts play up (or you get hit in eye with ski pole on chair lift Sad

spare pair of gloves just in cases you lose one

joke: ???

when skiing down hill remember you are the landing zone for the person behind out of control
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would say don't bother with fancy pipe covers (the one I had made no difference) but simply blow the water back into the bladder, no freezing problems then.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swiss Army knife, invaluable for Screwdriver, Pliers, Sissors, Tweezers, Corkscrew, Bottle opener, file, saw and even the knife blade, but not so far the fish descaler and hook remover
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Adrian wrote:
But I cannot see any point in swapping duct tape around.

The adhesive gets old & crumbly or evilly stuck.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm a big fan of Smiths "Sliders" sunglasses - you can change the lenses depending on light conditions.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Get powder baskets on your poles sorted now - if you need them - because you can bet the resort will not have your type... includes Sallie poles...!!!!

And check that they don't need replacing, take a spare etc....!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I need some powder baskets for my rossi poles - where to find the b*ggers though. Might have to pop into my local stores and see if any spares will fit.
snow conditions
Scarpa, spares should fit - most metal poles are the same but with different paint jobs. Alternatively, I've got powder baskets from Decathalon in the past.
ski holidays
if you use carbon fibre poles, wrap duct tape around them just above the baskets. Carbon-fibre is very strong UNLESS it gets chipped by ski edges.

Powder trails!!! Very cheap, very small to carry, amazingly worthehile when they save you 30 mins of looking for your ski.
Also, I like to wear a strap around my leg just between top of calf and knee - much easier for tucking in powder trails than stuffing up your pants or down your boots.

Camelbak - if it does get frozen, pull the valve off and squeeze the bladder - the plug of ice should just squirt out

J
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy