Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Noobie snow making question

Poster: A snowHead
Embarassed So what is the score with the snow making machines, when and were do they tend to be used? Embarassed
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Renry, the key thing is they only work when it's cold! I think that was my biggest mistaken pre-conception, I assumed that it would always be alright because they could make snow. However, if the air temperature is above about -4C they make rain, and that's useless. I believe the air humidity has to be right too.

My observation is that resorts will run snowmakers whenever they get the opportunity, and in recent years I know that some Italian resorts were opening entirely on the basis of artificial snow.

If you happen to be ski-ing on a piste where snowmaker is occuring - ski-ing into the 'plume' is like ski-ing into a small, heavy snow storm. Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, the latest ones do run up to about +2 deg now, however they're too expensive to replace except when broken so most resorts have a mixture which run in different temps! Ian Hopkinson, is right: resorts will make snow whenever possible, regardless of whether there's a lot of the real stuff or not. This helps to build a big base in case of a prolonged warm spell. You usually only see them running at night, but currently most resorts are running them 24/7 as it's been really cold and there hasn't been any real snow low down (until today) Very Happy Very Happy

These machines are incredibly expensive to buy and to run, so next time you think your lift pass is expensive .................... Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Americans seem to do artificial snow better than the Europeans IMHO, they will run them in some eastern resorts even during snow storms on certain runs to build a large enough base to keep running through any warm periods.

Regards

Greg
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski wrote:
Renry, the latest ones do run up to about +2 deg now

-2C I think you will find and that only if you use an additive such as Snowmax. You can make snow at any temperature if you precool the water but that is extremely expensive and not practical for widespread use.

Regarding US/European snow making I was reading an article recenty saying how far behind the Septics had fallen, at least compared to France. French resorts having much better and more efficient snow making equipment, partly due to the cost of energy.

The problem, in places like the Savoie, is snowmaking is replacing a lack of snowfall but this is in itself due to a drying out of the area - 30% less precipitation since 1970. Water management and how this resource is used is going to be a BIG issue over the next 20 years.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
interesting info David, I guess the sceptics place so much importance on the thanksgiving period that early snowmaking is essential....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
At the PSB (October, Les Deux Alpes) at resort level when it was v. warm, there was a limited amount of snow being made. There was a large containerised unit with big fans on the top which I assume was a chiller unit. This fed a snow cannon, there was real snow being shovelled around ! snowHead
I assume this is v.expensive to run.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Im going to Zell am See on the 17th Dec and If im correct that is the opening day there. Does that mean that these machines will be used from that day if the need / conditions allow?

Even without snow at Zell I know that kitzsteinhorn is looking good anyway Little Angel , but it is interesting to get an idea of what to expect at resort when I get there. From your experiences what can I expect in regards to snow on opening week at resort level? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Renry, Snow looks quite good at ZaZ at the mo. You really dont need much depth at ZaZ to have great skiing. If the week before you go there is a bit of snowfall on the base already there then it will be great. Regular top ups to the base layer and cold temps will generally mean fantastic conditions. If the snow is poor and your group is inexperienced then stick to the slopes between 2000m - 1400m where the snow will be better and the runs generally easier. ZaZ is a bit like a sponge pudding in shape, with the flatter runs at the top. The runs below 1400 back to the base stations can be tricky for the inexperienced if the snow isnt very good. This is not a problem as you have a choice of lifts that will download you safely back to ZaZ.

One other thing; if you see a mound of artificial snow lying on the piste that has come out of a nearby snow cannon then try and ski round it as it has a strange consistency and snow will stop you dead. A bit like wet cement. ZaZ is the most beatiful place, you'll have a ball.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Renry, As a taster here are a couple of ZaZ shots. It was a very cold day, Bright sunshine buy -18C.
Photo1
Photo2

You will have to register in the media zone (if not already done) to see the pics. PS thats "the wife"
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A was allready registered thanks Frosty the Snowman, nice pickies. And thanks again for the help and advice.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Renry, One other thing; if you see a mound of artificial snow lying on the piste that has come out of a nearby snow cannon then try and ski round it as it has a strange consistency and snow will stop you dead. A bit like wet cement.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Answering the 'where' part of Renry's question, they are often installed at critical points in the system where a loss of snow would seriously mess up the use of lifts etc. For example, on runs back to resort. On lower areas of mega resorts. On slopes which don't hold snow well because south facing, wind scoured or whatever.

Some places can't run them as much as they would like to because of water shortages. And they are expensive both in capital costs to install and maintenance and running costs.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Renry,One other thing; if you see a mound of artificial snow lying on the piste that has come out of a nearby snow cannon then try and ski round it as it has a strange consistency and snow will stop you dead. A bit like wet cement. ZaZ is the most beatiful place, you'll have a ball.

I skiied through piles of the stuff in Sestriere earlier this year and found it varied from wet cement through fluffy to one pile that just launched me in the air as if it were a ramp Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The machines can be set to make any grade and consistency of snow from powder to concrete. Typically they make concrete. It's most useful from a practical point of view.

Skiing through the plume is most unpleasant.
snow report
davidof, Ours have definitely been running at temps above freezing until the last couple of days. The big "cannons" seem to be able to run at much higher temps than the "guns", however the new "guns" that were installed last year and this year have also been running in warmer temps. I don't know a great deal about the technology, but clearly it's improving. I'm glad I don't have the bills though! Shocked

I wonder how many holiday-makers moan about the cost of the liftpass without giving a second thought to the cost of the cannons and the lifts (to say nothing of the running costs). A few years ago I was told that every time they start the Jandri Express from a standstill it costs £1000. Shocked Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy