Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do on a draglift ?

Poster: A snowHead
Since we have a chairlift thread, here is a companion. My activities are very ordinary, and since going to MK this week I can tell you that...
I continually search for hankies, blow my nose, pull up my trousers (which fall down) adjust my boots, take off my gloves and clean my specs. Any SH members of the pylon high club ? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny, Pray Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IncogSkiSno,
Quote:

snowbunny, Pray

What are you hoping for, something exciting? Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What I do on a draglift is similar to what I do on a stairlift. Just hold on and wait for the excitement of reaching the top.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm with IncogSkiSno, and, if on my board, I pray. Pray hard that is. If on skis I quite happily admire the view on the way up and avoid getting on behind another boarder.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually look out to see where the children have fallen off. rolling eyes

There were some nasty drag lifts in Isenau (near Les Diablerets) last year, which lifted my youngest clear of the ground for quite a distance near the top. As she sailed through the air, she slowly rotated so that by the time the lift put her back down again, her skis were at 90 degrees to the line of travel. Each time we did that route (and there weren't many options otherwise) she just hung on and was dragged the final 50m up the piste. There was nothing we could do about it, but it is a little scary as a parent.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
look out for off piste routes I can try Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As a boarder I just don't bother and instead find another route. Surely I'm not the only boarder here who 'gets a little sore' after using a drag lift for too long. Please don't tell me that my (male) bits are different from everyone elses!!! Embarassed Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Or maybe my bits are that extra bit different!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the "Mother of all t-bars" on the glacier at Saas Fee, Mrs H taught me new combinations of swear words that I hadn't heard before Shocked
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
same as Mouth, If on skis i normally admire the view and sing something inspirational very loudly, maybe something like Jerusalem! Shocked & generaly lark around! If im on a board...well i just avoid them...full stop! i had an interesting time in Chatel trying to get up a VERY VERY steep drag lift...think i attempted about 10 times, due to the fact we were the last group of the day going up, & i evidently didnt go 'up'! they got me a man with a Skidoo! was great fun if a little scary! Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
saxabar, Try 'Betty Swallocks' open pants vent and an old steep button in Livigno that's lost its plastic insulation . . . I left a fair chunk of intimate skin on that bar Evil or Very Mad

Boarders should always adjust their "dress" to 'switch'
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh, and I also sometimes eat snack bars and quite often sweets, as well as doing the other stuff wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, Boarders are simply not designed to use drag lifts wink Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowbunny, But we do develop incredible inner thigh strength while doing so . . .
snow conditions
I pray that the end of the lift will arrive before the end of the knees. Those with arthritic fetlocks will know the feeling.
snow conditions
Masque,
Quote:

snowbunny, But we do develop incredible inner thigh strength while doing so . . .

Well, I will take your word on that achievement Very Happy
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

I pray that the end of the lift will arrive before the end of the knees

I tend to rest on(in) my boots, maybe I'm doing it wrong Confused
Quote:

arthritic fetlocks

I had not realised that you were a horse Shocked
snow conditions
snowbunny, If you have knackered knees the slight bend in the knee, even when resting on a drag, can become gradually more painfull. The only way to rest the knee is to straighten the leg. Me and my mate "big Dave" will often clip out of our skis and have a little walk about after a long drag. The steeper the drag, the less strain on the knees.
snow conditions
I keep a close eye on the upcoming terrain. Ever had that, "whoops there goes an edge" feeling ? Normally swiftly followed by the cessation of uphill momentum........ Shocked
latest report
Usually I just try to pay enough attention not to fall off rolling eyes However I have been known to risk dropping gloves, poles, hat, goggles etc by taking pics or walkie-talkie-ing (sic).

When feeling more focused I might 'walk' up to warm-up old cold muscles, or balance on one ski or edge and rail my skis on the way up. But if it's a howling gale I just tuck my chin in, keep arms close and keep warm.

I've seen an instuctor slide-slip up and even swap between riding up normally and switch.
snow report
When in a group Pass The Poles is mildly entertaining, veer off sideways and plant a pole for the next person and so on until the last person has collected them all
ski holidays
Timberwolf wrote:
I keep a close eye on the upcoming terrain. Ever had that, "whoops there goes an edge" feeling ? Normally swiftly followed by the cessation of uphill momentum........ Shocked

Only once, the last lift on the last day of my first school trip. I was wandering along in the 2 well defined ruts taking little notice of the ground infront, unfortunately someone in front had fallen off on a fairly flat bit and had gouged out 2 ruts running away fom the track. I hadn't spotted this and found myself with 1 ski in each rut and heading away from each other Shocked . That didn't take me out but the person who'd come off tried getting back on with me and as I was still off balance ended up taking me out as well.
ski holidays
FenlandSkier, sounds like you could have split your difference Shocked It amazes me though, that when people fall off drags, they don't have presence of mind to get out of the way as quickly as possible, and gather their pride and belongings whilst in a safe position. Unless an injury has occurred, it has to be a case of get out of the way !
snow report
mjg, One of our group (male) had a pee on one once. Couldn't believe the audacity or it, nor the bravery or dexterity. How he managed to get it out, avoid contact with a cold bar, avoid peeing on himself, I know not.

Before the deluge of complaining femails, it was not me, he is not a Snowhead.

He's also peed off a chairlift. Not noticed any strong odours in cable cars to suggest he's going for the set. Shocked
snow report
Cymru am Byth, are you sure this individual wasn't Carol Thatcher ? ( meaningless gag if you haven't been watching "I'm a celebrity...... get me out of here" )
snow conditions
Timberwolf, or Paula Radcliffe
snow conditions
I usually get the thing the wrong way around, then get launched whilst fumbling trying to get it the right way round, then get whiplash, and if it's been snowing a lot then occasionally end up in the powder to one side.
If I succeessfully reach the top, then I worry about the really steep bit they insist on installing, and work out how to best avoid the goolies getting crushed.
As you can probably tell, I hate draglifts, and hate T-bars even more.
latest report
I tend to bend my knees alot on drag lifts. sitting back onto my haunches. I find I really need to stretch off lots on drag lifts. I do tend to sing a lot too. I am rubbish at singing but hey I am on holiday so who cares!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fall over repeatedly (well i do on the fairwater dryslope at any rate.)
In the past 3 sessions ive fell at the top twice (trying to get it to tow me up higher towards the start gate at 45degrees to the lift).
along with 3 times half way up the hill (once trying to tap our race captins behind with a poll after she stood in the way, the other 2 times caused by watching the racing instead of where im going, then losing a ski over the edge.)
Best draglift in wales has to be the one at the ponty slope, that can lift all 15st of me clean off the ground!!! On that i just cling on for my life.

As for on snow, much more boreing, just tend to play with the ipod to save time at the top.
snow conditions
I lick the pole to see if my tongue freezes.
ski holidays
All you boarders who refuse to go on drags are missing a trick. Like Masque says, there's not a problem with drags other than the hard pull on your inner thigh - anyone who can get down red runs without falling should be able to ride a drag. And on T-bars, if like me (regular) you are lucky enough to have a GF who is goofy, it can be a very romantic experience... Very Happy
snow conditions
Plake, wait till you've got 50 year old hips that go 'clunk' rolling eyes

And do you really want to compare yourself to a t-bar were your gf's concerned? Confused
snow report
As a boarder I also don't have problems with draglifts at all. Maybe it's the years of skiing before I saw the light... Twisted Evil

I often get the camcorder out on the drag and film my kids passing by on the slope next to it - also get a few shots of them coming up the drag lift behind me or even in front. Have the occasional fun moment when an unexpected bump causes a moment of excitement on the balancing front, but generally don't have an issue with drags at all.

In fact I was actually having a great time with the (Foret I & II?) twin drags that start at Serre Che at about 2100m just after the bubble up from the main village (1400) last year because they're such evil lifts. Lightning fast start followed by stupidly steep gradient and a nice 60 degree turn halfway up on an adverse camber, followed by crossing a busy run from the chairlift to one side and ending with a ridiculously steep pitch right up at the top. You could actually get a bit of air if you timed it right and leaned back on the button... Very Happy The entire group of about 20 (11 boarder and 9 skiiers) started off from there one afternoon... only 5 made it up of which I was the only boarder! (and my 8 year old daughter on skis was one of the others, to my immense pride!) Apparently 4 of the less experienced skiiers/boarder couldn't even get on the lift, or they could, but couldn't stay on with the first jolt it gave them! I kept telling them to carry a small bit of momentum with them whilst getting on so it wouldn't be such a jerk at the start, but they wouldn't listen! The rest of the group made it part way - most of them coming a cropper at the sharp left turn! I Asked my daugher how she'd coped with it and she admitted she'd been picked up by the lift on that corner and swung around so that her skis didn't touch the snow for such a long time that she was over the rough bit by the time she touched down again!
snow conditions
drift over to the side and experimentally drag a pole tip in the untracked to test the snow conditions

swap from one edge to another as an alignment issue (which I must get fixed) stops me from getting my right ski flat
snow report
Paul Mason, Laughing Laughing Laughing Have you been surgically removed from a drag lift pole too? Laughing
snow report
Err yes Blush
snow report
On one particular, nearly flat draglift in Thollon, I keep looking over my shoulder awaiting to see my friend on the next button, then the next, and next . . . and I eventually get to the end and all the empty buttons come up, and still no sign of her. Some 10 mins later, my friend catches the button. Every year, without fail, she has problems with this particular lift, and several other drags in other resorts too. All highly entertaining for us at her expense. Laughing
snow conditions
I avoid drags like the plague. Always look for a chairlift instead to give the old legs and plates of meat a rest Wink
ski holidays
Try to avoid all those who fall off and then decide to have a gentle sunbathe in the middle of the lift path.
Did have one especially interesting lift experience where we were dragged up the mountain by a T-Bar attached to the back of a piste basher! Seriously scary, because if you fall off, there ain't a chance the driver'll notice u, and all the lifts were closed at that point so we would have been stranded in the mountains somewhere. Needless to say, we gave the man a fairly hefty tip once we stopped!
snow report
I'm with jedster: there's always that sign that means "No Slalom". So I just have to slalom. I try to get out as wide as I can, but it always seems some other guy has managed to go wider.
One day I hope to go up a drag lift backwards.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy