Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Altitude sickness......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm currently in val d'isere and having a blast!
Today I got a wave of nausea, slurred speech and a bitch of a headache come over all of a sudden.
I've never had a feeling like it, I thought it was a migraine but the general consensus amongst some of the other hotel guests is a touch of altitude sickness coupled with dehydration. I've not drunk a lot since being here because of feeling a bit weak and generally ropey.
Any ideas?

Cheers,

Ian.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get to somewhere lower! That is the only real cure if it altitude sickness, dehydration won't have helped so lay off the coffee and beer and drink loads of water.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ianmg, I'm not a medic but my understanding of AMS is that it comes on quite quickly rather than occurring after a few days of reaching altitude. Have you been in Val d'Isere since the weekend? The slurring of your speech is something that might be caused by AMS or by something else. I'd be tempted to pay a visit to the Dr in the Medical Centre to reassure.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+ one for the doc's. It probably is a mix of mild effects of altitude coupled with dehydration and the sudden constant exercise that your body may not be used to. I often don't sleep too well in the higher Alpine towns for the first few days and that makes me feel a little ropey too. But slurred speech is a symptom of many medical problems so best to get it checked out and then you can put it out of your mind and enjoy the rest of the holiday.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It came on over about a 20 minute period, as soon as I realised something wasn't right I got on the gondola and came straight back to the hotel. I feel 100 times better now since drinking plenary of water and taking some electrolytes.
I did feel mildly better after descending. I'm going to have a quite night and see how I am tomorrow, if I'm no better I'll pop in and see the medic.
There's a guy in the hotel who's a doctor who thinks it's altitude sickness, he's given me similar advice to you guys so sounds like ams is the most likely culprit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ianmg, Either that or a stroke Laughing

I'd say it's more the exertion and dehydration, the altitude would have just exacerbated the symptoms. Combination of three things all minor in themselves but put 'em together... Shocked

Next time prepare by getting drunk every night for a week, your body will start to retain the H2O in the alcohol instead instead of you peeing it all out Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have to agree with rob@rar, go and see a doc for a formal opinion and examination; as he points out slurred speech may or may not be AMS.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All sorted now, spoken to a doc, he thinks I was dehydrated but added to the altitude gave me the symptoms I described.
Thanks for the advice all.

Ian
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ianmg, Good to hear you are ok Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad it isn't anything to worry about
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ditto
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So, Ianmg, were were you ok skiing today?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brilliant thanks guys. Had an amazing day today. No problems whatsoever and the slopes are amazing.
We had a good dump of snow from Christmas night to yesterday pm. Lots of nice fresh powder to play in!

Ian.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edit: Just seen you've made a recovery... Glad all is well Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy