Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

See moment colorado skier who was buried in avavalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2529104/See-moment-Colorado-skier-buried-alive-avalanche-four-hours-rescued-snow.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Or the Unofficialnetworks take on the same story, Guy Sticks Big Line to Save Skier Buried in an Avalanche:
http://unofficialnetworks.com/guy-sticks-big-line-save-skier-buried-avalanche-127386/
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just read his account on TGR of his experience. quite sobering especiallyhis trip to the rescue team. Very lucky to be alive.

Typical Daily Fail reporting - he was only buried for about a couple of minutes at the most.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just read the TGR report as well, so the ski patrol left them to it and search and rescue waited on the highway for them to extract themselves as it was too dangerous (and half a hint in there it might cost too much). Good job they knew what they were doing to get themselves out of there despite the injuries!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davkt, to be fair, out of ski patrols remit and SAR is free in CO. so no cost incurred. Seems it was felt to dangerous to try and get to them if they could get down.

Agreed about them knowing what the were doing, not easy under those conditions.

If this doesnt make sense sorry - wine taking its toll now Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup sounds like it may have been cost relating to a chopper. Though a bit surprising they were willing to let them try without really knowing the full extent of the injury and risking having to get them out of a worse situation if the self rescue failed.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Reading TGR report it does make me wonder how useful an avalung really is. According to the guy it was first of all ripped from his mouth and then when he got it back in, was blocked with snow, i.e useless! They were lucky, that's for sure.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang, I think that they are brilliant for tree wells. Proper avi's I'd have serious doubts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avalungs - bankers (no rhyming slang intended) always have those. Guides don't, perhaps there's a hint in that?

If you're riding trees then you'd have to have one of those things in your mouth the whole time, else it''d be useless. If you can get your hand to position one of those, you can make yourself an airspace, and if you can avoid panic then your buddy will come and get you.

But there are people on here who ride with full body armor, lots of stuff like that. Some people feel safer with gadgets; I think their argument would be "it can hadly make me less safe". I wonder if they wear the stuff in bed too, for the same reason.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Steilhang, I think that they are brilliant for tree wells. Proper avi's I'd have serious doubts.
Yup.
This particular incident is always billed by Avalung as a success, but I understand that even in this case the tube was torn from his mouth and he wasn't actually breathing through it. He was lucky!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philwig wrote:
Avalungs - bankers (no rhyming slang intended) always have those. Guides don't, perhaps there's a hint in that?

If you're riding trees then you'd have to have one of those things in your mouth the whole time, else it''d be useless. If you can get your hand to position one of those, you can make yourself an airspace, and if you can avoid panic then your buddy will come and get you.

But there are people on here who ride with full body armor, lots of stuff like that. Some people feel safer with gadgets; I think their argument would be "it can hadly make me less safe". I wonder if they wear the stuff in bed too, for the same reason.

Lets ignore all the pro skiers who wear them then. There's a reason guides don't usually wear avalungs and ABS'. It gives them a false sense of security they can't afford. I've spoken to many guides who didn't want to touch them because they were scared it would make them more reckless.

I agree with the sentiment that avalungs won't be of much use in a full avy but they are definitely useful for tree well situations. I don't really see the argument about how you'd have to have one of those things in your mouth the whole time, it's not exactly difficult skiing with it in your mouth.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
philwig, In tree wells you can usually move about, it's the soft powder flowing in after you that fills up the void and suffocates you. Fairly easy to place the tube in your mouth then once you've gone in head first.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
philwig, In tree wells you can usually move about, it's the soft powder flowing in after you that fills up the void and suffocates you. Fairly easy to place the tube in your mouth then once you've gone in head first.

Is that really the case? I'm sure I've heard of a few cases where the tree well collapses quickly, burying the unfortunate occupant. Not necessarily safe to assume you'll be able to move the mouthpiece by hand, but at least one guy was able to reach it with his mouth and use it normally even after being buried and unable to move his arms.

Better get into the habit of skiing without pole straps, too!

philwig wrote:
Avalungs - bankers (no rhyming slang intended) always have those. Guides don't, perhaps there's a hint in that?.

Really? I'd have pegged the bankers for airbags, not avalungs. Avalungs are for people who can't afford airbags, and they look a bit dorky. Who'd want that?

Timmaah wrote:
There's a reason guides don't usually wear avalungs and ABS'. It gives them a false sense of security they can't afford. I've spoken to many guides who didn't want to touch them because they were scared it would make them more reckless.

And yet there are plenty of guides who do use airbags, etc (though I've yet to meet one wearing a helmet, mind you). Funny things, generalisations.

Avalungs can indeed be useful in actual avalanches... small summary here, http://blog.alpineinstitute.com/2013/01/avalung-in-news.html and others to be found online. This guy, http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/220005-My-Avalanche-Experience-Helmet-Cam-Footage-and-Commentary-on-Emergency-Gear used an avalung with an airbag, and found the combination was a useful one. Bruce Tremper gives them a brief mention in his book and doesn't dismiss them out of hand.

They're clearly not infallible, but I like being able to stack the deck in my favour. They're cheap (compared to airbags, at least!), they can work with your existing rucksacks, they're light and you won't have any issues transporting them by air anywhere in the world.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy