Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Live TR from ADH

Poster: A snowHead
Method: DIY driving and self catering apartment
Participants: Layne, wife and two kids, 8 and 6
Destination: Oz-en-Oisans, Alpe D'Huez, Massif des Grande Rousses

Got wind of some traffic on the clockwise route of the M25 so went anti and everything was fine. Bit of a queue at the tunnel booths but no bumping up anyhow so no loss. Journey through France on the overnight drive was no problems either. We used a couple of our previously discovered just off motorway petrol stations paying around 1.30 instead of around 1.47 on the motorway. Worth it for a 5 minute detour for skinflints such as us wink

Supermarket stop in Grenoble early morning. Check. Traffic bottleneck at Vizille. Check. Got into resort lunchtime. Staying in an apartment we've stayed in twice before. Keys sent by the owner and nobody in before us. So unpacking and settling in was no probs.

Sunday the weather was cloudy at times but temp and wind no issue. Daughter who had no fear at 3 and 4 seems to have developed a little bit of it at 6, just like her older brother - so it was a little slow going on this first morning. We headed over to Montfrais sector but Vallonet was shut so we headed back up and then up to the Dome de Petite Rousses. Decision was made to split so our 8yo could ski faster. I partnered up with him while the wife coaxed the little lady around. Me and the boy skied down into ADH and up to the top and over the back of Signal. Actually found a nice bit of powder of the side of the piste. Became patchy lower down though. We then headed home.

More tomorrow..
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
have fun Layne
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love reading these kind of reports wink Hope you had a nice skiing day today!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Views of Oz-en-Oisan..

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As per my report on the weather thread yesterday (Monday) was a great bluebird day. No wind to speak of and Spring like. Pistes are wearing badly in places with many officially closed. That horrible crunching sound of ski bases on rocks has been very common on several sections even on the open pistes. We made the decision to go over to Auris on the down and up "gulp" chair lift. So we headed up the Dome des Petite Rousses and skied all the way down to the bottom of ADH from there. Only the Louvets chair was open but it provided access to some nice fluffy powder snow in between the pistes. We skied this particular pitch several times..

We then cruised back over and skied above ADH a little before heading home. Because so much is closed and trying to find off piste without rocks is difficult the open areas are quite crowded and there are some moderate lift queues in places. But we are hanging in there Smile Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A few more pics from yesterday. First off, 8yo son on the Les Rousses piste

My tracks over in Auris

Pic Blanc taken from Auris

ADH from the Dome des Petite Rousses...

Getting air sledging..

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tuesday was a struggle on account of the high winds. We got the L'Alpette cable car up out of Oz and the Rousses cable car was shut. We headed back down to Oz and got Poutran up heading over to ADH. Even at that altitude it was blowing a hooley. We got Troncon 2 up and skiing down there was piste security at the turn for Rousses stopping people from ADH going down towards Oz/Vaujany. As our faces were getting pebble dashed and you couldn't stay upright we headed down Rousses to the relative calm down at L'Alpette. We continued on down to Montfrais, whereupon we split. Me and my 6yo daughter and my wife with the 8yo. Long story short my wife got 'advised' at the top of the Glos Giraud chairlift to return to Oz. I didn't and carried on merrily skiing down to Montfrais a second time. On the return Giraud was shut. After initial panic was advised the cable back up from Vaujany was still running. It wasn't particularly late - 2.30pm but getting down to the Vaujany cable car meant a 10 minute ski followed by the slow Montfrais bubble down and then another ride up. I was helpfully told by the lady at the Vaujany cable car that the piste down to Oz was closed. But I know the piste well and that provided the visibility had not detoriated it would not be a problem. There was only about a dozen in the cable car and at Alpette all of them apart from me and my 6yo daughter headed back towards Montfrais/Vaujany. We slightly scarily headed for Oz completely alone. Visibility was fine though and we were soon on the happily skiing in the shelter of the cliffs down Alpette and heading for home. During this time the walkie talkies came in handy telling the missus what was going on. It was a strange thing that lower down you wouldn't have thought there was much going on. And sking down to Montfrais from Alpette was really pleasant. But up top it was severely windy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Woke up to today, Wednesday Christmas Day, to lashing rain in Oz Sad It was tempting just to get straight back in bed and catch more Z's but as ever the optimist inside me said they may be lovely fluffy powder at the top of the mountain. Well, from perhaps 1700/1800m there was snow. Unfortunately there was still high wind. So sod all open and repeated runs back to town were the only option. Even then the snow wasn't great. Temps weren't dropping and the snow was first sticky and then slushy. We did a few rounds but then just called it a day. The snow in the town is now all but washed away. Prediction for snow overnight and falling temperatures. Boy do we need that. When you go skiing you take the rough with the smooth. Especially at the back bottom ends of the season. But it hasn't been a gourmet week so far. Still 3 days still to perhaps serve up a spectacular dessert Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Todays white out at the top of Alpette

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yay! Woke this morning to this...

Headed up to Arpette. Wind had dropped so Rousses cable was open. Double yay! The intrepid kids making their way to the top of the run from the cable car...

Top section of the Bartavelle piste was open so skied that and then Rousses. It was still pretty windy, with snow pelting your face at times but nobody was complaining... there was a good dump of fresh snow on them there pistes. We did another loop and then having enjoyed the powder off the side of the Carrelette piste we did a couple of rounds of the Arpette drag before skiing down the Arpette run back to Oz for a quick toilet and sandwich stop.

View of Oz at lunch..

We then headed up Poutran and over into ADH. Again some nice gentle powder skiing of the side of the piste down to the DMC. We went to the top down and down twice. Before returning back down Rousses and then after one more spin on the Arpette drag back home. Picture on the last run of the day...

A fantastic long days skiing and we are now back on track as it were. Sunny day predicted tomorrow. Everyone will be racing to the first lift!!

In the evening I caught up with fellow Snowhead Fruity in the Potee. Only a swift one for me unfortunately but great to have a chat on put a face to the name. It was torchlight descent and floodlit skiing night (postponed from Tuesday) Kids sledged a bit, we watched them coming down and partook of a Vin Chaud on the Oz house before retiring for soup, salad, cheese and wine back at the aprtment. Need some Z's now Very Happy Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great TR for a sleepless night Very Happy Thanks!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
We used a couple of our previously discovered just off motorway petrol stations paying around 1.30 instead of around 1.47 on the motorway. Worth it for a 5 minute detour for skinflints such as us wink

Could you give directions to these.... For the other skinflints in the audience Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Friday was indeed a big bluebird day. We were up nice early! Spent quite a bit of the day skiing powder off the back of Signal. It was already fairly tracked out by the time we got there but it was very enjoyable nonetheless. After more skiing up above ADH we skied back to Oz down Olmet, which surprisingly was still in poor shape. Another long day though.

Met another Snowheads Nick D in the Potee for a quick beer later. In between sorting my son trying out a snowboard for a couple of hours. Worryingly, he really enjoyed it!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We skied Saturday. Difficult conditions. Windy higher up. Cloudy, even a bit of snow coming down. Too warm. Kids were also a bit tired. Higher up was a struggle because if the wind. Went over to Auris and that was in a worse state than earlier in the week. Probably nicest part of the day was blasting home from the top of Troncon down Rousses and Arpette. It was raining when we left Oz in the early evening. A great week in overall not great conditions but with a bit of everything thrown in!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne, you seem to have made the best of it all - some lovely pics too. Well done. snowHead
latest report
Can I just add how lovely it was to meet up with Layne in Oz last week. Sadly, typing this from the office. Boo. We had a cracking journey back, left at 08.30 Saturday, arrived back in Surrey at home at 20.30 UK time so 13 hrs including torrential rain for 80% of the journey home and an earlier Tunnel than booked, which was a bonus.
latest report
Cracking TR........really got me in the mood for mid January Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy