Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good steered turns vs. good carved turns - which is harder?

Poster: A snowHead
There you go - a simple question:

Good steered turns vs. good carved turns - which is harder?

I've been introduced to both, lately I've been working hard on the former and am now probably doing these better than the latter. However, I've realised that a good steered turn takes some achieving. This surprised me - carved turns are so often what you hear folks talking about that, as a learner, these are what I had always aspired to. However, these steered turns are surprisingly complex things to achieve - they also feel good when you hit one right Very Happy They seem to me as much of a challenge as a carved turn. So I thought as a bit of fun it might make a thread.

Which do you think is harder to do and if you fancy extending the notion which do you consider is the most useful?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on the context. Carving on a red piste is not easy, but on a gentle track is pretty straightforward. I find a skilfully steered (with a smooth rate of rotation) turn on very gentle terrain to be quite tricky if you are aiming for a very high level of precision, but on steeper terrain it's pretty straightforward. As with most questions about skiing the answer is often "it depends".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but what exactly is meant by a 'steered turn'?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Handy Turnip, I think a written description might need an instructor - I know practically what I am calling a steered turn, but I think it needs explaining properly. In fact I have checked the Glossary of skiing terms at the top of BZK and it isn't a definition we currently have.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Handy Turnip, when the turn has a dominant element of rotation (twisting the ski rather than only edging it). Most turns have at least some rotational steering, other than cleanly carved turns.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, cheers for the description. I was at Hemel today and was thinking my turns are a bit skiddy, and I was watching a girl skiing who (while not carving) seemed much smoother. I'm guessing she was doing a decent steered turn.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I guess there are situations where a steered turn might be trickier, but in general a carved turn is harder. If I could carve down everything I would, but I can't so have to resort to skidding.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jimmer, Although I am only learning them, I think, to finally achieve them, a steered turn requires more effort and is probably more tiring than a carved turn from those I have managed so far.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I guess that brings up the difference between harder technically, and harder physically, but generally a carved turn is more difficult physically (for clarity's sake lets say a carved turned on a steep run rather than a railroad track on a green) as well, as the forces involved are much greater.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimmer, but would those same forces not also affect the ease or difficulty with which a steered turn could also be done on the same steep slope. I can now make my foot turn the ski around when doing the steered turn Very Happy , and even on an easy pitch it requires more effort than trying to tip the skis onto their edges and carving (which I can sometimes get almost right). Wouldn't the ease of both types diminish as the slope got steeper? Incidentally I have decided that carved turns are far more condition dependant - they seem the preserve of a fairly level snow surface, the moment it gets churned up any other method of turning seems easier.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, carved turn = much faster skiing. Faster skiing equals higher forces.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Centripetal force increases relative to the edge angle and speed of travel, so carved turns have more force than skidded. Sorry for briefness, need to go ski!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, jimmer, ok, got that, but do those forces exert such great force that it would make a carved turn significantly harder than a steered one? jimmer, enjoy your ski!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, yes. With high speeds and high forces things get considerably more complex. Very few skiers carve clean turns on anything steeper than a modest blue, and the majority of skiers don't carve their turns at any time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rrob@rar, then these steered turns sound a very important thing to get properly nailed. If this the case and, as you say, very few skiers use them, then why is so much fuss made about carved turns, when a steered turn sounds a more useful skill to have?
snow report
Megamum wrote:
then why is so much fuss made about carved turns,
Who knows? I have no idea.
Megamum wrote:
when a steered turn sounds a more useful skill to have?
I don't think one or other is more useful. I don't think one type of turn is better than the other. They are just different ways to slide down a slope. A good skier will be able to vary their skiing from a completely carved turn to a completely steered turn, and all points in between, matching their technique to the terrain they are on and how they want to ski it.
snow conditions
I don't think anyone has said that skidded turn was unnessecary, just that skidded turns are easier, and a lower level skill than carving.

Going back to the amount of force used, some racers get up to 4gs in their turns, which obviously requires much more muscular strength than skidding.
ski holidays
Steered turns are way harder on knees Sad That's why I carve my turns whenever that is possible.
snow report
Quote:

and even on an easy pitch it requires more effort than trying to tip the skis onto their edges and carving

but surely a "steered turn" doesn't mean forcing a flat ski round? Every turn where the ski is tipped on edge isn't a carved turn, is it? My skis are tipped on edge, to some extent, through all turns when just normally skiing around but (sadly) very few of those turns are fully carved. I skied a bit on Saturday on some nice freshly groomed and quiet slopes where even on an easy blue I wasn't managing to leave two nice tracks through the whole turn. Sad
ski holidays
pam w, even in a very steered turn, braquage drill for example, the skis are on their edges. A ski which is completely flat wants to go in a straight line and doesn't give you any control of speed or direction.
ski holidays
One of these days I am going to need to book a lesson to find out what all the different actions in skiing are called, I have never heard of 'braquage drill'. Its all very interesting.
snow report
CaravanSkier, It's worth a look at the glossary at the top of BZK - it's a resource that SH compiled several years ago and I've not come across similar on other sites - it is full of useful info and definitions.
latest report
CaravanSkier,
It doesn't cost much at all to buy a book on skiing. For as little as 10 to 15£ and a little time reading/ analysing pictures, you would know a lot AND probably get more out of any instruction taken because ( i hope) you would understand the purpose / reason for the exercise/ drill your instructor/coach is asking of you.
ski holidays
CaravanSkier wrote:
One of these days I am going to need to book a lesson to find out what all the different actions in skiing are called, I have never heard of 'braquage drill'. Its all very interesting.
AKA pivot slips - practice first on a nice groomed piste

http://youtube.com/v/iUuCWQ_2WOo
snow report
Quote:

If this the case and, as you say, very few skiers use them, then why is so much fuss made about carved turns,

Very few skiers use them as they are a hard skill to master. The fuss is for many reasons, probably because they are hard so are seen as an "expert skill" and thus are something to aspire to, it's what racers are attempting to do as it's the fastest way down a course (the course itself often doesn't allow a fully clean carved turn hence "attempting") but for me, they just feel brilliant. A lot of turn shapes feel as though you are "forcing" the ski, carving feels as though you are making the ski do exactly as it was designed to do.

I could happily spend all day on a pair of 165 SL skis carving down Mephisto ( a mellow red below the eggs lift in Flaine) it feels so good, driving them round, the feel of potential energy in the ski when bent, the "pop" as you release the pressure to change edges and draw your knees up. It also looks pretty flair!

(Caveat - Since quitting being a ski bum and becoming a desk jockey, my thighs have withered and I can only manage a decent half day's carving down blue runs and the mellow bits of reds until my puny office monkey legs give out. I'm no longer the skier I am in my head but I can still talk the talk..........)
snow report
Just spent a bit of time looking through the glossary, interesting. Thank you to its author.
snow conditions
CaravanSkier, it was a joint effort from quite a large number of SH's, I think it was skimottaret who put the effort into the final thread write up, but I think it is a unique resource and quite often overlooked at the top of the BZK forum which is why I mentioned it.
latest report
This conversation needs to include some stivoting and scraving

Check this video out, first half is carving, second half stivots (skidding, steering and then somehow engaging the edges to carve - a great blend of skills.)

http://youtube.com/v/uEUWDsQ1LLI

I think scarving refers to letting the ski slide out in powder to wipe off some speed, but struggle to find a definitive definition.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos, what an unusual thing - you can see that the skier is quite deliberately skidding the skis to begin with - I think it would be easily missed without that slow mo footage. I think I'll stick to what I know I can do though wink .
latest report
Megamum wrote:
waynos, what an unusual thing
Fairly standard technique in modern ski racing, but no need for it outside of skiing gates other than for the sheer hell of it! Was leading some synchro skiing in Meribel a couple of weeks ago and threw in a few for fun. It's just mixing up the steering mechanisms in a single turn, with a pronounced change in the blend at some point around the curve.
snow report
I'd say carving is just damn fast, and that's why it's considered impressive. I don't think the majority of skiers can do it though - I wouldn't even go so far as to say I can 100% do it without having a professional tell me first. As far as I can tell though (and certainly what I consider to be carving), is a fast turn on the edges of both skis where it feels like you are literally on rails with no skidding from the skis at all, and hence no braking - had great fun in Val Thorens last week as the pistes (especially the reds) were very hard snow and you could literally hear/feel when you were carving properly as the edges stopped scraping across the snow when you hit the carve right.

Someone please berate me most heinously if I'm wrong though. snowHead
latest report
waynos, you're thinking of slarving in soft snow. It's very similar to the stivot really. It's not just for slowing down as you can maintain a pretty good pace if you don't show the whole base to the oncoming snow. It's what people mean when they talk about the surfy feeling of fatter, rockered skis. Great when it's really steep and good snow in comparison to cambered skis.
snow report
Love the vid with the 'stivot' turns, looks like the skiing equivalent of Marc Marquez… wink
latest report
rasmanisar wrote:
I'd say carving is just damn fast, and that's why it's considered impressive. I don't think the majority of skiers can do it though - I wouldn't even go so far as to say I can 100% do it without having a professional tell me first. As far as I can tell though (and certainly what I consider to be carving), is a fast turn on the edges of both skis where it feels like you are literally on rails with no skidding from the skis at all, and hence no braking - had great fun in Val Thorens last week as the pistes (especially the reds) were very hard snow and you could literally hear/feel when you were carving properly as the edges stopped scraping across the snow when you hit the carve right.

Someone please berate me most heinously if I'm wrong though. snowHead

You can control your speed with carving through turn shape, but yes, it is typically faster than a skidded turn.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
Love the vid with the 'stivot' turns, looks like the skiing equivalent of Marc Marquez… wink

True.
snow report
I just can't get my head round this thread.... Steered turns is new terminology to me, never heard of them before. To me, Steered turns translate as skidding. The video demonstrating this looks, to me, as a guy just slide slipping in between flips. The videos of the racers look, again to me, as guys realising that to continue carving at that speed will result in them crashing out. They appear to be holding on by the seat of their pants rather than deliberately laying down a steered turn. In my mind when their edges are bouncing off the surface and they are trying to point into the fall line anyway they can. Is this the point? Is a steered turn just an accident prevention turn?
latest report
dode, Continuing to carve would mean that they would miss the gate. There is a limit to how small you can make a carved turn so you have to do something to get the skis ready to engage edges again in the correct line.
latest report
That's my point.
snow report
dode wrote:
That's my point.

Not really. Read all the posts
snow conditions
If continuing to carve would mean missing the gate, then surely a steered turn is accident (missing the gate) prevention? Am I wrong?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy