Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone been to Bansko Bulgaria?

Poster: A snowHead
So I fed up of paying £750 for one weeks snowboarding and I decided to take a chance and book a trip to Bansko Bulgaria...

£77 3* Hotel
£65 Flight
£130 Lift Pass
£20 Transfer

I've just looked at that and value for money that transfers expensive lol

Anyway I thought for my £750 I could go 2 may be 3 times to Bulgaria rather than once to France...I know the apre ski may not be the same but on the other hand I've heard 50p a pint isn't bad....

Just wanted some thoughts or input from anyone who's been there
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Liquidforce999, yep I have been there. It is a long transfer to Bansko from Sofia (I tend to target short transfer due to suffering from car sickness). I went at new year and I will never go there again then as the bottle neck of the lift system at the bottom is very bad when busy.

When we went I thought the food and drink prices weren't as cheap as I was expecting on slope but then I heard what my colleagues were paying in French resorts and It was significantly less than they were paying.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Watch this then decide!
Parental guidance required!

http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwOIYm5B_Pw8
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Powder seeker

Absolutely fantastic!

For those watching, stick with the clip until the end! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Of course that video is actually in Borovets, not Bansko (but still Bulgaria obviously)

And I've posted that video a few times on here.... Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,
I went several years ago and if I'm really honest it's the only place that I have skied and vowed never to go again! Yes it's cheap to get there but......... massive queues/free for all to get up the mountain everyday as the main ski area was served by one gondala which wasn't nearly enough for the development in the town. The place looked like a building site/war zone, lots of half built or falling down buildings. The hotel we stayed in was nice and really good value but we didn't go out at night as I didn't feel at all comfortable wandering around the resort in the evening. Several guests and people we met on the mountain had skis stolen, which were hired, they then had to pay a fee to get new ones, seemed like it was happening too frequently for it to be just a coincidence. Yes it's cheap, it has a mountain and there may be some snow but it definitely wasn't anything like skiing in France, Italy, Switzerland or Austria. That said, its several years since I skied there and maybe things have improved!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Omg that was the funniest thing ever!!! I couldn't breath and I'm crying with laughter Smile

Sounds like it's going to be pretty bad especially if that's the apre ski lol but hey thanks for the heads up re nicking of boards I will keep mine surgically attached although I'm pretty careful with that after getting my board nicked in winter park

Any further comments are welcomed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't get injured. Medical care not great.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes, but apart from the crime, the apres ski, the lift queues, the rubbish town, the long transfer and the falling down buildings what have the Bulgarians ever done for us? Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, but apart from the crime, the apres ski, the lift queues, the rubbish town, the long transfer, the hygienic mountain restaurants and the falling down buildings what have the Bulgarians ever done for us? Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
50p a pint, maybe a few years ago, have been to Borovets about 6 years ago or so and it wasn't that cheap - yes, cheaper than your typical French resort but I bet we were still paying a couple of quid a pint if not slightly more.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Liquidforce999, Friends of mine who take a peculiar pleasure in stoically tolerating extreme conditions in a Python-esque manner enjoyed Bansko...

The 'shameless' crew in that utube vid are too soft, too sensitive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Powderseeker, that is hilarious!

Think I'll avoid Bulgaria!!

Liquidforce999, on a more serious note - I've heard Slovenia is cheap by comparison to the major alpine countries?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As far as I know they haven't opened yet for the season due to lack of snow!?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ive just come back (dec 12th -19th) only a few runs open with snow cannon snow providing the majority of the base. I've been on two trips now and a friend has apartments there. We've never experienced any crime and the food / drink is cheap.

I'd recommend The log house and Victoria (in the uniquitio hotel opposite kempinski) and the lion pub / euphoria for bar type food with plenty of perinsko. 180 on the mountain at the bottom of blue 10+5 and red 4 great food.
snow conditions
Quote:

only a few runs open

sounds miserable!
snow report
I was there last year 11th to 19th jan with my wife and 3 teenagers. I had read a lot negative things about Bansko before we went and I was a little concerned. Obviously you get what you pay for, it's a small resort, but enough for the average skier.
The only negatives I could report would be the queue in the morning and the total lack of manners from the people working on the mountain. Everything else was fine. Good value, my wife picked up a great pair of boots at a Fantastic price, we really enjoyed the restaurants, and the skiing suited all levels with the really easy run back to the village.
A holiday is what you make it !
ski holidays
My mate has been and reported that it is a brilliant place for a first week on skis.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Yes, but apart from the crime, the apres ski, the lift queues, the rubbish town, the long transfer, the hygienic mountain restaurants and the falling down buildings what have the Bulgarians ever done for us? Very Happy

Prostitutes and sex shows.
snow report
Pam w it was ok for me still working on technique but looking for much more expansive skiing on my next trip. The 4 mile (approx) ski home is a nice way to finish the day in bansko. The other side is you can sit and drink beer and have as much food as you can eat over 6 hours and still it will cost you no more than £30. Swings and roundabouts. Intermediate ski and pole higher (atomic race skis) for £5 per day too....
snow report
Id rather go to tamworth.
snow report
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
My mate has been and reported that it is a brilliant place for a first week on skis.

+1

Went to Borovets for my first ever week skiing. we got a deal at the 4* hotel Lion for £300 1/2 board, flights, transfers, accomodation with free lift passes. No complaints! It dumped it down with snow all week. Best snow conditions we could have asked for really. 30k (isk) ski area - perfect for repetition and perfecting learnt techniques but having skiied France, austria, italy and canada there is no way I would go back now TBH (sorry if that sounds snobby!) there is just so much better skiing to be had elsewhere without the worry about your equipment being nicked, strip clubs on every corner etc.....

My favourite thing was the sign in the lobby of the Rila Hotel at the bottom of the lifts where our mates were staying. Something along the lines of:
"No Ski Boots,
No Dogs,
No Guns"

Ha! Skullie

Edit - sorry, I know the OP was asking about Bansko but from what I gather, much of a muchness....
ski holidays
Quote:

Edit - sorry, I know the OP was asking about Bansko but from what I gather, much of a muchness....

I have skiied in 3 of the Bulgarian resorts :- Pampopovo, Borovets and many times in Bansko. I have also skiied in Tignes, Cervinia, Val Thorens and Banff, Lake Lou and Sunshine.

I love Bansko and have just booked for next week 11/01 for a week in a 3* hotel for £380 b & b including single room supplement,flights, transfers and lift pass . I have stayed in the same hotel before and the accomodation is as good as it was in Canada and far superior to anywhere I have stayed in France. Ok the skiiing is limited on Piste but there is plenty of off piste to enjoy given good conditions.

The food and drink is fantastic value and by no means any worse than I have experienced in France.

Bansko, being a real town rather than a purpose built resort like Borovets has lots to offer in the way of nightlife and some fantastic traditional restaurants where you can get a fantastic meal with a bottle of wine for about £20 a couple. It is still possible to get the £1 pint and pizzas for less than a fiver if you look around and avoid the tourist traps. I find the people very friendly and helpful but the only thing I dislike are the queues at the gondola sometimes. When I first visited in March 2006 we virtually had the mountain to ourselves but now it has become very popular. If there's a few of you it is possible to bypass the gondola in a taxi for a few quid each.

All in all I think that the skiing is not as vast as other places but there are some fantastic runs there to improve your technique and scare yourself on as well if thats what you are after.
ski holidays
Dave Canski, have you looked at the snow and conditions at the moment? According to ski club go gb site there are only 4 out 14 lifts open. Sad. My parents are flying out at the same time as you. I am hoping some snow will come in soon for them, but forecasts aren't encouraging.
ski holidays
NickyJ, I think we can rely on good old SCGB for conditions reports on Davos but I don't think they can't be expected to have reliable info on scummy places like Bulgaria and Scotland. They're really not worth the bother when Verbier's such a hoot darling.
ski holidays
Super Chap Great Bloke, thanks for that, are you aware of a better source of info for Bansko?
snow conditions
NickyJ wrote:
Super Chap Great Bloke, thanks for that, are you aware of a better source of info for Bansko?

Try http://banskoski.com/en/ i was there lats December and only 4 lifts were open, unless they've had a dump of powder it wouldn't surprise me, snow cannons were continually on.
ski holidays
Ah looking at that there now 5 lifts open.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Super Chap Great Bloke wrote:
NickyJ, I think we can rely on good old SCGB for conditions reports on Davos but I don't think they can't be expected to have reliable info on scummy places like Bulgaria and Scotland. They're really not worth the bother when Verbier's such a hoot darling.

What the f***s scummy about Scotland you cheeky git, mind your manners.
ski holidays
Transfer times cut by an hour at least now due to motorway nearly fully finished .
Lift queues also been addressed and staff fill gondola and chairs more efficiently also .

All resort have busy periods so plan when a resort doesn't have an event or high holidays going on , OR get up early to beat queues ???

You can get drunk anytime of the year, you pay to ride or ski , so do it NehNeh
snow report
@winterfunman, how far have they got with it now? do you skip the section with all the car dealerships yet?
snow report
winterfunman wrote:
Transfer times cut by an hour at least now due to motorway nearly fully finished .

"Nearly" isn't finished. Most of Bansko is nearly fininished, but not quite.

If you're gonna pop up on every post which mentions Bansko or Bulgaria, banging your drum promoting your business in Bansko, It's gonna get a bit boring.

How exactly have they "addressed" the one lift out of town situation?
snow report
It's that Eastern European exquisite cuisine that would attract me.
snow conditions
emwmarine wrote:
It's that Eastern European exquisite cuisine that would attract me.

Grey meat and spuds swimming in cold fatty liquid does it for me too. Very Happy
ski holidays
Actually the Turkish cuisine in Bulgaria is rather good.

I have rather fond memories of Bansko before all the development. The town was a genuine old Balkan walled town. The people were friendly and kind and you went up to the ski area in a huge second hand military truck. Ski hire was from the back of a van at the truck stop. If you were lucky you got a matched pair.

I recall sitting in the early spring sunshine watching the horses and carts trot and canter up and down the street and for the first time understood what hobbling a horse actually meant.

The skiing wasn't upto much though.
ski holidays
@johnE,

Sounds great. Shame that the Eurocash and the blacked out 4x4s that followed came along.
latest report
we went at halfterm this year, skipped the queues by paying about £1 each to get a lift upto the top, and were among the first on the lifts. Was really surprised with the quality of restaurants on the mountain, and the amount of snow cannons and quality of the lift system is easily on a par with France now.
ski holidays
@powderseeker, does the link work for you? maybe it is an issue for viewing it in the US? What is the title of the clip, as maybe I can search for it that way.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy