Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down Jackets - views? reviews? recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
I am lucky enough to be getting a down jacket for Xmas. In principle anyway.

I already have a Mountain Hardwear "Below Zero" vest, which is tremendous. It's only restriction being that I'm paranoid wearing it if it's likely to rain.

My two jacket candidates (at this point anyway) are the

Mountain Hardwear (MH) "Below Zero SL" jacket which is apparently waterproof

or

the MH "Phantom" which is vaguely water repellent (i.e. will cope with snow), has no hood but is significantly less bulky and lighter.

Any thoughts anyone? I have seen opinions elsewhere suggesting that if it's cold enough to need to wear down it's cold enough that it won't rain. I'm mostly going to use it round town/resort to and from the bar so I wonder whether waterproofness might not be more important.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
While on an avalanche safety course in -20C conditions last Jan all the hard-core British Columbians had down jackets that they wore underneath their waterproof shell jackets.

Down jackets seem to come with little bags to stuff them into while you're travelling. This implies that they can squash down okay under your normal ski jacket. Therefore I wouldn't worry about the waterproof-ness of the down jacket. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, but this multiplies the Michelin man effect no end. In -20 I tend to use my patagonia R4 under my shell.

The thing will mostly be used casually/socially where I don't want to worry about layering too much.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, I'd suggest that more important for a resort jacket is its resistance to burns, friend of mines jacket was ruined when the remains of a ciggarette dropped onto it melting a hole through the thin nylon outer
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, hmmm, a very good point but one that I doubt I'll solve.

I suppose I could get an F1 nomex suit though? I bet they do them with yellow trousers!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.

Why doesn't he just go skiing?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, I think the thing to check is that the outer fabric is not really lightweight, thicker nylon would not have melted so quickly
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You see more & more people skiing in them (not just punters Wink). I've had one for a few years which I seemed to stop wearing, oddly (or not), the only times it ever comes out is when I'm doing things like avalanche courses. I've just passed it on to my father for wearing in the garden.

I've also just bought a brand new 'puffa' for my resort coat. It had to be warm enough to wear around resort with just a t-shirt (maybe a thin sweatshirt / fleece) underneath. As it was primarily going to be a pub jacket I was over the moon when I found a Primark jacket for £11 (the wife dragged me in). It's not down, but is pretty warm - tested over the last few days but only to -2 but I can see a decent comfort range in it. And it doesn't matter how much beer gets spilt over it, I'm hoping to keep the number of cigarette burns down as it'll probably go up in 2 seconds. Good fit and not the ugliest jacket I've ever seen so pretty happy with it.

Maybe go for el cheepo yourself and then spend the other £150 on something else, with buttons, or something.

Otherwise, two good choices. Obviously avoid a Nuptse, great jacket - just a little, how do you say? chav? (sorry rolling eyes ) Also check to see what RAB have out. The main choice for me would be the durability of the other shell, even over how waterproof/phobic it is. Some down jackets are very lightweight so the manufacturers go for equally lightweight fabrics.

Try not to get it too wet whatever. Use Nixwax Down wash and perhaps a proofer to help keep it better, longer.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The benchmarks always used to be the Mountain Equipment Lightline (active winter or summer alpine climbing) or Annapurna (sitting on belays in winter). Rab Nuptse supposed to be good too. They used to be avaiable in a number of shells (e.g., waterproof goretex or water repellant pertex) but I'm out of touch now. Personally I reckon if its raining then its far too warm to be wearing a down jacket. The goretex options tended to be aimed at expedition use where they might get exposed to snow melting in tents etc rather than rain.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all, I do want to have a look at the Rab's.

The "if it's raining it's too warm" argument I think is valid in the context of climbing where one has layers underneath and a shell above.

parlor's scenario of just wanting something handy to haul over a t-shirt on the way to the Farm (mwoi, mwoi, darleeng) is closer to my typical use case so unless the Phantom is really cool, I'll go for the slightly more robust BZ SL. (those were air kisses by the way. Couldn't find a suitable smiley)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I used to have a Jack Wolfskin liner that zipped into a goretex jacket. It was like a luxury duvet I wore it about twice, but never used it again as I never encountered conditions cold enough. A january night in Val Thorens doing Sentry duty would have been perfect, but as soon as Ii exercised I just overheated.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Down for social wear at night is about as good as there is, though I really rate my flying jacket, its good for sleeping on stations in the winter... don't ask..!!
I keep my skiing jackets seperate from social use now and down would be too warm on the hill anyway, I think.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd second the recommendation for Rab - I've got an old 'active' range jacket (lower fill power than their Expedition range at the time) that kept me warm through all sorts of brutal weather while coaching rowers on the Cam. Utterly comfortable (although not more than showeproof) but now looking a little battered after 9 years use. Only possible quibble is that (or they used to be) rather functional in design and perhaps not the most stylish.

A friend has a North Face parka with 550 fill power down and a fairly waterproof looking shell. Furry trim on the hood too. Bit retro and looks pretty good.

Nuptse (also TNF, not Rab) is just too shiny...

Wouldn't want to ski in anything with down though, would be far too hot!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, I used to have a very long, heavy coat that was great for sleeping anywhere. Just wrap it round.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi DM,

Expect OH has vetoed that coat now....!! But hey, gets you a new Down jacket which will earn its money...!
Friends use ME and NF down jackets but they may have 'steal' appeal.. !!
Booking Engelberg/Andermatt soon for mid jan... how about you..? Sorry for the hijack.!!
ski holidays
JT, oooh, am seriously tempted...let me look at logistics.

The coat (it was Jaeger BTW and darn good quality) eventually wore out (after 3 years at University and one complete ski season). Got slept in on floors many, many times.

I'm quite excited about a new jacket although I do not see myself skiing in it.
snow conditions
David Murdoch,

Too warm for sking and a bit michelin man...total no, no, I have said....Besides you don't want to out on the town in a jacket you have skied in all day...!!!
ski holidays
Sleasyjet Luton/Basel daily and 2 hr 15 mins train to Engelberg, one stop..!! Damn! Double hijack..sorry guys but he owns the thread and we are talking about the nitty gritty here...!!
snow report
JT, Be aware that you have to get a bus from the airport to the train station in Basel
snow conditions
I've got a Rab jacket - saved my life on climbing trips. I've worn it under gore tex outer coat before now and found it lovely and warm. When in bars you can just put it in the stuff sack and hang it from your belt.
latest report
Hi blueskix,

Did the trip last year and the bus trip is a chore but only 2.5 chf..... The taxi is about 40chf..!!

I thought they were putting in a rail link...!!
ski holidays
I have a Rab summit extreme which is resting in the cupboard, i'm just waiting for the weather to get cold enough to use.
ski holidays
Quote:
JT
Besides you don't want to out on the town in a jacket you have skied in all day...!!!

Sometimes it's nice to let people around town know WHO was throwing the lincolns off a cliff. Twisted Evil

That's why I have a resort coat. Wink
latest report
sounds very nice Embarassed
snow conditions
smurfabig, congratulations on bumping a 6 year old thread!

You are obviously wanting to spam your own products, but your ability to use the search function is so impressive that I think your post deserves to stay.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy