Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has anyone ever skied the Saint Pères couloirs at VT? Possible EOSB fun for tourers or climbers.

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone here ever done any routes on the Les couloirs des Saint Pères? They are the ones we all gaze to the left at while heading up the Moraine chair in VT. I think I'd need to improve a fair bit, and have rope back up for the first 30m Toofy Grin But the left is easier (4.2). Some people have climbed up to where the Y forks and just skied down from there. I've been looking at them for years now but this season I'll have all the climbing gear with me on the EOSB.

http://freeskier.dk/freeskier-rutes/freeskiing-val-thorens/peclet-polset-val-thorens-france/couloirsstperes/ (Click on the pic to expand).

Vid
http://youtube.com/v/TyzubQQVosQ

And in worse weather conditions...
http://youtube.com/v/suRtToQfdeY

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 20-12-13 23:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What I'm really asking is... Does anyone fancy having a play there. Skin up at dawn (possibly), climb the bottom section to check it out, then see what we think. 45 - 50 degree gullies can be climbed with one axe pretty safely unless they are icy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Avalanche Poodle, have skied them all a few times. Lookers right is definitely the steepest... Not much to add as conditions can make them all feel easier or harder - have made turns from the top of the steep one and equally have downclimbed the first 30m due to rocks/ice...
One word of caution, if you are going up from the bottom then be there early as most people do them as a loop off the lifts by skinning up the back on the Chaviere glacier - the last thing you want is people dropping in on you while you are boot-packing...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers, good thought. If I do that I'll aim to get there before the lifts open. Otherwise get the lift and skin. Depends if I can get anyone to go with really. If I skin up I'll take a 60m thin rope, always handy in case the top section is dodgy and the block at the top looks good to protect the first 30m if necessary.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avalanche Poodle, looks interesting I could be tempted to give this a go at the EOSB, if the conditions are good etc etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
AB Ski, See what conditions are like that week. There are often signs of slides at the base below the rocks so timing would be important to avoid ice at the tops and avi risk at the bottom.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Found another good pic here
http://www.skitour.fr/topos/photo.php?i=3970
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A huge effort to climb up them I'd have thought when it is such an easy access from the top of the lift and glacier from the back. Not as far or steep as the Col Gebroulaz, which isn't that much of a skin/climb itself. I've not skied the 3 Valleys since I've skied things like the St Peres couloirs, but the guide book says the Grand Couloir (a bit further to skiers right), which is also longer, is a steady 40º all the way, so perhaps the first one to do. And then, of course, further round still, and longer and easier, there is the grand Face Ouest which I think has been done on the EOSB before and is one of the best off piste descents in the region.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowball, Thanks for the info. I think the skin up from the rear is definitely the best option. Plus starting from the left and the easier ground, depends on how much stuff I get done during the season. I'm only just getting into the steeper ground on skis, but have done a lot of winter climbing in the past. If there is an EOSB gang going up the main route I'll be happy to join them Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you don't have the 3 Vallleys off piste book I can scan and send the description of the routes and access. Mind you, it might be worth getting the book if you don't have it (you should be able to get it in the village, I think) plus the 1:25,000 map of course.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, Cheers, I've managed to find some notes for access to the three Peres descents but the more info I have the better, it would probably be worth my while getting the book as you say, as long as the EOSB continues to be held at VT Smile If I PM you my email addy could you send them digitally?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sure - mind you, there are so many other routes....

However, I just Googled the book and I think it may be out of print. It was published by Vamos and was in dual language French/English.

Edit: on looking further the 3 Tarrentaise books seem to have been reprinted as one volume. I can't believe, however, that it can be pocket size like the old ones. Here it is
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball, Cheers for that. I think that will be a 'must buy' Smile If I have any money left for the EOSB after the season in Austria rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball, that is a different book - all touring (albeit some starting from lifts), as opposed to the separate off piste guides for EK & 3V etc. Haven't seen the Vamos guides in the shops for a while (though haven't looked that hard), think you can still get the Clés des 3 vallées though, although from memory the descriptions for access to the St Peres options were better in Vamos...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Will have a check in the next few days but pretty sure the St Peres aren't in the Vamos touring book - Peclet West face and Gebroulaz are in there I think though...
ski holidays
The Peres look pretty easy to get to on the map. As long as there are no nasty crevasses at behind the ridge line where you skin up Smile
snow report
offpisteskiing, oh that's a pity. Perhaps he should look for second hand copies of the old books.
In the 3 Vallees book you get successively on that climb up:

(4a) Saints Peres branche de droite;
(4b) Branche de gauche;
(4c) Couloir de gauche;
(5) Roc des Saints Peres.

Then:
(5a) Grand Couloir; (not the Courchevel one)
(5b) Triangle;
(5c)Petite Face Nord
(6) Face Ouest

Then the various descents from the Col de Gebroulaz, to Meribel, Prolognan etc
ski holidays
Those are all on my to-do list, and I've looked at them a few times at the end of season when doing other routes around there. I'll be in Meribel again for the season (delayed start this year) so know plenty of people who are up for adventures, but always up for discussing conditions, maybe have an extra person join a group, or have a couple of seperate groups that do it at the same time and keeping an eye on each other/taking photos from distance etc. In other words please get in touch nearer the time and see what we can work out...
ski holidays
Sounds like a plan. I'm sure as the EOSB looms closer a thread could be started for anyone looking to do some touring / ski mountaineering routes. Lets just hope I get some more experience of jump turns by then snowHead
snow conditions
This site may prove useful.

http://www.valthorensguide.co.uk/offpiste.html
snow report
My brother and his girlfriend are in the photos in the Raffort route on that page. We've all done plenty of of touring and off-piste teaching around the area, but every time I tick off a new route, I normally see at least 3 more. I had great plans for the end of last winter with all the good snow but then it all started falling off the mountains and after watching some avalanches that lasted well over 5 minutes we had to scale everything back.
latest report
simon_bates, Nice one on the pics Smile That's what I'm worried about for mid to end of April skiing. Part of why I may decide to climb up and take a good look at the snow pack. I reckon that there will be a narrow time window between a frozen surface and running water on the rocks under the snow Sad
snow conditions
Looking at those videos makes me think Chapeau to you lot. There's no way I would summon the courage to launch myself down there. I imagine a trip or fall would be an interesting experience. Smile
snow report
emwmarine, It all depends on conditions. I've climbed a lot steeper solo, but that's with crampons and axes. I wouldn't attempt that type of thing if it was hard icy snow Shocked I'm just starting out on proper graded descents. I can hold an axe and pole in one hand though in case of the need for emergency braking, the BD flick-lock have a thin grip section below the handle that lends itself to that. A few years ago I wouldn't have entertained that route, but I seem to really enjoy the technical aspect of picking a line down, probably even more than climbing up things, so I've just found that the steepness has gradually increased alongside my experience. I've been looking at that line for years and now the compulsion to do it has just become too strong. If it looks like it's beyond me though, I'll go back the way I came. I'm too old for stupidity Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Bump!
ski holidays
ScarpaTheAvalanchePoodle, are crampons and axes required for this? I dont mind doing a bit of skinning to find some fresh but I'm no mountaineer.
snow report
hmmm looks interesting, may well be up for it. I'd rather climb it first - if I can climb it, I can ski it for sure, as I'm a cr*p climber.
ski holidays
The touring is easy from the back of the ridge. I have 3 axes with me so there are a couple of spares in case there is a need for scrambling.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I await the report back with interest.
latest report
I'm still up for this. See what conditions are like at the time but think I'd favour skinning up the glacier as the method of access.
snow conditions
Well, it's still on for next year. Looks as if at least three skiers did the right hand descent mid week, on zooming in the tracks look pretty good.

ski holidays
Both branches in that photo got skied last week (several times)..
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy