Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Money question!

Poster: A snowHead
'How long is a piece of string' type question.....

But how much money would people take for 1 week skiing in Mayrhofen over New Year?

Half board and all ski hire etc prepaid. Will like to have a few drinks each night... maybe wine with dinner. Lunch on the slopes and a few stop offs each day for a drink etc. Plus of course general spends in and around the resort!

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im budgeting about £300 for a week in kitzbuhel, which is probably what I normally spend on a week in France which will include atleast 1 big night out drinking and one big meal out + lunch on the slopes and abit of apres.

however I may be using my card when drunk and not remembering so it could be much more Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
+1 , about £300 or so I would say.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Forgot to say. There will be 2 of us. Is the £300 per person??
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
theone, absolutely
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go for £600 min, £20x6 lunch, £20x6 wine, £30x6 apres, plus incidentals.

This budgetary figure is obliterated if you frequent nightclubs/lapdancing bars, if you do you can pass on lunch to reign it back in a bit.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aye £300 - £400 per person should cover it.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=105699 - new it was there somewhere Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gandie wrote:

This budgetary figure is obliterated if you frequent nightclubs/lapdancing bars, if you do you can pass on lunch to reign it back in a bit.

Hope this helps.

Best budget so far. It is easy to spend £100.00 an evening on dinner for 2.

I am aware that some people will be along to tell you you can get by with 12pence and a pot noodle, but as you are on holiday £600 for both of you is not excessive.

Or stay in and save a fortune.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blahblahblah wrote:
gandie wrote:

Hope this helps.

Best budget so far. It is easy to spend £100.00 an evening on dinner for 2.

I am aware that some people will be along to tell you you can get by with 12pence and a pot noodle, but as you are on holiday £600 for both of you is not excessive.

Or stay in and save a fortune.

He's forgotten to factor in evening meal x 6 or is that covered by incidentals? Also I think gandie is suggesting £600pp not for both Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
blahblahblah, halfhand, OP said he was half-board, so AIUI his query relates purely to lunch and booze throughout the day. £300 pp sounds about right to me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu, Yes sorry got carried away. Dinner is done, so I agree with £300pp, as long as dinner is edible.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm having trouble with my reading these days. That's the second thread today Embarassed . I'd better go and have a lie down.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How do I manage so spend €500 every time? even when on chalet board?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Four 500ml jars of beer after skiing at €8 each on each of six days = €200.

A pizza and two jars of beer at lunch is another €200.

12 coffees at €4 each = €50.

A couple of beers at the airport at each end, and there's your €500 before you've started!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
James the Last, I don't do the coffee, but the beer intake seems a bit light - that'll be it!
snow report
holidayloverxx, Yes, I know what you mean! Although £300pp is a very sensible budget and should be spot on one does somehow always seem to spend more than planned.
snow conditions
James the Last, Glad you have pitched in with that breakdown, I was worried my PSB spending was excessive when I saw the reference to £300 Shocked
ski holidays
James the Last,
OP is going to austria, no €8 beer there
latest report
I normally take about €200 with me for a week (half board, own equipment, no lessons, lift pass pre-paid) and come back with about €80. But in my defence I can't drink much...
snow report
For half-board catered chalet trips (in France) I usually reckon on £150 a week for lunches, one evening meal with wine in a nice restaurant and the odd vin chaud or beer at the end of the day. I guess this would go up quite significantly if I was to drink more beer in the resort bars and have bigger, posher lunches...
latest report
I thought the rule of thumb for any ski holiday was take twice the money you first thought of and half the clothes you first packed
ski holidays
In the old days, I used to reckon you needed a suitcase full of cash (or at least Eurocheque capacity to cover that) for a holiday at St Anton - and if I didn't feel I cold afford that, I shouldn't go. We may use debit cards these days, but pretty much the same principle still applies to any major resort, still, particularly if you are heavily into Après.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
I thought the rule of thumb for any ski holiday was take twice the money you first thought of and half the clothes you first packed

assume you'll be in bed for 10.00 if you budget on £300.00

my experience is that when you start using cards you loose all track & hey - you're on holiday......enjoy it & stuff the expense, the most expensive part is getting to resort Very Happy

I would have thought £100/day would be somewhere more realistic snowHead
snow conditions
theone, it doesn't really matter if you don't enough cash as they have these handy machines in the walls of banks which give you more when required.

When and if they stop working it's time to go home
latest report
James the Last wrote:
Four 500ml jars of beer after skiing at €8 each on each of six days = €200.

A pizza and two jars of beer at lunch is another €200.

12 coffees at €4 each = €50.

A couple of beers at the airport at each end, and there's your €500 before you've started!

Those are the sorts of prices you may pay in the mega French resorts.

You won't pay anything like that in Austria, where a beer is around €3 - €3.50

A bowl of Goulaschesuppe at lunch should be between €4 and €6, a big plate of tirolergrostl would be €8-€12

I don't drink heavily - about 2-3 large beers in the evening, and just hot chocolates and lunches on the mountain, but I would not expect to spend more than about £200 worth of Euros in a week (traveling by myself).

All the above were the sort of prices I was paying last year in the SKiWelt, I don't recall much difference in the Zillertal.
snow conditions
even on the German ICE trains, which is one place beer prices *are* slightly inflated compared to the pretty much fixed Austro-Germanic beer pricing, you'll still get change from €4 when buying a Weissbier.

my rule of thumb is 3 beers for a tenner anywhere in austria/germany, 2 beers for a tenner in a french resort, and 1 for a tenner in courchevel (may as well just pop the €0.10 change in the charity pot)
(all being half litre beers)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 21-12-13 0:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
alex_heney, I was paying €3.90 for goulaschesuppe, €11 for a big plate of venison on the mountain.
snow conditions
andy wrote:

rolling eyes 'Lady' pints rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, Is that a censored Thai term? Wink
ski holidays
Avalanche Poodle, YOU Shocked are asking me!
snow report
Reading the above posts, and like others have suggested/indicated, it really depends.

I think you would get a better idea if you phrased your question...
"how much does a pint of beer/glass of wine/pizza cost in the resort and on on the slopes (or whatever you need to know) etc, etc cost?" - and then extrapolate based on that!
i.e. use that information to decide (based on your own individual drinking/eating habits) how much you need. Everyone has their own habits/preferences so best to ask for specifics and you can then work it out yourself.

The answers above range from £300-£600 which highlights the fact it is an individual thing, and very subjective. Some people consider "dinner" to be a small pizza costing a few euros, some consider it to be a 2/3 course meal.
ski holidays
alex99, Damm! there's always a sensible one Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
p.s Alex Heney - where can i get a 500ml glass of beer for EUR 3-3.5 in Mayhorfen? please please tell me!!! Smile
ski holidays
Masque - haha Smile
latest report
Masque wrote:
andy wrote:

rolling eyes 'Lady' pints rolling eyes

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin where a US pint is less than that Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I think the topic says how much would you take ?

I normally only take 50 plus what's left from last trip
I couldnt tell you how much I spend as I never add up my atm receipts and card transactions,
It would only upset me :0)
snow report
alex99, inside pils bar does 500ml beer for 3.20. Scotland Yard, passage bar 3.50. Apropros 400ml for 3.

Prices are reasonable in mayrhofen, you won't get stitched up.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy