Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier summer skiing................

Poster: A snowHead
Easiski, if we are down there in the summer, we will give it a go, been put off by others who will remain nameless about how awful it is. I'm sure it can't be that bad.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen Beaumont, Last summer was terrible everywhere. Fortunately here in LDA we have so many other things to do that it's not really the end of the world. If you were staying in Tignes though ......

Summer ski-ing also includes walking, mountain biking, pony trekking, tennis, golf, trampolining, aerobics, running, paint ball, parapenting, bungy jumping, downhill go-carts, summer luge, canoeing, rafting, hydrospeeding, sailing, downhill scooters (very bizarre), swimming, sitting in the sun ............ I've probably missed out a few activities, but all this and you can ski as well. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have to second that. I may live close to Tignes now, but the overall facilities and ambiance don't even come close to those of L2A in my view.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, How much do we owe you?????
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski, well, everyone keeps telling me I'm in urgent need of some lessons Wink. H now keeps a minimum 100m away when we ski "together", in case anyone should associate the two of us Embarassed Sad .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PG, Well you'll just have to come back here then won't you? Of course I might be up your neck of the woods, but then again ....... Went to Tignes/Val last spring to be "recycled" and remembered why I haven't been there for 20 years! Wink Of course if you can get within 100m of H you'll probably be doing well Wink Wink Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
if you can get within 100m of H

Not a hope. We were all in VT a week back and little brother (don't think you've met him) who's not the least bit interested in racing but has skied all winter with the 'ski de loisirs' left me in his wake too. Most demoralising.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG, Yes I have met him - got a case of the "shy's" if you remember, and didn't want to go ski-ing with me!!!! Embarassed Glad he's doing well though. Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've come ito this a bit late as I've been away skiing - too busy with the apres ski to log on! I went to Saas Fee last summer to do some tuition with Waren Smith and loved it. The snow was good considering the exceptional summer and much better than the French resorts. It's also a beautiful and car free village.

Easiski, I have also skied / mountain biked in Les 2 Alpes and would certainly go back again (especially as it's close, at least for the moment), though it wasn't much fun skiing last summer due to the heatwave. Certainly a lot more going on than Tignes and I love the VTT run down to Venosc...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red Dave, Welcome back snowHead Were you in Flaine all that time?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi PG, I was there for 3 weeks (repping for the ever popular SCGB) Cool . Actually got back last Monday to a VERY full Inbox and workload so no time to log-on. Still haven't really this week, but as I was informed that a recent reorganisation requires me to relocate back to the UK ( Crying or Very sad ), my morale and motivation is somewhat down...

Anyway a fantastic 3 weeks skiing in Flaine (you should check it out some time - Le Grand Massif is really cool - lots of tree lined skiing and great powder bowls), and an emotional au revoir to l'Alpe d'Huez this w/e.

Know of any jobs in Bourg?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some data about the French glaciers.....

La Grande Motte (Tignes) 19 June to 5 September 0730 to 1330
2800m - 3456m
20 km of piste - 7 runs (6 blues, 1 red) + Snowpark
2 snow cannons (Rimaye & Grand Plan pistes)
Access by funicular or the Lanches chair (depending on conditions)
Access to glacier 10 mins

The Val Thorens glacier will definitely be closed this summer while the Funitel is being repaired...... shame, they have some nice steep runs between 3200 and 2900m, not much vertical but reds verging on blacks... hopefully open summer 2005 (around July 1st to mid-August, usually morning only 0800 to 1230...)

Les 2 Alpes
2800m - 3568m
12 lifts, 10 runs, snowpark
Access via Jandri Express 1&2 bubbles
Access time approx 35 mins
Dates to be confirmed (around June 23rd to August 31st, 0730 - 1500)

La Plagne, glacier de la Chiaupe, 2990m - 3120m.... open July 1st for a month (if at all), subject to conditions, ca. 0745 to 1500hrs. Very tiny glacier, flat, easy runs.

Val d'Isère... Pissaillas 2762m - 3300m, 9 pistes
opens subject to conditions June 26th to 15th August, 0730 to 1300.

Alpe d'Huez (Sarenne) 2880m - 3323m
7 pistes + snowpark, 10km of runs
26th June - 25th July

All of the above dates/times etc subject to change, double-check with tourist offices if you plan on going.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had a summer holiday (2001), camping near Bourg d'Oisans and we went to L2A a few times. (Didn't realise the Ad'H did summer skiing). The Alps are spectacular in the summer. There are other activities to do as well, golf, visit the ice grottos, climbing, cycling, river rafting, action parks, as well as sunbathe around a pool - whatever you want really. The weather is generally hot at the lower elevations in the summer.

As others have said, it is a very different experience to winter skiing.
On the down side, the runs on the glacier were limited and sameish, obviously way above the tree line so quite similar in appearance, snow conditions were varied.
On the up side, the sun was out the sky was blue, the experience was surreal. I would definitely do it again.

I am entirely jealous of Easiski, living there. It must be one the best places to be year round.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 4-05-04 6:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Les 2 Alpes is open this summer from 19th June until 28th August. As PG says, there are 10 pistes: 4 blue, 2 green & 2 red. Altogether there are 200 hectares of pistes. The snowpark has 2 halfpipes, boardercross track, bump piste, slope style area & big air jumps. They've made it even bigger this year!

Alernative/additional activities are: Mountain bike; climbing and walking; Parapente; Trampoline; Jump practice trampoline (attached to bungee cords); rowing, pedalo, canoeing; golf; crazy golf; pitch & put; freewheel gocarts; summer luge (like a cresta run); grass ski-ing; downhill scooters; archery; tipi village; bowling; pit-pat (sort of crazy golf on tables with pool cues); animal farm; fishing; helicopter rides; quad bikes; canyoning; rafting; kayaking; bungee jumping (140m); climbing walls; adventure park; paint ball; tennis; squash; swimming; pony trekking; sunbathing!

Now you can see why I don't normally try to list all the activities!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Red Dave wrote:
Know of any jobs in Bourg?

Still finding my feet here at the moment.... getting to know a few of the locals, and trying to sort out a job for my 21 yr old son who's looking to take a year off after finishing his degree... What sort of thing are you looking for??
snow report
easiski-hope you dont mind if I pick your brain for some more info on L2A.As our family always hol in France during the summer,and we all ski,the idea of summer skiing + usual hol stuff is very appealing.Earlier on you mentioned camping in the valley? How well does this fit in with access to lifts etc.Do you know of a web site or anything else that will give me some general info re locations,geography etc.You may be able to imagine the problems I have moving 3kids + wife around Shocked With the short ski time avaliable,how close can we get to the action?Usually go out for 2wks.What do you think?Sorry for loads of questions Embarassed We want to go-pleeeeeeze Wink
snow conditions
snowskisnow, We camped at the base of the final ascent to Alpes d'Huez at a 4* site called Rencontre du Soleil http://www.joliefrance.com/ars/ , tel 00 33 476 79 12 22, which was a v. nice small/medium campsite with pool, tennis courts, kids club etc. There were several other campsites there too.

It was 5 minutes from Ad'H and about 20-25 from L2A. There may be campsites nearer L2A maybe around La Grave, suggest that you try the tourist office. The cable car to the glacier at L2A was about 35 mins I guess, so travel time does add up.

I am sure that easiski will be better placed to assist.
ski holidays
snowskisnow, Tried most of the activities in L2A on Easiski's list over the past few summers! The grass skiing had gone last year though. The adventure park down in Venosc was fantastic fun for the kids. The only 'comfortable' campsite I know about is down in Venosc... but perhaps Easiski has more info on this. Trouble is from Venosc you have to first take the bubbles up to 2 Alpes followed by a shuttle to the glacier lift, which means you can't really take the Jandri up to the glacier very early. Driving isn't an option, it takes 40 mins or so - no direct access. Can't believe there isn't something in 2 Alpes proper, though a couple of years ago I looked for a friend and I could only find a very basic 1* place.

Just a suggestion... there are several non-profit 'village vacances' places... good value, loads of stuff to do, good food and atmosphere.... Les Clarines was one, Le Soleil another. The accommodation was a bit basic, but the easygoing, fun ambiance, as much 'home cooking' as you could manage, more than made up for it.

We always tried to get the 7.30 lift up to the glacier, but the race teams are there in force, so a group lesson first thing isn't a bad idea! That way you get past them all and on the first bubbles of the morning.
latest report
snowskisnow, There are several campsites close to LDA. It depends on how many facilities you want. There's a super one in Venosc, with a swimming pool and water slide etc. The gondola from Venosc runs every day for access to LDA. Most people go up the mountain in their trainers and leave their backpacks around at the top. There's also a ski store there so you don't have to lug it all up every day. Last summer it cost €13 to leave your skis overnight for 6 days. Boots can't be left up there (too cold).
Ray Zorro, is spot on about A la Rencontre du Soleil. It's a very nice site, and you can go with Canvas Holidays if you don't want to cart all your own gear. You can also drive to Venosc from there and go up the mountain as per above.
Up the road from Venosc there's a very basic campsite just before you get to the village of St Christophe. I don't think it has more than the most basic facilities though, but I had Danish clients who stayed there last summer and loved it.
There's a resonable campsite at Le Freny d'Oisans which is about 15 mins drive from LDA, but it doesn't have a pool. Very nice people though. Le Freny might be a bit dull for kids I think.
We used to have a campsite in LDA, but sadly they gave planning permission to build apartment blocks on it. That was a real shame - I lived there for 2 years in my caravan.
PG, is right about Les Clarines and Le Soleil being good value for money, and a nice atmosphere - very good grub. He could tell you how much Les Clarines was when they stayed there a couple of years back.
You could look on the websites for good deals and info: www.les2alpes.com ; www.venosc.com ; and also there must be a website for the Bourg d'Oisans tourist office, but I can't find it at the moment - sorry.
Hopefully that will answer most of your questions, but if anyone wants more detailed info you can send me a pm or email me direct (see the link from Snowheads). Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski,what can I say;loads of info Shocked Slowly sifting my way through it all.The web sites have masses of info.From all I've read so far(eg PG)it would seem access is the main problem.As you say,its a shame theres no campsite in LDA itself.Am I right in thinking Venosc is as close as it gets?PG's post would suggest its a bit of a hike(up one lift,shuttle,then another lift)OK for a solo but I've got a family to move around(its supposed to be a holiday,not an army logistics exercise Puzzled )Seriously,how good/bad is access.Seem to be a few deals on passes eg 20% of at most campsites.Also day on/day off pass(Think it was max 4days in 6,non consecutive)As we shall prob go for 2wks,this seems a good idea?Anyhow,its looking promising;starting to fancy it more & more.If I may i will prob mail you direct as it gets nearer.See you on the glacier??
snow report
snowskisnow, Yes, Venosc is as close as it gets, but I don't think it's all that bad. I have winter clients who stay there as well. PG likes to go up at the crack of dawn, but then his daughter is VERY good. Most people prefer to start ski-ing around 09.30 anyway when it starts to soften up. You would only have to move the equipment once. If you rent skis from Dode Sports, they are right at the lifts and you can leave your ski boots there. From the top of the Venosc lift to the centre of town is about 10 mins walk, or 15 if the kids are under 8 &/or don't like exercise! There are regular free buses around the town, but I think it's easier to walk. Definitely deals from the Venosc campsite on liftpasses. The 4 day non-consecutive lift pass is very good, especially if the weather forecast is a bit dodgy. You can get it for a 6 day period (whether you'd get a discount on this one which is already discounted I don't know).
By the way, it's still snowing and set to continue until at least Sunday!
snow report
easiski thanks for further info.Its looking better and better Very Happy Seems the kids are(at present)more interested in normal summer stuff.Suits me fine,means I can ski my boots off without constant demands for chocolate and and suicidal jumps Shocked My son is esp keen on trying to wreck my knee's Puzzled Will now spend some time looking through the sites.Have mailed Venosc and LDA for brochures.Barring anything unforeseen we will be there.One thing,any time we should avoid.We are thinking of mid August.Thanks for everything;will keep in touch.Will look you up when we get there.
PS.Please dont mention the snow Sad In the UK its persistantly raining and I do miss the white stuff Sad Sad.
latest report
snowskisnow, The earlier the better. The French come in August, and we have often lost the 2 lowest runs by then. If possible plan to come as soon as the kids break up. Everything is running from 1st July, and the weather is often better in the alps in July than in August (T time thunderstorms). However all isnot lost if you come in August, but expect it to be slightly more expensive and busier.

If it continues cold and carries on precipitating (no mention of anything not black), we are hopeful. Very Happy
snow conditions
easiski,thanks again.Waiting on brochures etc will then look at best ferry/road route etc.Could you tell me the name of the campsite at Venosc(is it by the gondola?)Kids break mid July I think;must check dates.Really looking forward to this.By the way-will you be avaliable for private lessons etc?Always try to get at least one in every trip.Hope to see you soon.
snow report
snowskisnow, all the details of the Venosc campsite at http://www.champ-du-moulin.com/
snow conditions
That must rate as one of the fastest replies ever Shocked Thanks PG Wink
snow conditions
snowskisnow, PG never misses a chance. Of course I was there and not here, (couldn't remember my password). Of course I'm available I'll send you a PM with my personal email. Very Happy snowHead
snow conditions
Quote:
Zermatt fully open through 2004

Latest info ref. Zermatt summer skiing at Natives....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
"When seagulls follow a trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Or if you opt for Tignes between July 9th and 11th, you can go see Eric Cantona playing pro beach football....
snow conditions
Make sure you're not in the front row if you do happen to go Twisted Evil
latest report
A report on 2 Alpes from Expatica....
snow report
Some news from Natives about summer skiing and events at Val d'Isère/Tignes. The Pissaillas glacier (Val) is scheduled to open on June 26th, the Tignes glacier a week earlier. Any snowHeads heading this way at the end of next month?

Long weekends catered for in Bourg St Maurice, plus transport up to Tignes for anyone interested!

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2004/05/25vald.htm
latest report
& as far as I can tell Cervinia is open from June 26 to Sept 5
snow report
Summing up of the current state of the glaciers in France, as well as information on summer skiing, from PisteHors....

Quote:
.... Although after last summer’s heatwave ski resorts are not taking any chances, both Val d’Isère and Tignes have started to install snowmaking on their glaciers with the work to be completed over the summer of 2004. Mr Vincent says that over the last two decades ”lower down the glacier at Tignes has thinned by 30 metres but higher up it has gained mass due to precipitation....."

Quote:

....You have to be an early riser to appreciate summer skiing. Most lift systems open at around 7h30 and this is the time that slalom skiers can be seen training, taking advantage of the still hard snow. By 10am the snow will have softened nicely (assuming a clear overnight sky) and just after noon it is all over. Skiers will have to mix it with the many club and national skiers who use the glaciers for training. Probably of most interest are the snow-parks for boarders and skiers and the summer camps to learn new techniques.....

And much more......
snow conditions
PG, It's been discussed for LDA as well, although we'll have to wait until the new lake is built to see if there'll be sufficient water to run them.
latest report
Skied Saas Fee last summer at it was great. Went mainly to play in the park and hit the kickers and ride the pipe, but there is definitely enough piste to play around on to improve all of your skiing.

Best thing was that it stayed open till 1 or sometimes 2 in the afternoon. It was a bit slushy by then, but all the racers were gone by about 11 so it was pretty easy to get on the lift and find some room on the trails.

Def worth a few days at least if you're nearby.....
latest report
Hintertux is great for summer skiing, it does get slushy by 2.00ish, but everything is open and there are some wonderful walks to be done. Alternatively you can sit in the sun and watch the national teams training.
snow report
....forgot to say, my friends were skiing on it in fresh powder last week!!! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy