Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car at Geneva Airport for access to Morrillon

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure that these questions been answered but I've searched through previous topics and have throughly confused myself so....

Three of us are taking a short break (Thursday to Sunday) in March to Morrillon and we're flying in/out of Geneva airport. I thought that hiring a car would be the quickest way to get to and from the resort so have been looking at car hire options.

As I'm driving to a French resort, do I have to hire from the French side of the airport or can I hire from the Swiss side and take the car over the border? If I have a choice, which side is likely to give me a better deal?

Up until now, I had only been looking at hiring from the French side and it is not clear whether the cars come with winter tyres. If they don't, can I opt for a car with them fitted (I've only seen the option on one website). I know that I'll need to hire chains as there is a chain sign on the road up from Cluses, but as its quite a clear run to Morrillon, I am thinking that unless conditions are very bad, a set of snow tyres should easily take me all the way.

How long should we allow for check in at Geneva on the Sunday? As its not the major change over day, I was thinking that we could turn up a couple of hours before the flight and sail through, but I've seen a couple of comments on the site that suggests that the airport can get very busy.

Lastly, if anyone knows of a quick transfer to and from the airport (we don't want to wait for other flights etc.) that would be comparable in price with car hire, please let me know!

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rachelharrisonsmith, Hire from Swiss side (where you land). It will have winter tyres fitted and I don't think the price differential is too great (if any) and they will even allow you to drive in France wink . Chains may or may not be needed. You can hire them but you may not need them.

Checking back in to GVA on Sunday. In my experience 2hrs before your flight will be fine. My group typically get there with not more than an hour to the flight and we haven't failed to catch the flight yet (I'm not counting the time one of the guys left his passport in the apartment in Verbier). .

Transfers - sorry can't help
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rachelharrisonsmith, just be aware that if it's very snowy the police MIGHT require you to put on snowchains (even if you do have snow tyres). The hire company should give you some - if the car is not equipped, ask for them - you have paid for winterisation.

There is sometimes a difference in price between French and Swiss hire at Geneva but it's not consistent. Having the snow tyres and the Swiss motorway vignette makes life easier. It's also far easier to drive in and out of the Swiss side (even if you are coming from France).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For a short trip don't even think about giving yourself the grief of getting out of and back into the French side. Two hours on Sunday should be plenty but not if you go via French side - you could miss your flight while still trying to find the airport!
Having a car will make life a bit easier especially if oyu are staying at Les Esserts (1100). Not too much up there and you will probably want to go into Samoes at least one night.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't underestimate how busy the airport is on Sundays - and you'll need to take the car back, which isn't the work of a moment.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you're hiring a car, go Swiss-easy in and out access. Drive to resort should be about an hour -we rented a place in Les Carroz for a couple of seasons and I would guess the drive to Morillon is about the same, maybe a few mins more. 3 years ago a prebooked minibus taxi transfer to Les C for 3 was 120€ one way. So you may want to look at that-there are bound to be local taxi services advertising on the Morillon website - here's one http://www.morillon-transfers.com/?gclid=CIH7nPmEvbsCFTMdtAodu28AZQ . They seem to quote 170€ for 3 one way.

If you are flying home late on a Sunday (as in mid evening), the queues at GVA are not huge. So 2 hours should be fine. We used to get the 9.30pm flight home, and with hand baggage would arrive between 8 and 8.30 and easily pass through. You can ski a whole day, and still get an evening flight home. The car hire is 5 min walk from the terminal or there is the shuttle. On return, I would suggest dropping passengers at the terminal, and drive through toward car park P51 which is car return. Just before you get there there is a small petrol station up a slip road where you can refill. Unmanned and credit card operated, it ensures you can't be charged for leaving the tank even minimally empty.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As someone who flies in and out of Geneva to Flaine regularly my advice would be:
- hiring a car is the most convenient option
- look at the car hire rates online and hire from wherever is cheapest (sometimes the French side can be >£100 cheaper & you can be in the car quicker as there are less queues & the cars are parked closer)
- if the costs are competitive, the Swiss side does mean you get a motorway vignette & snow tyres which is a major advantage but these are not critical as you can drive through Geneva if needed
- make sure the car comes with chains (either side) even if you don't use them
- once you know the car hire company, register online with your details for one of their frequent user cards which speeds up the hire process & means you can use the express queue
- take a sat nav unit with you
- set it for Ferney Voltaire to help you get back to the French side if needed
- usually Sunday evening is not that busy but I normally arrive 2 hours before the flight to make sure there is enough time to fill the hire car with fuel, take it back, check in, etc (for a 9:00 pm flight we usually leave Flaine at 5:30pm)
- make sure you have some change for the tolls
As you probably have worked out, there is no right answer - just don't get stressed with the process & enjoy the skiiing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've used Alps Direct numerous times for private transfers to Flaine, Samoens and Morillon and would recommend them 100% if you go down the transfer route rather than hiring a car. In fact, they may be based in Morillon. They've been absolutely reliable, and very good, experienced drivers. We always arrange to meet the driver by the Montreux Jazz bar at the end of the arrivals concourse, where its a lot less frantic. That's my opinion, of course. There are lots of other options. Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I definitely want snow tyres so will check out the Swiss car hire prices.

two dogs, Perty, thanks for the name of the transfer companies, I will check them out. Rather stupidly, I booked to take skis (it would have been a lot cheaper to hire them), so I was thinking that taxis wouldn't work, but if they have mini buses, they'll be able to accommodate our luggage with ease.

We're off on a skiing road trip for two weeks today, so I'm going to forget all about transfers until the new year and concentrate on packing the car (much easier than flying....)

Thanks again for all your help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rachelharrisonsmith, I use http://www.argusrentals.com every time… Always get a good deal with them, usually the cheapest… Don't f*$k about with the French side, as it is a mare getting in and out… Swiss side is easy peasy and I am not convinced the price is that much different these days…

Smile

Enjoy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hi there, just to jump on this most useful thread. can i ask are all the car hire companies within the airport terminal? I am out on the 5th to Geneva and we want the quickest possible rental and exit from the airport as we are only away for 3 days. Ive looked at the suggested site argusrentals and the prices are good but not indication of which company they use therefore I dont know if the car hire desk is close to arrivals or not. I dont want to waste time walking to otherside of airport to collect the car. Can anyone give any info on this? many thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whichever side you hire from I've never found a company that didn't have a desk within the airport itself. From the French side it's a very short walk from the desks to downstairs and into the car park for all hire cars. From the swiss side it's a shuttle bus to the car park for all hire cars (very straightforward though, but if you've just missed a bus, you might have to wait 10mins for the next)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
benburton83, as fixx says, the desks might be in the terminal but the cars aren't (well, not on the Swiss side). Whatever company you use, you have to get the shuttle or walk. The cars are closer on the French side but there are other complications with hiring there - probably best to stick to the Swiss (international) side. Send the driver with the credit card ahead, whilst others collect the baggage.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
benburton83, as fixx says, the desks might be in the terminal but the cars aren't (well, not on the Swiss side). Whatever company you use, you have to get the shuttle or walk. The cars are closer on the French side but there are other complications with hiring there - probably best to stick to the Swiss (international) side. Send the driver with the credit card ahead, whilst others collect the baggage.

+1 to sending someone ahead, and booking from the Swiss side.

Just my personal preference, but it's so much less hassle to hire from the Swiss side, even if the prices are sometime a little higher. You get winter tyres, vignette, and avoid the massive stress of trying to find the French access road for returning the hire car at the end of your trip (seriously, it's hideous, and not what you want when trying to catch a flight).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks for the replies very useful and have set my mind at rest somewhat, will go for the swiss side car hire as thats where easyjet lands, and deffo send the driver ahead good thinking. hopefully will be on the slopes for before lunch Cool
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy