Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun/Zell am see

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
all,
staying in the sonnblick hotel in kaprun from 11/01/2014 and for the first time my non boarding other half is coming as well! so a few questions, what are prices like ie drink, lunches etc. and where is the best apres? we are looking at a few alternative activities such as parapenting, sledging, ski-doo's, sleigh rides, ice skating. does anyone have any recommendations or experience of these things in the area? also does the train to krimml only run on the evening or can we use it during the daytime to avoid missing dinner at the hotel?

thanks
john
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Drinks in bars and on the mountain - about €3.50-ish for a beer, a spritzer or a radler (shandy). Some après bars have Happy Hour deals. Food - Hearty goulash soup and a beer/cola will cost €8-12 on the mountain. Spag bol or sausage & chips a bit more. Wienerschnitzel a bit more again.

The hotel should be able to help out with non-ski activities. I don't know about the après in Kaprun, but Zell is lively and just a taxi or ski-bus ride away. Zell is included in your lift-pass. There is an ice rink at Zell, and if it freezes sufficiently, you may be able to skate on the lake too (but given the current temperatures, I don't think that is going to happen by 11th Jan).

The narrow-gauge railway from Zell to Krimml runs a couple of times a day; in the winter usually only with diesel engines rather than the summer steam locos. But other than the waterfalls, there is nothing to see in Krimml - and in mid-Jan it's likely to be fffffreezing. If you want a day-trip somewhere, take the train from Zell to Kitzbuhel or Salzburg. All train details in English on the OEBB website - www.scotty.at

Do not miss the amazing Tauern Spa at Kaprun - one of the best health and wellness complexes in Europe. If you and other half want a day of pampering, that's the place to go. http://www.tauernspakaprun.com/en
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
addo1,

Drinks/lunches are reasonable for a holiday resort. I think they are not too different from prices in the UK generally.

Activities such as paragliding/parapenting are avilable from Zell am See - they are frequently seen on the mountain. I'm not sure how you book, too scary for me - try the touist information offices. This is a good source of info : http://www.zellamsee-kaprun.com/en/activities/alternative-winter-activities

Zell am see also has an indoor skating rink and swimming pool which are open to the public. It is even possible to skate on the lake, though it is likely that you will be too early in the year for the lake to be sufficiently frozen.

Krimml waterfalls are open to the public from April to October only. A day trip to Salzburg is a good alternative.

Hope this helps. Have a great holiday!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
quinton, beat me to it. Great minds think alike!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
quinton, zellmaniac,
goulash and beer sounds good.....! planning to go to salzburg on our last day as we have an evening flight back but never thought about kitzbuhel, i will have a look at that. we have considered the tauern spa and may do that one day.
i have seen an evening trip on the train to krimml which runs at 4pm one day a week during the winter on the zellamsee-kaprun website but was thinking it would be nice to have a ride along during the day, however if there is not really anything to see it might not be worth it. we are lucky enough to be there when they hold the "night of balloons" so that should be good. just dont want my wife to be bored as it is her first snow holiday, this may mean i dont get as much boarding done as i would like but she is plannin on going up the mountain when i do.

cheers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zellmaniac, there is a paragliding school on the right-hand side of the main road as you come out of Kaprun to go to Zell. It is called Gleitschirm in German but I imagine the tourist Offies in both Kaprun and Zell with have contacts for the qualified tandem pilots.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy