Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tyred for the winter

Poster: A snowHead
Posted some links and comments on Winter Tyres earlier today; interested to know what Snowheads think?

Any other Snowheads running on Winter Tyres in the UK yet? Swapped mine onto the car on Sunday morning and reckon I had noticeably more grip than the day before - driving the same route in similar temperatures (around 2C). TBH I don't understand why they're not more common in the UK, given the chaos that ensues when a single drop of precipitation dares to fall as a snowflake in the South East. rolling eyes

Are you considering winter tyres?

Or do you drive to the Alps on big fat, wide and hard, summer rubber? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think we have less room in the garage than the European for storing a full set of winter tyres.

On the 4x4 I make do with a all-season tyres which is biased toward snow but the tyre model is not commonly available for small-wheel cars.

I think it is suicidal to drive on fat sport high speed low-profile tyres, without the proper snow tread pattern, to ski in the Alps.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep got mine put on over the weekend.....

Very cheap to pick up off ebay 4 x Pirelli Snowsport 210 Asym £80 with less than 1000miles use one them fitted to an audi a6 avant. They are in an identical size to the summer tyre (205/66r16) and worked well in Chamonix last winter...

Reasonable set of rims which i don't mind getting dinged/scratched £80

Fanastic grip and almost no need to get out the car and fit chains Smile

Roll on snow and ice both here and in France come Jan Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee wrote:
I think we have less room in the garage than the European for storing a full set of winter tyres.

I doubt that, more people live in flats and apartments here than in the UK so they've rather less storage. Most tyre retailers will store tyres for their customers for a small charge.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
J2Dave, Both. I've had winter tyres on my chevvy, and they made a huge difference. OTOH I haven't had any for the last three years or so on the Scorpio. Easy though, if it snows I just walk! Laughing

Seriously, winter tyres make an enormous difference to grip on icy or snowy roads. Particularly for rear wheel drive cars with big wheels and tyres.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ise wrote:

I doubt that, more people live in flats and apartments here than in the UK so they've rather less storage. Most tyre retailers will store tyres for their customers for a small charge.

I thought that too Ian, although it is also true that many German and French apartments have their keller or cave in which odd bits of junk can be stored. The impression I get in the Isère is that not many people run winter tires - either that or the skidding and swerving around the road is down to bad driving and too much Pinard Rouge at lunchtime. Come to think of it they swerve around the roads in high summer!

I must get the missus' tires down from our very small attic today and fit them as it is snowing outside now. I usually only keep them on the car during the colder parts of the winter as hot weather doesn't do them much good. They are Continental ThermoGomme M+S tires but there are limits to how good they are - if it is really icy a pair of chains will still get you more places.

In the south of England I can't really see the need for winter tires - after all the problem are roads blocked by other users.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
In the south of England I can't really see the need for winter tires - after all the problem are roads blocked by other users.
Exactly - I sat in my office in Tehran once watching it chucking it down, assuming I'd be OK with my 4WD Nissan Patrol. When going home time came, I was OK. But the buses and the taxis on bald tyres weren't. Since the whole of northern Tehran slopes gently up to the foothills of the Al Borz mountains it was absolute chaos. What should have been a 20 minute journey took me 2 hours of ducking and diving down back routes.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
ise wrote:

I thought that too Ian, although it is also true that many German and French apartments have their keller or cave in which odd bits of junk can be stored. The impression I get in the Isère is that not many people run winter tires - either that or the skidding and swerving around the road is down to bad driving and too much Pinard Rouge at lunchtime. Come to think of it they swerve around the roads in high summer!

Here in Switzerland the cellar's used for automatic weapons of course Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Many people here have only one set of wheels and have the tyre garage change and store the tyres.

I was quite surprised last winter driving over the pass at Mongenevre into France. We followed a Como registered Merc that started to slide around. I backed off but had no problems. We met up with the Merc driver later (he was a Brit actually) who said that he had summer tyres on and that was normal in Italy.

I once worked with a guy who was brought up in Sankt Moritz. He never used snow chains and was well used to driving the Juliapass (2200m and open all year round) in snow in a 2WD car with winter tyres. He had then bought a Subaru so that he wouldn't be forced to put chains on.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm looking for winter tyres on my 4x4 big wheels though 215/65/R16 any one any suggestions Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
redrunmarcus wrote:
I'm looking for winter tyres on my 4x4 big wheels though 215/65/R16 any one any suggestions Puzzled

That is a big winter tyre, winter tyres are often smaller than summer tyres. It's one of the reasons people have alloy summer wheels and cheaper steel winter wheels. A narrower tyre generally performs better in winter conditions.

Goodyear Ultra Grip 7's are getting top marks (by the Austrian and German AA equivalent). Other top performers were

Dunlop Wintersport 3D
Vredestein Snowtrac 2
Pirelli W 190 Snowcontrol
Conti TS 810 die
Michelin Pilot Alpine PA 2

Snowchain = Pewag Sportmatik (SMX 77 for that size tyre)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 24-11-05 9:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I still have some Pirelli Sno & Ice 265/70/R16's which were on a Toyota Land Cruiser Colorado if anyone is interested. I still haven't got round to putting them on ebay!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am sure that I am talking to the educated, but the general perception in Britain is that they are buying extra tyres, when all they are really doing is buying their next set a little earlier. Whilst using the snow tyres the summer tyres are not getting worn out. The cost of a repair to any part of the bodywork due to sliding off makes the cost of the extra rims look silly.
M80euf, I'd love to have your tyres for my Toyota but the logistics of getting them to Spain makes it too difficult. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK Question for you then. I just got a new (secondhand) car recently. A 2001 A4 Quattro. At the moment it has summer tyres so the decision I need to make is to buy winter tyres or not. For the last 2 winters I have been driving my old Corsa with chaines in the boot up and down the mountains each weekend. Very rarely do I have to put the chains on as where I live (Nice) never gets snow. I would say about 6-10 days per year do I need the chains. So would you recommed I get a set of winter tyres for my weekend trips (most of which will be motorway driving) ? I can get a cheap tyre (Nankang) all mounted for 400E but I have to figure out a place to store the summer tyres.

The thought of not buying the tyres and then sliding into the side of the road is really annoying me Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Diarmuid, Worth it for the peace of mind, on top of which the rubber compound usually gives better grip in the wet, you can always Ebay them if you change the car Madeye-Smiley
snow report
M80euf, hmm I wonder if those will fit my Mondeo (only need two though). Can't remember, must check and will come back to you, coz I'm interested!
snow report
buy them off ebay in the first place.... there are quite a few listed currently:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/snow-tyres_W0QQfltZ9QQfromZR8 No connection to sellers - for info only Smile

A H speed rated tyre will be good for I think 130mph which should be fine even for a french autoroute.
snow report
A few useful tyre links

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/uk/en/continental/automobile/general/safety/wintertyres_misconception_en.html

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/front/affich.jsp?codeRubrique=64

http://www.bridgestone.com.au/tyres/products/car/selector.asp

http://www.pirelli.com/en_42/tyres/fitment/fitment1.jhtml

http://www.goodyear.com/
snow report
Had a look on Ebay (.fr as I live in France) for a suitable set of tyres. There is one set of Vredesteins there but to collect would cost me abotu 9hours of travelling at 120E on fuel+tolls.

However looking on the web I found a set of Nankang that will fit my car for 295Euro. fitted for 355. That seems pretty good value. However I can't seem to find much info on Nankang. Anyone heard of them?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy