Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stolen Jacket in Val Thorens Police ask for proof of purchase

Poster: A snowHead
A heads up if you are heading to Val Thorens firstly beware people are stealing jackets from bars secondly when you report the theft the police refuse to take action without a proof of purchase. So if you are going there with a new anything take the receipt with you.

My daughter is with the Liverpool University ski trip and both her and another girl had their jackets taken from a bar.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RussellT, I lost my phone in Courch a few years back and for insurance purposes I needed a report that I'd informed the police. The police refused to do it as it was not a crime :/

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 18-12-13 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Realistically... I suspect that the tea-leaves just wanted the wallet/phone's from the pockets. It is much less "noticeable" to pick up a jacket, put it on, and walk out and THEN rifle through the pockets, rather than to search the pockets in front of everyone. The fact that the jackets were new will have largely been lost on the perps.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy you just answered your own question, if you said you lost it to the Police over here in the UK. They would not report it as a crime either. There are so many false mobile phone theft claims reported To Police to get insurance refund as lost phones are not recovered. It's got so bad that many Forces make the victim sign a declaration that that it was defiantly stolen as opposed to lost and the consequences of a false allegation is prosecution.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet Fez, police help recover lost property. If I found a wallet I would take it to the police - unless of course there were direct contact details in the wallet. If I found a phone or a watch, I would do the same. I was not making out it was a crime to anyone; it was a lost phone but the insurance company wanted that loss reported to the local police incase the item was found. The Courch police refused to do anything. Our police would have recorded the incident. I know this as I have handed in a wallet where that's what happened.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vote gixxerniknik for president...for first offence, they lose a finger, 2nd offence, lose the hand. I know it's harsh but I've had 2 motorbikes nicked, believe me these scumbags know no better.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, I found a set of car and house keys on a slip road while cycling recently. The police recorded the find in case the owner reported them missing. In the even I got Tesco to send them to the owner as there was a points card on the keyring. Never even got a thanks from the owner though Sad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Avalanche Poodle, such bad manners Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
my daughter had a goretex shell stolen from an apres bar seat in Les Arc today. Really upset her as it was a gift and put a damper on her hols. big uni trip with several schools filling the resort, i can only imagine they are all being targetted and the ski gear being sold on ebay... they aren't just after phones and money,,
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shimmy Alcott,

I found a [very new & expensive] phone while out walking last year. The police refused to do anything with it and Vodaphone also refused to contact the owner. I ended up just posting it through the letterbox of the local police station with a note.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
musher, wow. That's depressing. My police station took an almost empty wallet off me and did paperwork. Maybe it depends on the staff on duty at the time? Lazy?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sad sign of the times. We use a cable lock for our skis these days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had to help quite a few guests with police reports as a rep and unfortunately some of the local policemen were convinced that most tourists are just trying to pull a fast one and get some beer money of their travel insurance. It is extremely frustrating, especially when you know that it isn't the case.

Maybe if your daughter went with the rep they would be more helpful. Might be worth a try...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Never even got a thanks from the owner though
Bit like when disembarking a transfer coach I tapped the man in front on the shoulder and handed him the wallet (bulging with euros) that he'd just left on the bus seat.

His response? To snatch it in complete silence and just get off the bus Confused .

Made me wish I'd kept it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarlet Fez wrote:
Shimmy you just answered your own question, if you said you lost it to the Police over here in the UK. They would not report it as a crime either. There are so many false mobile phone theft claims reported To Police to get insurance refund as lost phones are not recovered. It's got so bad that many Forces make the victim sign a declaration that that it was defiantly stolen as opposed to lost and the consequences of a false allegation is prosecution.

Definitely wink

And that declaration is something the Met have done for a while.
However, if you have lost something valuable the police should give you a lost property reference number which you can quote to your insurance company.
latest report
Quote:

His response? To snatch it in complete silence and just get off the bus

What a complete tool!
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
Never even got a thanks from the owner though
Bit like when disembarking a transfer coach I tapped the man in front on the shoulder and handed him the wallet (bulging with euros) that he'd just left on the bus seat.

His response? To snatch it in complete silence and just get off the bus Confused .

Made me wish I'd kept it.

Exactly the same happened to me in a nightclub once but the worst case of it Ive heard of is when I worked at a supermarket and one of the women who worked there found a carrier bag with about £20,000 in 10 and 20 notes. She handed it in to the police who tracked down the owner as this little old lady who thought shed lost about £2,000. This old dear refused to even say thankyou to the women who found it let alone give any kind of reward.
snow conditions
She sounds like a right donkey... or should that be mule???
latest report
dode, To be fair she sounds like a frightened, confused old lady.
snow report
holidayloverxx, +1
snow conditions
Dont think she was frightened in anyway (other than scared of using a bank) the police chatted to her for hours though explaining that she really should give a reward as the person who handed it in was so honest and could have just kept it all, but this old woman flat out refused to even give her a tenner or speak tpo her on the phone to even say thankyou, even though the cash was actually £18000 more than she thought shed had in the first place.
snow report
medlington, IMHO that indicates she is frightened of something, as many old people are - irrational as it seems
ski holidays
Last year on our first family ski holiday my eldest son broke his arm in the first 45 mins of lesson 1. So the next day we did a cable car trip with him before going to our ski lesson. He brought along a rucksack with Nintendo DS, iPod, lots of games, etc etc to amuse himself while we skiied. When it came to my husband's turn to carry the rucksack he left it on a cable car Shocked

We spent the rest of the week visiting the lift company lost property office & the police, who also refused to file any sort of report without all the receipts! (Er, sorry, forgot to bring them all away with me!)

Luckily our insurance was very very good & we were reimbursed with new models of everything & allowed to choose alternative games when they couldn't replace older ones. What with that & the medical claim we got our money's worth wink
snow conditions
As someone with elderly parents, one with Alzheimers, I can quite understand that old Lady's behaviour and imagine she would have been as shocked as most here if that behaviour was described to her twenty years ago.

With regards to the lost jacket, there possibly might be a little bit of a lack of sympathy in Val Thorens (and other places I am sure) with student groups. The group here at the moment are fairly well behaved, and charming people in the main, but they do create a racket and mess late at night - or early Morning, a lot tend to get hammered even before they go out and of course they don't spend a huge amount in the village. Not fair of course but you do get the impression that many of the traders aren't that keen on university groups.

I imagine the Gendarmes see a fair amount of drink related careless crime resulting from young people being out and about. Not fair but probably one reason why they weren't keen to treat it seriously.
latest report
sad facts of life here.....wish i hadn't read this thread as I now want to jump out the nearest window
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, my comment was purely meant in jest, I apologise if it offended you
emwmarine, my elderly father also has advanced Alzheimer's, it's quite a jump to assume this lady also has on the information supplied. Howard Marks could be described as an old man nowadays!
latest report
dode, It didn't offend me. dementia club here too
snow report
dode wrote:
holidayloverxx, my comment was purely meant in jest, I apologise if it offended you
emwmarine, my elderly father also has advanced Alzheimer's, it's quite a jump to assume this lady also has on the information supplied. Howard Marks could be described as an old man nowadays!

I agree - but carrying large amounts of money about is quite a common dementia behaviour. Unusual behaviours around money are, in my own experience with parents, common with the elderly generally.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will the insurance company accept a report from the rep instead? Some will, if the rep has accompanied them to the police.
latest report
Thanks for the heads up, will be taking an old fleece for going out in the evening, but it's a bit depressing to have to do this.

In my experience Jackets dissappear for one of three reasons - 1) Contents, especially lift pass, early on in the week. 2) It's a really nice jacket 3) incompetence - it's a jacket similar to their own. I've lost one jacket plus caught people exiting with my jacket 3 times in the last 5 years.

Nowadays, if I do go out with my ski jacket on I remove all the stuff from the pockets, and in the bar I put it on a peg as far from the entrance as possible, and preferably in eyesight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy