Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mitts better than gloves??

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure I've read a post on here stating Mitts tend to be warmer then gloves, I bought a pair of Hestra gloves for my last ski holiday in Claviere, and to be honest at certain times my hands - finger ends in particular - were freezing.

Now I may have been being soft - on my previous 4 ski hols the weather has been blue skies and sun for a full week, cold hands not a problem, using much cheaper gloves. In Claviere though it was low cloud/fog and damp air. I expect this would have made a difference and made my hands colder, in particular on lifts, but also sometimes even when skiing.

Would buying mitts be a good idea, or should i just man up??

thanks for any advice
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have mittens, they are loads warmer than gloves and very comfy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've already got gloves; try some inner gloves with them. Dead cheap and make a pretty big difference
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got Hestras and I'm very happy with them, they're great gloves but I don't suffer from cold hands. With the standard liners in them I don't think they are particularly warm. You can pick up some cheap silk inners on Amazon,. Some of them get very good write-ups - look for the reviews of Hestra gloves. I'm sure that's where I first spotted them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

If you've already got gloves; try some inner gloves with them. Dead cheap and make a pretty big difference

Agreed, I use these inside my gloves and really notice the difference http://www.manbi.com/product/mens-thermal-inner-glove
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mitts !! ...
are your gloves tight ? .. should have good space between finger tips and end of glove etc ...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Most of the time I'm happy in my Hestra ski cross gloves, for cold, high altitude days in L2A last Feb I got some Hestra 3 fingers which did a great job.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A good compromise is a 3-finger glove.

http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/alpine-pro/heli-3-finger/

Warmth of a mitt, but with some of the dexterity of a glove.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You could try tea-bag style hand warmers too, rather than buy new expensive gloves. But yes, mitts are definitely warmer, other things being equal.

A friend clearing out her ski stuff gave me some Hestra mitts at the end of last season because she didn't find them warm enough.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've had a similar problem, but found silk liners helped somewhat.

Tight gloves wont help either as someone above has pointed out.

I've met guides who cap each finger with some duct tape to provide further protection.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Marmot and Salewa offer convertible gloves (fingerless gloves convertible to mitts) -

http://www.amazon.com/Marmot-Windstopper-Convertible-Glove-Black/dp/B003WOSS28?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://hestragloves.com/en/gloves/alpine-pro/seth-morrison-3-finger-pro/020830/ are my 3 fingers and they are great
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WOW, thanks everyone for your helpful replies.

from what you've said, perhaps my gloves may be a little too small, I do have small hands and so got small size gloves thinking a snug fit would be better!!
I'll definitely try the silk liner gloves a go and see what difference these make, i have 2 month until we go so will use our impending winter of doom as a guide.
I've seen the 3 finger mitts, don't like the look of them but the important thing is how they perform, looks aren't eveything - you should see my face....

I'll have a good look at the links when I get chance, I'm in work but boss Hogg goes home in half an hour!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
howster, mitts with fleece fingers insider for me
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
howster, Totally agree about the look of the 3 fingers (my kids call them my lobster claws) but they just work!
latest report
Or something like Mountain Equipment tuffmitts, a goretex overmitt which can really keep you toasty.
latest report
Sticking some warmer layers on in worse weather would also help.
ski holidays
Mitts are the only way to go. Just look at gloves and how they're constructed and you can see mitts are always going to be warmer.

Get big ones so there's room inside for other stuff (tea bag hand warmers or inner gloves, useful for photographers for example). Removable liners are ok but not essential.

I'm unconvinced by three-finger jobs or any other fancy stuff - simple is good, taped Goretex is best.

Leather is a mixed blessing - good for grip, bad because you have to soap it up every so often.

I have some of these which have lasted a couple of hard seasons and my fingers are always toasty:
http://www.thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/himalayan-mitts/p68313.html
If you're a photographer you need mitts anyway because they're faster on/ off, and the warmth really helps to get your fingers back working if you've had to shoot in really cold temperatures.
ski holidays
I´ve got Leki goretex s-clip gloves adn they are very warm.

I´ve also got POW goretex mittens with liner gloves. Never need the mittens.
ski holidays
philwig, Once at the start of winter and once at the end is all the treatment my leather gloves get, takes about 5 min. Have you tried 3 fingers? What don't you like about them?
ski holidays
I have BD Soloist gloves and they are very warm, I also have Hestra mittens and only used them once, in February 2012 when we had -25C on slopes.
snow conditions
If you're getting cold fingers it's probably more to do with your core temperature than what you're wearing on your hands, as your body will cut the the circulation to your extremities if your core starts to chill in order to keep your vital organs functioning. Try putting on some extra layers - I find a down gilet is good when it's really cold - before shelling out on new mitts or fancy gloves.
latest report
Definitely mitts. With some thin liner gloves, so you can take the mitts off if you need a bit more dexterity e.g. Adjusting toggles on jacket.
snow report
wotnowalshy, That is one of the things 3 fingers are good for, the extra dexterity they give means you can keep them on for jacket adjustments and the like.
ski holidays
I loved my Hestras ... but only because they look so good...
They are a very cool looking glove .. in fact they are more than cool ... they are bloody freezing. (Especially in Canada!)

If you want to look good in Hestras .. make sure you have a size big enough to get an under glove on inside them.
snow conditions
Could jsut be that you need to wear more layers on your core too. The hands/feet will always be the first bits to feel cold, even if they're not the least protected bit.
ski holidays
Been posted before but I found these much warmer than my Hestras, plus the pile lining works when wet.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/head_hands_+_feet/hands/randonee_glove---303/
latest report
http://hestragloves.com/en-ca/gloves/alpine/hestra-heater/

next link will be for handbags.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cannot go wrong with these and they have them at a reasonable price:

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN20280&product=Black%20Diamond%A0Guide%20Lobster

Ask anyone who wears these, don't think you'll find anyone unhappy with them

Also get your core super toasty, helps massively keeping blood flowing freely to your extremities.

Also consider some wrist gaiters (Marmot make some decent and cheap ones) as the blood cools quickest passing through your wrists as it is closest to the skin at that point.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Marmot-Stretch-Wrist-Gaiter.html
snow conditions
I have the Hestra 3 fingers....they are not really 3 fingers as the liner is a regular five finger glove. With their paper thin shell and the thinnish fleece liner I find them useless in cold weather. I love my Marmot Expedition mitts...I am on my 2nd pair now.
snow conditions
everyone, thanks very much for taking the time to reply, very very useful!!!

I'm definitely going to go for mitts, not sure which just yet, but thats the way to go for me.

As for my core temp, I'd also been thinking about this recently, i don't think my mid or base layers are up to the job, plus i've had them a few years.

Advice on base/mid layers was going to be my next question, but think I'd better start another post with that one.

many thanks again Very Happy
ski holidays
snowman, Not on my Hestra 3 fingers, which model has a glove lining?
ski holidays
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
Or something like Mountain Equipment tuffmitts, a goretex overmitt which can really keep you toasty.

This is what I do. Breathable inner glove under insulated gore tex mitt. When warm, you can stow the mitts. When cold, put them over the gloves. Latter is very warm indeed! Setup breathes well too, preventing clammy hands. And my inners have that conductive finger pad for touch screens - very fast to get a mitt off to answer the phone, use the GPS, take a photo etc. inners were 10 quid from surfdome.com, so not even expensive. Mitts were about 30 quid from memory - Dakines bought off season. Got two pairs of each for the price of one set of Hestras, which, like Oakleys, never really go on meaningful sale. I shall use my ancient Hestras for driving my freezing cold car in the mornings.

Before this I had years of cold hands due to mistakenly thinking gloves needed to be a snug fit. Also, as others have doubtless said, keep your core warm to keep blood flowing to your fingers!
ski holidays
howster wrote:
everyone, thanks very much for taking the time to reply, very very useful!!!

I'm definitely going to go for mitts, not sure which just yet, but thats the way to go for me.

As for my core temp, I'd also been thinking about this recently, i don't think my mid or base layers are up to the job, plus i've had them a few years.

Advice on base/mid layers was going to be my next question, but think I'd better start another post with that one.

many thanks again Very Happy

Also consider a fleece gilet/bodywarmer. I find that can make a significant difference to core temp, but with another full layer on, my arms get a bit bulky and retrictive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy