Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isère or Tignes Late April2014…... Any Advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi There are 4 of us looking to go to the L'Espace Killy late April 2014 I was thinking of staying at Val Claret but now seen accommodation in Val d'Isere looks ace!! Any advantages or disadvantages of either!! If we stay at Tignes will we need the full area pass or get away with just Tignes area. PS any good supermarkets on route from geneva!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val d'Isere is an attractive town, Val Claret is Harlow New Town on the slopes. You pays your money & takes your choice. No choice for me because my friends only want to stay in Val d'Isere.

Val d'Isere is more central for the EK (Val + Tignes) ski area. The Le Fornet area, which is one of the two glacier areas in EK, is a long way from Tignes. This may be very relevant in late April.

My personal favourite area in EK is around Aiguille Percee, which is closer to Tignes. Tignes is likely to have better resort-level snow in late April.

I'd always get an EK pass. You don't save much restricting yourself to one resort anyway.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 17-12-13 18:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well who knows what late season will bring (also define late). The Espace Killy is open until 4 May. By staying in Val Claret or le Lac you are increasing your chances of an easy ski home - by that time of the year it can be a bit of a trial getting to Val. I would certainly wait until the week before you travel to decide on the Pass. Val and Tignes are different types of resorts and suit differing clienteles - on the whole Tignes offers more value for money (this point is likely to cause a debate to which there is no answer- the resorts are just different.) You could also delay your accom bookings as there will be plenty of availability after Easter. Tignes often combine late accom bookings with lift deals. There are loads of supermarkets on the way from GVA - LIDL and SuperU in Bourg St Maurice will more than cater for what you want and save you a significant amount compared with the shops up here.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dogwatch, So La Daille is exactly where in terms of architecture - Milton Keynes? - oh and those hideous concrete blocks to the east of the main street!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
True, La Daille is the less attractive end of town. Actually the architecture of Tignes doesn't bother me but it is a factor for some people.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd go for Tignes it's nearer the Grande Motte which is the bigger of the two glacier areas and is a bit more snow sure for the end of the season.

And if it does snow there's good lift served stuff near by.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dogwatch, That's why I bought an apartment - so I can look up the mountains and not see the architecture. But Val has a much prettier church - quite what the designer was on when he created our 'brutalist beton' place of worship is beyond me Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dog watch....u been to Harlow ???? I d be the bin cupboards in tignes are nicer than the bulk of Harlow!!!! Lol
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thx…i'm really confused now!! Chocks late meaning late the last week in april 26th. I understand what your saying about booking late but we just want to get things sorted now thats all . Ive got a late deal with ski pass £350 each which I though was good value!! Just need to decide where to go. Will we be able to ski back to Val d'Isere you think then? is there any other options we should consider??
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter999 wrote:
thx…i'm really confused now!! Chocks late meaning late the last week in april 26th. I understand what your saying about booking late but we just want to get things sorted now thats all . Ive got a late deal with ski pass £350 each which I though was good value!! Just need to decide where to go. Will we be able to ski back to Val d'Isere you think then? is there any other options we should consider??
That sounds like a reasonable deal given the price of lift passes (252 for an EK, 202 if its Tignes only) - the accom might be a bit basic. At that time of year you can normally ski back to Val - but it is generally slushy after lunch and very hard early morning. From Val Claret you have direct access to the Grand Motte so there will definitely be good skiing. Also as Tignes has a slightly longer season (with many - perhaps inappropriately named - Happy Endings events) there is generally a bit more going on than in Val as bars and restaurants close for the season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
"Will we be able to ski back to Val d'Isere you think then?"

Probably. Will it be soft and nasty at village level? Probably. You don't say how much skiing you have done but quite a few early intermediates prefer to take the lift down anyway (and terrified family parties who have ignored this advice are a common sight). There are no easy runs back to Val d'Isere (no matter what it says on the piste map).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter999, if being able to ski down is vital to you and your party then you are probably better off in Tignes. Unless you are not only very good skiers but also happy to be closely accompanied on a difficult home run by lots of people who aren't. Tignes archicture gets slagged off but I do find it strange that Val D'Isere is sometimes described in terms which would be more appropriate to a proper traditional (ie not up way above the tree line and composed almost entirely of high rise buildings) village.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
The Le Fornet area, which is one of the two glacier areas in EK, is a long way from Tignes. This may be very relevant in late April
It won't - or at least hasn't been for me when skiing there every May Day weekend since 2007.

Based on my experience:

- At least 50% of Espace Killy will be open until the season end (ie Espace Killy season) in early May.
- An Espace Killy pass will double your enjoyment.
- Tignes stays open a week longer than Val d'Isere - usually until around the 10th or 11th of May.
- (As mentioned above) runs down to Tignes are more snowsure (and therefore more likely to be in better nick) than the runs to Val D'Isere. There are only three routes down to Val D'Isere. Of these: The black Face run is good fun in spring snow but can be hard work in knee deep slush and bumps; the Santons gully run may be open but, more often than not, has been closed on our late season visits; a run or two will be open to La Daille - even if they have to farm snow so that (at the bottom)you are skiing a strip of snow through a grassy meadow.
- Le Fornet (ie the glacier above Val D) is indeed a fairly long way from Tignes - but can be reached in five (fast) lifts from Val Claret. Queues are not an issue in late season.
- There's a fair chance of powder at altititude - even in late April.

Quote:
Any good supermarkets on route from Geneva
As well as Super U at Bourg St Maurice, there's another one right next door whose name escapes me. Alternatively, there's a huge supermarket (called Geant) at Albertville - it's just off the motorway.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

As well as Super U at Bourg St Maurice, there's another one right next door whose name escapes me.

Intermarche
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You lot are amazing!! Thx think I'm leaning towards Tignes!! Yeah its not crucial that we ski back down well not for me any case!! Im a reasonable skier I like to think but going with someone who's only done 5 days maybe an issue, also a couple of boarders who haven't done loads!! Just wanted to make sure we weren't committed to ski down thats all. Its usually me that wants to ski down but being honest like the rest of us don't really enjoy skiing in deep slush…..Its hard work and why spoil a good day.
ski holidays
Peter999 wrote:
don't really enjoy skiing in deep slush…..Its hard work and why spoil a good day.

When you hire your skis ask for 'all mountain' skis.
ski holidays
Peter999 - It's likely to be fantastic snow cover with hopefully at least a bit of warm, sunny weather - you could well be converted to late season skiing for life Very Happy.
snow report
suncream Embarassed
snow report
Yeah good thinking forgot about the suncream!! Got own skis so no problem there but thanks!! What makes me laugh is one of the boarders has only skied Borrovets in Bulgaria and he thinks thats great!!!! What a shock he's got!!
snow report
Peter999,

For your shopping theres also a very large Carrefour in Moutiers.
ski holidays
Quote:
one of the boarders has only skied Borrovets in Bulgaria and he thinks thats great
Maybe he's just like many a Snowhead? ie irrespective of location:

Snow + side of mountain = Good time wink

I love Tignes but have also had fantastic days out at tiny areas with rope tows Very Happy .
ski holidays
Peter999, I was there in that week this year. Stayed in Tignes les Boisses, which is more or less the same altitude as Val D'Isere, and had no issues whatsoever with snow cover. As you would expect it was a bit heavy in the afternoons but still very enjoyable. I would agree with those who advocate Val Claret over Val d'Isere though and for more or less the same reasons. Proximity to the Grande Motte and far superior home runs. As for the architecture - (1) Who cares anyway? and (2) In my opinion there is very little to choose between them.
snow report
Hi Can any one answer this one!! Where a bouts is les Brevieres within the Tignes area? Any ideas as to its height? Will we be able to get to and from the main area ok?? Any ideas Please!!
ski holidays
Peter999, Les Brevieres is the lowest point of the Espace Killy at 1550 metres. No problem getting out to the rest of the area while the lifts are running. The Sache bubble takes you up to the Marais Plateau and from there it's one more lift till you can ski down into the centre of Tignes le Lac. After hours though Brevieres isn't on the route of the free buses that connect the other Tignes villages so you are pretty much confined to camp till morning - unless of course you can drive out or take a taxi.
latest report
We will have a car but I'm concerned about getting stranded in the afternoon on the way home!! Can we drive up and park? Is it free to park or do you have to pay? As I assume that April 26th!! it won't be possible to ski down just wondering about the lift back?? Any ideas?
snow conditions
If Les Brevieres is where your accommodation in Tignes will be it counters every positive point that has been made for Tignes so far, therefore in this instance I'd choose Val d'Isere!
Les Brevieres is very isolated from the rest of Tignes and is very low down in comparison. It will also be quicker to get to the Grande Motte glacier from Val than Les Brevieres and there will be some skiing involved in your journey!
snow report
Peter999, I would agree with FastCarver74, that Brev would't be my first choice. You can drive up to Le Lac and there is plenty of parking although it will cost you. I think you get a couple of hours free but after that you pay the daily rate. On the other hand the chances are you would be able to ski down, but the last section might be a bit like water skiing. I too would take Val d"Isere rather than Brevieres at that time of the season. Still think Val Claret is the best bet though.
snow conditions
Peter999, there's a bus service that covers Les Brevieres. Chill wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc, Are you sure? It certainly isn't one of the free shuttles that cover the other villages. http://www.tignes.net/en/practical-info/getting-around-tignes-678.html
latest report
Just a point of view...
Les Brevieres compared with not going skiing - Les Brevieres wins hands down, I doubt that is a controversial opinion.
You will have better assured late-season slope access from Val d'Isere or the higher points of Tiggers, like Val Claret, you will enjoy that undoubtedly.
However, if you get such a brill deal for something in Les Brevs taking it would be a good idea regardless of conditions. At worst, there is a decent bubble lift (as previously mentioned). Occasionally in somewhere like La Tania late season conditions meant walking to bubble (flat, easy), taking bubble up, End of day, skiing stops at the top of the bubble and you get that down. Door-to-door purists might twitch, but having done that sort of thing I know it works. And Les Brevs is a nice little village. At least 3 nice restaurants. I doubt the night life is up to much, that sort of thing doesn't bother me nowadays! wink
ski holidays
Peter999, I'd opt for one of your original options of either Val Claret or Val d'Isere rather than Les Brevieres as well. I wouldn't be too confident of there being enough snow left to ski all the way down to Les Brevieres in late April (there certainly wasn't when I went in the first week of April a few years ago).

There definitely isn't a navette (free ski bus) to and from Les Brevieres from the rest of Tignes, and for relative beginners it will be a bit of a slog from there to get to the higher slopes elsewhere in the Espace Killy, as it's slightly out on a limb at the far end of the resort.
snow report
Don't forget that pedestrians can travel for free between Brevieres and Les Boisses via the Brevieres chairlift
snow report
When I stayed in Les Boisses in March this year, the whole of that side of the mountain, including both gondolas, was shut for the best part of a morning on a couple of days while they avi-blasted the slopes. On other mornings, the gondolas were late opening due to heavy snow. Luckily we had the option of the navette up to Le Lac. If we'd been solely reliant on the lifts to get us up there, we would have lost a lot of skiing time.

I don't think I'd consider staying in Les Brevieres unless there was a minibus lift up to the slopes offered with the accommodation, as if there's any problem with the lifts, you're stuck...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy