Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pretty Faces - All Female Ski & Adventure Sports Film

Poster: A snowHead
I've only backed a few things on Kickstarter and this is only the second skiing related doodad (the first was the CAST guys).

Pretty Faces is a film project by Lyndsey Dyer to make an all female ski/snowboard movie. Sadly they didn't get enough/any industry support so are trying to crowdfund the effort. There's a high calibre of people involved and it seems like a worthy project for support.

They explain it much better than I do on the page:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/188962949/pretty-faces-all-female-ski-and-adventure-sports-f

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 17-12-13 10:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm pretty surprised they didn't get the money to make it, I've heard about it for a while and thought it was going ahead, there has been a similar idea already in Europe, just called Girls Ski Movie I think but no idea how successful it was, I watched it and thought it was pretty cool.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Will it be as good as 'Chalet Girl'?

Anyone know what the business model is for films like these? Unless you have rich sponsors to fund the whole thing as a marketing exercise I struggle to see how this is a viable business model. I'm not saying they shouldn't make the film, but as an investment .......... I'm [probably] out. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Will it be as good as 'Chalet Girl'?

Nice. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm as politically incorrect as the next man, but isn't an all-girl movie that is called 'Pretty Faces' just a teeny bit patronising and not really helping to fulfil the stated aim of trying to show women are just as much of the mountain scene as men?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
but as an investment .......... I'm [probably] out. Very Happy

Like most Kickstarter projects, this isn't an opportunity to inject equity upon which you can anticipate an investment return; it's an opportunity to give people cash - in exchange for dubious benefits and a nice warm glow.

No idea why anybody would bother with anything like this. /grumpyoldman
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Like most Kickstarter projects, this isn't an opportunity to inject equity upon which you can anticipate an investment return; it's an opportunity to give people cash - in exchange for dubious benefits and a nice warm glow.

Hmmmmm, I understand it now, but I'm still out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu, the names explained on the page. It's an investment in that you get the gifts laid out as enticements which usually include the final product and the risk you carry is the project not being completed. AFAIK making ski films is not a route to getting rich but most money is made on the films tour. If you look at the higher tiers they are offering sponsorship of the film as the reward.

James the Last, with most Kickstarter projects it's an opportunity to help make something happen that otherwise wouldn't.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
meh wrote:
foxtrotzulu, the names explained on the page. It's an investment in that you get the gifts laid out as enticements which usually include the final product and the risk you carry is the project not being completed. AFAIK making ski films is not a route to getting rich but most money is made on the films tour. If you look at the higher tiers they are offering sponsorship of the film as the reward.

James the Last, with most Kickstarter projects it's an opportunity to help make something happen that otherwise wouldn't.

Spot on, it's:

James the Last wrote:
an opportunity to give people cash - in exchange for dubious benefits and a nice warm glow,

not an investment.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The film concept is explained well and I like it. I agree that anything that encourages girls to keep taking sport seriously through their teens is A GOOD THING. I have a nine-year old daughter and my observation of firends' teenage girls is that those that are still into sport tend to suffer much less from body image/ eating disorders/ obsession with celebrity nonsense. My daughter is developing a real love of skiing and is VERY pleased that she can ski to the level of her older brother and his mates. I'd like her to see this film. I just made a contribution.

That said, I HATE the name and agree with foxtrotzulu. I do understand it's a pun on mountain faces but still... I just don't think it works as a way of challenging the idea that women need to be defined by their prettiness.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jedster wrote:
That said, I HATE the name and agree with foxtrotzulu. I do understand it's a pun on mountain faces but still... I just don't think it works as a way of challenging the idea that women need to be defined by their prettiness.

Pretty much my first reaction to it but I can see the appeal in this angle if getting funding is an issue.

Almost as disappointing as seeing this from Victoria Pendleton:
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Almost as disappointing as seeing this from Victoria Pendleton:

and seeing Rebecca Adlington appear on 'I'm a Celebrity' was just soul destroying. I'm not criticising her because I'm sure she needs the cash, but Dear God how are the mighty fallen.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
can't see what the problem with that Pendleton picture is Puzzled
promotes cycling as something cool/glamourous rather than just for lycra clad sports people. nothing wrong with that in my book
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
can't see what the problem with that Pendleton picture is Puzzled
promotes cycling as something cool/glamourous rather than just for lycra clad sports people. nothing wrong with that in my book

An elite athlete turned into a frilly 1950s inspired women feels ridiculous. She could have inspired girls and women to take up sport showing they did not need to trade their femininity for it - along the lines of Nike’s “strong is the new beautiful” etc.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
narc, maybe she is doing that with the more sporty Pendleton models (don't know - haven't looked) - but here I think the message is very much promoting cycling as a form of transport rather than a sport, which i think is a good message
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
narc, maybe she is doing that with the more sporty Pendleton models (don't know - haven't looked) - but here I think the message is very much promoting cycling as a form of transport rather than a sport, which i think is a good message

Agreed, that's one of the problems with cycling in the UK, it's only seen as a sport, that is a wee bit dangerous and you need special equipment to take part in. In many European countries cycling is just another means of transport and you will see everyone cycling about in their normal clothes or all dressed up for a night out.
snow conditions
Is it not a pun, as in mountain faces?

Edit - sorry, dealt with above
snow report
I would love to be the seat on Victoria Pendleton's bike.
ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo, She also said she'd like to sit on you... or did I mishear Wink
snow report
I guess it is a pun on mountain faces, although possibly a rather too subtle one. I certainly didn't get it until someone pointed it out.
snow report
Quote:

In many European countries cycling is just another means of transport and you will see everyone cycling about in their normal clothes or all dressed up for a night out.

But in the UK, you then cycle though a puddle, get drizzled on, sworn at by cars as you're holding them up and then cut up by a bus, decide it's not worth it and get back in your car.
snow report
Quote:
But in the UK, you then cycle though a puddle, get drizzled on, sworn at by cars as you're holding them up and then cut up by a bus, decide it's not worth it and get back in your car.

It rains quite a lot in holland as well
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I guess it is a pun on mountain faces, although possibly a rather too subtle one. I certainly didn't get it until someone pointed it out.

If you look through the Kickstarter page they explain it is a double-entendre in the FAQ
snow report
Flet©h wrote:
Quote:

It rains quite a lot in holland as well

and Munich
ski holidays
davkt wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:

If you look through the Kickstarter page they explain it is a double-entendre in the FAQ

That is pretty weak. I think they need to rework the idea a bit. I'm ooot.
snow report
Not as bad as all the Dragons Den impressions mind you. Toofy Grin
snow report
I'm looking for funding for a new ski movie, Small Faces. It is a concept film featuring the remaining members of a 60s psychedelic rock band and their road trip to ski the mountains of North Wales while under the influence of mind changing narcotics.
latest report
Quote:

I'm looking for funding for a new ski movie, Small Faces

I'm in!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They passed their funding goal today! snowHead
snow conditions
Gosh, that was quick... they were still at least $5k behind a couple of hours ago!
snow conditions
I noticed the 10k corporate funding packages have all gone, I suspect they got a few big backers.
snow report
feef, GoPro was one.

One of the nice things about Kickstarter is that it proves to the money guys that a market does actually exist. Kickstarter projects were pretty much responsible for rejuvenating a couple of genres that games publishers would tell you weren't worth anything.
snow report
meh, I saw their post about GoPro.. It's a valid point. If a few hundred folk are willing to back it, then there's likely to be an order of magnitude more who would watch or buy the end product.
snow report
Am glad to see they've surpassed it! Hopefully they can produce something a lot better than the past all-female ski movies which have been, in my opinion, pretty poor.
snow conditions
Timmaah, have you seen Shades of Winter? I was wondering if it was any good or not?
latest report
meh, I really didn't like it. The last segment of the film was the best, and it had some nice steep Alaskan lines but the rest is just.. meh. They definitely had a noticeable budget and the filming is great but the talking they do is cringeworthy at times, and the skiing is pretty average for the most part. That said, the park segment was good too but I felt pretty underwhelmed by it until the last 5 minutes.
snow report
Timmaah wrote:
meh, I really didn't like it. The last segment of the film was the best, and it had some nice steep Alaskan lines but the rest is just.. meh. They definitely had a noticeable budget and the filming is great but the talking they do is cringeworthy at times, and the skiing is pretty average for the most part. That said, the park segment was good too but I felt pretty underwhelmed by it until the last 5 minutes.

Just watched the trailer for that, tbh I find a lot of the talking on ski movies cringeworthy, I have no idea why they seem to be positioning skiing as some philosophical lifestyle. Was the park section of Shades of Winter from 9 Queens, it looked like it from the trailer? I watched the highlights from 9 Queens and was pretty impressed, the fluidity of the girls has really come on in the last few years and they are starting to look effortless on some of the bigger tricks, the winners are all so young now as well so the standard should keep increasing

http://youtube.com/v/6mT2Kv-SVuU
snow report
lynseyf, yeah it's from 9 Queens. I find the pontificating a bit much as well particularly as it's usually very badly done.
snow conditions
Support for this film seems to have really snowballed (ha) since the new year, they now have $100k+ with loads of the big money deals gone, looks like it's getting made and with a decent budget, looking forward to seeing it in the autumn Smile
snow conditions
Finished at $113,534 which is pretty close to double the goal which is awesome!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy