Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DWR treatment... anyone clued up?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I realise this is rather nerdy, but would really appreciate some DWR advice as my Goretex pro jacket has begun to wet out Sad

I've recently washed it with Granger's 2-in-1 (cleaner & waterproofer) which has not solved the problem as I'd hoped! I've also since discovered that the wash-in method of reproofing can inhibit breathability and therefore I am now thinking of going down the spray-on route!

Therefore..... Does anyone have a good DWR info resource? Or could help me with some of the following info?

- I understand that there are a few different types of DWR, (silicone based, fluoropolymer based and nikwax) with some of these not being compatible..... which means that if my jacket has been fluoro coated in factory then it would be counter-productive for me to treat it with silicone this time??

- Is goretex pro treated with DWR by goretex as a pure material or would the DWR be applied by the garment manufacturer? (wondering if best to contact goretex or mountain-equipment with regards to my DWR query)?

- Has anyone tried reviveX with goretex pro?? it seems to come highly recommended....

Many thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have you tried tumble drying the jacket... Most DWR coating will reactivate a few time just doing that.

On a low setting!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah Grangers has to be heat activated for the water repelency to kick in. Most stick it in the tumble dryer on a low setting and this usually does the trick. Others might just hang it over a radiator (again not in direct heat) which also works.

DWR, to the best of my knowledge, is applied by the garment manufacturer. Gore just supply the fabric, though they do recommend certain products "for best results" which I think for them is Nikwax.

I use wash-in all the time and never had any problems with breathability. Especially with Gore-tex as it has a protective membrane which prevents clogging of the pores.

The DWR is essentially a waxy finish on the fabric which repels the moisture. If the DWR is totally exhausted you will need to top it up several times to return to 'as new' condition. Do this by wash then spray on several coats, letting it dry in between. Give key areas an extra coat or two, such as on the shoulders, hip and back. As if your wearing a rucksack it will wear through the DWR very quickly. If the fabric is totally wetting out I'd suggest using Nikwax Tx-direct first as in my experience it sticks to fabric a lot better than Grangers which, as far as I know, sticks better to pre-existing DWR.Once you have successfully reproofed the garment pour some water over it and it should stay completely dry.

Lastly, when reproofing alway give the garment a good clean so any DWR will go straight onto the face fabric.

For step by step guides head or either Nikwax or Grangers website as they have some pretty clear instructions.

Hope that helps a bit.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I've given that a go.... It's had a few washes in its life time and although tumble drying reactivates it slightly, it's still no where near as good as it should be....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tomb, I have a retired Goretex XCR jacket that still more or less performs as expected except where it's physically damaged. It was bought in 2000.

~ 40 ski days/year

Typically washed once a year in Tech Wash and proofed with TX-direct wash in, tumble dried on warm/medium.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, Does water still bead on the surface? With my jacket the water just seems to soak-in Confused

Interestingly, it seems not all clothing manufacturers use the same quality of DWR treatment... some bad, some good!

I'm currently trying to decide between Atsko permanent water-guard and McNett ReviveX.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cammyammy, the issue with wash-in reproofers is that it coats the inside of the jacket... surely this would stop your sweat from exiting the jacket?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've always had good results with spray on proofing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tomb, yep. If it didn't actually have holes in key abrasion areas, I'd still be using it. 11 years of excellent service.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy