Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Holiday Companies and Late deal packages?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, Have recently immigrated to the UK from New Zealand to work and travel. Since winter now has arrived and not much to do I thought I would look into a ski trip to Europe.

Me and a couple of mates were looking to go around the 4th of January, for a week in Austria or possibly France. (Guess depending on snow conditions) As it will be our first trip skiing in Europe we will be looking for a resort with a bit of everything. And will probably prefer an apartment type set up with self catering.

Was wondering what are the top ski holiday companies for cheap travel and accommodation packages?

Also how do you find the deals for booking last minute? And are there any companies out there that offer good cheap last minute deals that are worth looking into?

I assume booking within around 1-2 weeks is considered late? And dose this have a very big effect the choice of resorts you can pick from?

Any info would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Downhill21, Booking within 1-2 days is considered late.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unlikely to get a deal if looking 1-2 weeks before the date, the only times I have made serious savings was booking Friday afternoon and then flying the next morning. You need to be really flexible about your requirements and it helps if you are a 'standard' size group and can get to any of the major airports, its also unlikely you will get ski carriage if its a busy flight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used to work for a TO in the French Alps so here's my tips:

Don't be overly fussy about which resort you want to go to.
Do some research now into prices, availability etc. Ian 4th is the cheapest time of the year so you may well see some good bargains now.
The main (big) tour operators are TUI (Thomson, Crystal, first Choice); Neilson; inghams/espirit/ski total; directski. But also have a look at iglu.com and ifyousku.com who are online travel agents.
Use high street travel agents, especially those attached to the big Tos.
And, most important: last minute means last minute ie the Thursday or Friday before Saturday travel. Especially using a travel agent, that's when the real bargains are to be had.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi,

We got a decent deal last year with Kwik Travel to Alp Dhuez. Booked about 2-3 days before we left, think we paid around £500 for a fully catered challet with flights and transfers included. Seem to remember the other people in the chalet had paid nearly double that

people recommended Iglu Ski but I found their website and app a complete waste of time, you end up searching for an apartment to fit your group and it shows that they all have 4 places say. Then when you click through its not for 4 people atall but some other random number and the price doesnt relate to what they're showing either. I wasted hours on there before giving up, I wont be going back on their site again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Downhill21, Have a look at

http://www.sno.co.uk/ski-deals/january-ski-deals/

http://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/ski-chalet-deals#search=1
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
2 adults and one child 5th Jan in the crystal 2000 in courchevel for 1099 sounds pretty good.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just booked with ski beat for the 4th Jan got some good deals
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info. Think we will wait to after Christmas before booking. Hopefully find somewhere good.

I have been looking at the main ski holiday sites Iglu, Crystal, Thomson, inghams. and have found a few issues while searching for places. Nearly all prices shown are for two share even thought when searching I enter in 3nr for guest staying. Also found hard to determine actual deals offered on trips, as a lot of sites have some huge discount % shown on trips and other sites don't, but all have around the same final prices.

Wondering if it better to go DIY instead. Or are the packages the cheapest/best way?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shed loads of great deals around now for 4 January. A half-price package for the cheapest week of the season is far cheaper than DIY - assuming you're happy with a catered chalet, which doesn't feel very 'foreign' and puts you in with others.

Suggest a call to Alpineanswers who are (IMO) *very* good as an agent who will be able to suggest you places for three guests.

http://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/

Waiting won't get you a trip for less than £300 including flights; not worth the operator's effort shipping you out there for less than that once they've paid for your food, drink, linen and airport taxes.

I should add, the big operators have become in the habit of trying to sell their excess weeks a couple of weeks before they happen. By the time the week happens, they're all sold out so waiting for further reductions often doesn't work.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Nearly all prices shown are for two share even thought when searching I enter in 3nr for guest staying.

that's always likely to be a problem with internet searches. It's very annoying. You might do better with a travel agent. Take no notice at all of "discounts" (as you have discovered, you need to look at the actual price to be paid).

Trying to compare TO deals is complicated by the "under-occupancy" charges (e.g. for 3 of you in an apartment which sleeps 4). Can you find another mate? And if you don't want to share a bed or bed-settee that's another complication.

If I were you I think I'd try to find another mate and then start ringing companies themselves, rather than relying on the internet, and maybe try to find a good local travel agent too.

There's a bit of a snow shortage throughout the Alps just now. That might look very different if there are good falls in the meantime, but be prepared to keep an eye on that, and possibly try to reschedule for later in January if it's all still looking a bit thin.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Those 'shed loads' will be from London. Last I looked prices had gone up from newcastle. Grrr
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

TO deals is complicated by the "under-occupancy" charges

If you booked late would you stand a reasonable chance of getting them to waive the under occupancy charge?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpine Answers currently have a cracking deal for 1st Jan. £799 catered chalet in Breckenridge flights included. It is for two, I think if you have a third you get charged £250-ish under occupancy - which I still didn't think was too bad considering the destination.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'll add my two cents.

Late deals about two years ago were right up to the day off travel, because tour operators would sell off any unsold holidays, new rules were introduced when package operators started to go bust.

The late deal optima point as it stands today is about 1 month before, that being said you may find a really good deal.

The websites are very frustrating and sometimes they will advertise a headline rate, to get you hooked in and that holiday is just not there, you have to persevere, good deals are there to be had for the most hearty of souls.

I have been going last minute for the last 8 years both summer and winter, and have not failed yet to get a great deal, play these companies off against each other, speak to a person if you can.

This year I've bagged a £ 225 H/B deal transfers and flight inc, from crystal.

Also if your not bothered where you go, THE BALL IS IN YOUR COURT.
snow report
I've done a few last minute bookings and should echo the poster above, I've noticed that prices tend to creep up again 4-3 weeks before departure.

Joe
snow conditions
See the Breckenridge one I mentioned above has gone from Alpine Answers website now.
ski holidays
Hi I can't comment on last min deals but I got a few quotes from travel agents this week looking at going first week in feb the cheapest were coming out at the £700 mark and that was to various resorts hotel and flights...So Ive gone for the DIY option I managed to get reasonable hotel with HB for 3 people for £1050 and then flights for £40 each to Sauze flying from Stansted on the 1st The only problem now is I found transfer to be really expensive so what I thought was a fairly good deal probably isnt. But still really looking forward to it none the less Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy