Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy: FR side or AT side?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Been to AT and FR many times, two trips are already planned to FR in 2014, the third may also be possible if things fall into places ... So been looking at IT as never skied there before. I read a lot of advice on here, but could not decide between two 'regions' of IT - bordering FR or AT.

The place should be relatively higher-up (ski-in/out preferably). Ski area size is not that important, I enjoy both small (Alpach, etc) and mega resorts. Convenient (short walking distances) and not scattered arround. Price is not that important, but if the choice exist, middle/reasonable range is best. Getting there- most probably self driving or flyiing to Milan or Torino. I am used to Tignes and Les Menuires, so resort 'beatifulness' is not that imporant, but mountain scenery is important.

On AT side been looking at Val Gardena. On FR side - not sure La Thulle most probably. All in all, convenience of accomodation (on slopes or close to lifts) is what would be my deciding factor. CH side advice is also welcome!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Austrian side - Dolomites.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've skied in Courmayeur, Cervinia, Bardonecchia, Pila, Sestriere and La Thuile anywhere between 1 and 3-4 days at each resort. They are all places that I would go back to (and probably will, as I like variety), but if I had a one-off choice between them and the Dolomites, it's an easy win for the Dolomites. You can't beat the mountain scenery there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dolomites. Simple.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've skied Gressoney, la Thuile (from la Rosiere) and the Dolomites. I haven't returned to la Thuile or Gressoney. I have returned to the Dolomites (4th time this January coming).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dolomites hard to beat for mountain scenery but there are stunning views of Mont Blanc in Courmayeur and the Matterhorn in Cervinia. The latter is better for hotels close to the lifts/slopes, but Courmayeur is a charming town and most hotels run minibus shuttles to the lifts. I would say La Thuile is probably the weakest for scenery, the village itself is small and reasonably pretty, but other than the steep tree runs at the bottom the rest of the ski area is fairly flat and featureless. Also, unless you stay in the soulless Planibel complex at the lift base station your accommodation is likely to be a good 15-20 min walk (or 5 min bus ride) away.

Plus points for Italy in general are the laid back atmosphere, excellent piste grooming and preparation, good value for money and fabulous food.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 Dolomites
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
well worth experimenting with Italy
I can't comment on the Dolomites althought the photos always look brilliant. Monte Rosa (Gressoney/Alagna/Champoluc) has great skiing and big mountains. Gressoney is the most convenient. Alagna more atmosperic.
Don't rule out Sestriere/Sauze D'Oulx - well known for great piste crusing but has excellent tree skiing too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If it helps I have always been a big fan of large French ski areas, 3 valleys, Espace Killy etc, and I LOVED the Dolomites after going there last year. I doubt they will disappoint Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just in case you are unsure here is another +1 for the Dolomites - simply the best IMHO and I do like the big French ski sheds too, but not quite as much snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok, one task for 2014 'to do' list , many thanks to all of you!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not to hijack the thread - but can someone recommend preferred resorts in the Dolomites? There are too many to choose from. Or just go with most interconnected resorts with largest terrain? Thanks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
andrePA, Depends on what you want. I like St Vigilio because:
Few British
Friendly locals
Good position for Kronplatz mountain but also on the right side of Kronplatz for getting into the main Dolomite area
I like the black runs Piculin (a lovely run, voted the best black 'abfahrt' - set off), Sylwester and Hernegg (both nice runs and steep enough for me but not too extreme)
I like the red runs Reid and Col Toron
I like the blue run Miara (a continuation of Col Toron) which I think is the best run anywhere for beginners
I like the Tyrolean culture and Austrian / Tirolean 'feel' of the place
Ladin food and Ladin culture provides a nice alternative
Good mountain huts / food / drink / scenery
Good prices
Good quality accommodation
Not too far to the Kron4 leisure centre

There are a lot of things that will be seen as disadvantages by others, but which don't bother me:
English is not too widely spoken
No big tour operators from UK
Leisure centre is a drive away, not a walk
Access to Sella Ronda and Hidden Valley etc is possible, but not too convenient (easier with a hire car)
Kronplatz itself is big enough for some, but others would think it limiting in its size
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks. We were previously considered Cervinia or Courmayor but now increasingly looking at Sella Ronda (Val Gardena vicinity).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Based on the latest forecasts, I would suggest the western side of Italy.

There's something special in the charts - 3 "retour d'est" in a row in the next 72 hours. Which means 1m50 - 2m50 of snow in the western and northwestern Italian alps.
Sestriere, La Thuile, Cervinia, Gressoney, Madesimo are going to get plastered. The further east you go, the less snow.

And the resorts on the northern flanks are first going to get massive amounts of rain up till 1500. And then foehn.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy