Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Comprehensive knee injury / equipment review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
For the more technically minded: Swiss review of ski / binding / boot technologies as they relate to prevalence of serious knee injury.

http://www.bfu.ch/de/suche?k=2.119

Click the green link on that page to download a long pdf.

One conclusion: ski boards (blades) are relatively safe even without release bindings! wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm. Interesting. Am skimming through (anything is better than defrosting my freezer). I wondered whether "optional" in the following extract on p 32 should read "optimal"? What do you think.

Quote:
the balance between the two failure modes appears to be near the optional point in relation to midshaft tibia fractures and the risk of inadvertent releases with subsequent injuries.

Non release skiboards break legs instead of knees. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK, finished skimming now. it seems that the incidence of ski injuries is lower, these days (though I didn't delve far enough to find out how this conclusion was reached). But knee injuries have not been reduced and are amongst the most likely. Other points which interested me:

1. Women are at 2 to 3 times greater risk than men of ACL injury

2. Older people have a slightly lower risk of ski injuries than the remaining population (though fractures of the tibial plateau are a problem)

3. Introduction of carving skis has not significantly affected the total volume of injuries but risk group has shifted from beginners to professionals. Beginners benefit from shorter and livelier carving skis, which simplify the use of edges and ski turns

4. Ski boards rigidly fixed to the boot can lead to overload of the bone but are much safer for knees

5. Reducing binding settings increases the risk of premature release but, especially for women who are not not aggressive skiers in situations where this would be specially dangerous, the increased risk of injury from pre-release is likely to be outweighed by the significant benefits for their knees

6. Knee injuries approximately five times more likely in alpine skiing than in snowboarding

7. The literature on the preventive use of knee braces is inconclusive.

8. A "high level of activity" in the hamstrings is likely to reduce the risk of injury to the knees

9. There is obviously many years of R & D and conferencing to be had in the development of smarter "mechatronic" bindings

I had already reached conclusion 5 for myself, based on unimpeachable empirical evidence.

Now for the freezer.... Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, good summary!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
OK, finished skimming now. it seems that the incidence of ski injuries is lower, these days (though I didn't delve far enough to find out how this conclusion was reached). But knee injuries have not been reduced and are amongst the most likely. Other points which interested me:
Nice summary
[i]1. Women are at 2 to 3 times greater risk than men of ACL injury
That applies to virtually all sports

2. Older people have a slightly lower risk of ski injuries than the remaining population (though fractures of the tibial plateau are a problem)

Tibial plateau a common injury, more common in older but definitely not exclusive( had two skiers returning to skiing on my Return to Ski Day recently)

3. Introduction of carving skis has not significantly affected the total volume of injuries but risk group has shifted from beginners to professionals. Beginners benefit from shorter and livelier carving skis, which simplify the use of edges and ski turns

34% of Pro skiers have rupture their ACL

4. Ski boards rigidly fixed to the boot can lead to overload of the bone but are much safer for knees

Wrists are the big problem in boarders , wear wrist guards!

5. Reducing binding settings increases the risk of premature release but, especially for women who are not not aggressive skiers in situations where this would be specially dangerous, the increased risk of injury from pre-release is likely to be outweighed by the significant benefits for their knees

Not sure i agree with that. ACL is very serious knee injury. I just dont subscribe to the " i would'nt want to loose a skii at the top of a couloir" Virtually all ACL ruptures occur at slow /modest speed on the piste - just how serious is a ski release in that situation? If easy release will put you at risk of significant injury such as when, off piste skiing then adjust the bindings according to the conditions. DIN setting isnt set in stone, it can very easily be varied according to the level of risk from falling and the level of aggression required to ski on any day. Take charge of your DIN settings!!

6. Knee injuries approximately five times more likely in alpine skiing than in snowboarding

At least if not more

7. The literature on the preventive use of knee braces is inconclusive.

Alot of the "research" is funded by the industry that make them

8. A "high level of activity" in the hamstrings is likely to reduce the risk of injury to the knees

And plyo metrics

9. There is obviously many years of R & D and conferencing to be had in the development of smarter "mechatronic" bindings

I had already reached conclusion 5 for myself, based on unimpeachable empirical evidence.

Now for the freezer.... Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonathan Bell, perhaps my summary of the bindings point wasn't very clear - the paper made the same argument as you are making - crank those bindings down! I have already come to this conclusion for myself and have several times been asked to sign disclaimers when insisting that ski techs set my bindings below the level their charts come up with. I can't remember the last time I lost a ski and wished I hadn't. It is my personal bugbear that lots of people who are just holiday kind of skiers in situations where losing a ski would not be disastrous (ie most of us) have their bindings FAR too tight.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, I agree. My bindings are now down to 3. I was sking more aggressively and faster than usual the other week...no pre release. I never fell over....fingers crossed they will release if I do....they dont go any lower!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, another for winding back the DIN. On alpine I keep things at 5 and I'm no lightweight Embarassed People have seen me ski and I think 'loony' covers most of it. Technique and fitness is what keeps you in your bindings. Yes there are places where you really don't want to lose a ski and you should adjust appropriately but fr general use I believe most people have their bindings set at leaste 1/3 higher than safe for them in the inbounds conditions they ski in. Those of you who 'play hard' must make your own determination.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The very little skiing I do off piste (and I'm doing Charlotte's course next month) is on terrain where the main danger is a twisting fall with the ski firmly held by the snow. Yes, OK, it's a pain if your ski shoots off and gets lost and it's exhausting getting them back on sometimes, but doesn't compare to the pain of smashing a ligament. And I do have a pair of the much-maligned powder traces. wink

Jonathan Bell's figure of the number of pro skiers who have had serious ligament injuries is sobering; is there any other sport where such a high rate of serious injury is accepted as perfectly normal?

My DINS are at 4 - maybe I should have them at 3 and see what happens? They flew off very easily in the crash that broke my pelvis - which healed a great deal quicker than a bust ACL, and much more cheaply, and with a lot less pain and effort of rehabilitation.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a system for DIN setting bindings that im happy to share send to anyone who wants it.

It sets bindings based on ability as well as boot size.

I would just post it but im not sure about breach of IP. If anyone wants it please email me/pm me with your email.

Jonathan Bell
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As far as I understand it bindings were never designed to prevent ACL injuries, they were designed to prevent bones breaking.

Jonathan Bell, do you consider running as pylometrics? How much running would you consider safe/healthy for a very fit 50 year old (70kg)?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Jonathan Bell's figure of the number of pro skiers who have had serious ligament injuries is sobering; is there any other sport where such a high rate of serious injury is accepted as perfectly normal?

I too find it amazing that there isn't more focus on a release device which helps protect the ACL; so many racers have torn these, that you would think by now its would be of financial benefit to develop. MY Oh said in a training run in val gardena two were wearing test inflatable air bags. This seems tricky t me as you could get injured anywhere in a crash and the bags could therefore aggrevate some injury. But if they think a quick release bag could help then why isn't there some quick release binding for twists, ie with a feedback mechanism so it only releases as required?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
While i do respect your position Jonathan,as someone who sells Donjoy 4titude braces,has had snapped ligaments and now had to have a total knee replacement,i feel if i had been wearing a brace when the first injury happened i could of saved myself a lot of pain.Isay this because when i snapped my ACL the movenment that caused it i am sure would have been protected.I know people will say i would say that,but its true.Dont dismiss bracing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy