Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book snowboard lessons through Crystal or independently

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have booked a holiday through Crystal to Val Thorens in January. I am now looking to book some intermediate lessons (I have been snowboarding for 2 weeks).

I am trying to decide whether to book through Crystal or whether to book independently with Prosneige.

The most important thing is to ensure I am in an intermediate group (not with complete beginners), and also I would prefer to be with other English speaking people if possible as I am going on my own and would be nice to meet others.

Is there any advantage to booking through Crystal? The price seems similar to independent. Would I be more likely to be with other English people(other people booked through Crystal) if booked with Crystal?

Also if I book through Crystal it doesn't let you choose a level/ability. I think this is sorted out on the first lesson or shortly before. Would they be able to ensure the level/ability lessons I want won't be full if it is not booked in advance?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ma4521, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Subject to comments from other people who know the ski schools, I'd be inclined to book independently with prosneige - but you'd need to ensure you know where and when the ski school meets, whereas Crystal would no doubt shove you in the right direction. On the other hand, you'd be more likely to be with people from Crystal if you go with Crystal. Maybe phone them, ask what ski school they use, what the hours are (if all that is not clear in the brochure) and how people are sorted into the right level. Their response might be reassuring - or not!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
go independent IMO
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jirac18 wrote:
go independent IMO

Thanks for your reply, I am leaning towards doing it Independently. What are your reasons for suggesting independently?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gives you the choice of which school to go with and which format of lessons (in terms of how many days, all day, Half a day, group, private). Also I have noticed that for things like ski hire and lessons they tend to be heavily marked up through a TO.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The advantages of booking through Crystal are:
1) If things don't go according to plan, you have more firepower on your side to get them sorted.
2) When swapping war stories in the bar in the evenings, there's a better chance somebody else from your Crystal group will be able to verify your 720 + headplant
I'm not advocating that option over any other, but you do ask what the advantages would be.
My recollection is that Crystal are one of the operators trying to move away from ESF over the whole guiding issue, so be interesting to know who they are planning to use in VT.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

so be interesting to know who they are planning to use in VT

yes it would. The OP says the prices are the same which suggests that either NickyJ is right (as ESF lessons are considerably cheaper, looking at their website) or that they have moved away from ESF.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

so be interesting to know who they are planning to use in VT

yes it would. The OP says the prices are the same which suggests that either NickyJ is right (as ESF lessons are considerably cheaper, looking at their website) or that they have moved away from ESF.

I haven't done any specific research my comment about prices is based on previous research with a few different TOs and is most definitely a generalisation. There are always exceptions.

I do pay for the kids skis lessons through TOs (with both Esprit and Mark Warner) as that way they take them to the lessons and it joins up with the child care. However for ourselves I would always go direct so that we have the flexibility.

Similarly I found Esprit ski hire prices worked out very poor value compared with direct - however Mark Warner sent through a deal which ended up in the same ballpark as doing it directly so we have booked through them this time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If the lessons through Crystal are with ESF, go independant. The ESF have no concept of snowboarding.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ma4521, we have used Prosneige in VT and were happy.
However, what snowdave says is valid and should enter into your consideration - skiing/boarding is at least partly about the social side Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ma4521 wrote:
jirac18 wrote:
go independent IMO

Thanks for your reply, I am leaning towards doing it Independently. What are your reasons for suggesting independently?

just think you get a better service, better value from independent schools rather than the generic big companies plus why put money in TO pocket when you will almost certainly get same lessons cheaper independently which is my experience from research and booking lessons for my family. I am a firm believer in personal recommendations of which there are plenty on SH's
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies everyone! I decided to ask Crystal which ski school they use and they said it's Prosneige.

They also said the level/ability is decided on the first lesson and you are then moved into the correct group. Although I'm still not sure what would happen if there was more intermediates then they were expecting and it exceeded the max group size. This worries me so may look to book independently so I can choose the level in advance. Although I have to admit I do like the idea of being with other Crystal bookers for the social side of it which is more likely booking with Crystal. Difficult to decide, but I will try to make a decision soon Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ma4521, interesting that they are using prosneige! I think I'd be inclined to go through Crystal for the social reasons you set out - I'm sure the ski school will sort people into sensible sorts of groups. And as a lot of us have found in ski lessons, it's not essential for people to all be exactly the same level. I've skied in group lessons with people stronger than me, and not so strong, and provided the difference isn't too great it's not a problem.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy