Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Backcountry skiing in England

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This winter I aim to spend a few weekends ski mountaineering in the Lake District. Information on the internet about this is limited, but I don't know if that's because not many are doing it, or if it's not possible.

The Lake district ski club run on Raise at around 2,400 feet, and backcountry skiing could run up to 3,200 feet, so snow cover shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know of any established routes? Some descents that come to mind include the western slopes of Raise, the north-western ridge off Clough Head, and numerous routes down to Watendlath.

Any help or info would be really appreciated Very Happy

Thanks,
GTubb
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a Facebook group called British Backcountry which is bound to have a few knowledgable people but the Lakes get toured on every year.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yep… was just going to say that. it's a very good place to start.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/502879386398375/?fref=ts
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skiing in the Lakes is very iffy, it was okay last year from time to time, but it can disappear overnight from the lower slopes.
There is a lift at Raise where I was a member last year, but even though it was a good year I would still describe it as crap. I generally headed off into the hills to find untracked powder.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a bit of info. here from a local mountain guide...

http://mountaincircles.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/ski-touring-lake-district-06-12-11.html

A good place to start might be Raise where you could speak to the locals about possibilities. As with all uk skiing its about grabbing the opportunity when it arises and I would tend to work out which areas/aspects have the best coverage and take it from there.

I have seen reports of people skiing the steep bowl off Helvelyn, The Cross Fell/Great Dunn Fell area has some great possibilities and I have heard the Howgills can be good. If the snow has fallen to the east rather than the lakes the Cheviots are also a good option.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just buy a map and get on with it. Many times we have been skiing up on Woodhead in the Peak District. Here's one from 2005:

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiing in England????? Are you sure?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
emwmarine, You must be a southerner to ask that - yep, on a good day you can freeride in these parts
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
altis, Great pic Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis.. good pic.. most impressed Little Angel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some more links and TRs in the thread here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2419907#2419907

inc another Lakes tour report here:
http://mountaincircles.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/ski-touring-helvellyn-05-11-12_5.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm up for a walk ski on Helvellyn if the conditions & access allow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plenty of opportunities in the right conditions both here in England but also Wales. The last 5 years have delivered good off piste right on the doorstep, if you live near the lakes, Pennines or Cheviots. Various reports are posted each year on winter highland. Probably best to join the LDSC , eagles club or hook up with folk into touring. Most reliable areas are the Dodds, high street, cheviots and cross fell\great dun fell but you have to grab the conditions when they are right. England is not supposed to be a skiing nation !

Depending on conditions there are also some short extreme decents available. Best known are helvellyn direct at 55 degrees and nearby browncove but there are lots of other possibilities in the big winters most of which will have been skied by now. Despite an average start to winter (in England at least) there has already been 2 days skiing at yad moss and 3 at Raise. Raise may also run tomorrow. Looks to be catching a few more showers tonight.
This is the report from Sunday:
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,3653
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy