Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

DIY ThermoFit Custom Fitting. Rice is Nice.

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/w2n53yTQ4Qc Razz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No rice, no microwave? Use the car. Razz

http://youtube.com/v/fuNGNN4LH6Q
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Seems a lot more complicated than just sticking them in the Rayburn for five min!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
that video is the cause of more screwed up intuition liners than anything else, we wouldn't be seeing so many bad liners causing problems if it was done right rice gets them hot but not really hot enough to mould as much as we would want it to, works sometimes but i would much rather have a bit more heat and some padding where required

but that's DIY boot fitting for ya
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM, have you seen problems with the turkey bag/ hot water technique? I was all set with my turkey bags (thanks amazon!) but then thought better of it and went to see an expert. Still wonder how I would have got on myself though...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Our nearest fitter is S&R Exeter. A 220m round trip. Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski, so how come you have boots that haven't been moulded for you - internet purchase?

It's a real shame the boots are so cheap online. I went to my local boot-fitter and paid about £235 for my new boots in January. I came home to find that I could have got the self same boot brand spanking new and delivered by buying online for £180. That's a significant difference IMV. However, when I came home from the boot-fitter the liners had been in the boot-fitter's oven device and heel lifts had been sorted out, and I had also had the chance to try on several different boots so that I knew that I had probably got the right ones. Was that worth £55 and could I have got the same effect buying them online had I have know which pair to get? I don't know. I do know that I haven't had any foot pain problems since getting them and I believe I am in a suitable boot and that it is what I gained. In fact I think now they are not so new and Head have changed their ladies range I believe I could get the self same boot online <£150 Shocked Could I heat treat the liners myself? Don't know. The trouble is that they are expensive things if you cock them up. It's just a pity that the online price is so different and I think this causes a lot of temptation to buy online. Then if you want them heated properly I wonder if a boot-fitters charge would be significant enough bring the cost back to visiting them in the first place? It seems swings and roundabouts to me.

Mollerski, Your boots sound some special sort of liner - could you wait until you were in resort where a boot-fitter would probably have the right oven and might sort them out for you if you paid the going rate?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum wrote:
Mollerski, - internet purchase?

Jumble sale. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, maybe I'm missing it but I thought CEM's point was just an observation that people sticking their £100-£200 liners into domestic ovens and hoping for the best can create problems for themselves, not that there's anything intrinsically problematic about buying your boots on the internet ? There's nothing to prevent anybody taking boots bought elsewhere to an establishment that has the kit and know-how to heat mould their liners.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've moulded all my liners in sauna with good result but saunas are probably less common there than rice, microwaves and cars Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
moffatross, missing nothing, it was just a thought process as to how people might end up with unmoulded liners and whether it was cost effective to do so given that I am it is reasonable for any ski shop to charge for moulding something that they haven't sold you, and musing whether this was a cost effective option. Just a few random thoughts and no reflection on anyone in this thread except to query how the OP had a set of unmoulded liners. Jumble sale prices might make it worth while paying someone to do some moulding maybe in resort?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
moffatross wrote:
point was just an observation that people sticking their £100-£200 liners into domestic ovens and hoping for the best can create problems for themselves,

All those "so special ovens" for heating ski boots, skates etc. are nothing more then hot air oven... basically same thing as domestic oven is, without option for grill, so grilled sandwiches are not an option after you finish molding your liners Wink No matter what, heating liners (or something bit more complicated like skates for example, where you have whole bunch of carbon to take care off not just liner) is not brain surgery and can easily, and I mean really easily, be done at home. 10mins Google use to get proper times and temperatures, if you haven't done this before, then 5mins to preheat oven and 20-30mins to get things done. If you are able to bake meatloaf, you are more then qualified to heat ski boot liners. And no, it's not a joke Wink But, if someone is ready to spend money for this and and have it done by "expert" (and yes, I deliberately put "expert" since 90% of these experts are anything but real experts in this field), I'm all for it. Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shall I place an order for popcorn? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:

Only if you've got a suitable oven to heat it in.... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alastair Pink, I was thinking that if he leaves the rice in the microwave for too long we'll have Rice Crispies.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
moffatross, missing nothing, it was just a thought process as to how people might end up with unmoulded liners and whether it was cost effective to do so ...

It's more than quite effective if you know what boots that you want to buy and you know how your shell size should fit. If that's the case, why would pay the 'fitting' premium ? That approach saved me £120 on my last pair (including the £10 for heat moulding).

primoz wrote:
All those "so special ovens" for heating ski boots, skates etc. are nothing more then hot air oven... basically same thing as domestic oven is, without option for grill, so grilled sandwiches are not an option after you finish molding your liners Wink

primoz, the wee toe boxes for giving your toes some space after moulding don't come with boots/liners and since it only costs a tenner for someone else to do it (expert or not), even if I could get the temperature just right, it's not really worth switching my oven on.
latest report
ok, so here is how it started, a couple of years ago if you wanted an intuition liner you went to a shop, intuition then decided they wanted to sell more liners....SO instead of working with their dealer network and doing a cash back voucher or something (a bit like canon did for cameras) they started selling direct, along with instructions as to how to heat liners with rice.. as a result there are a lot of improperly molded liners out there, the rice method gives a basic mold but there is not enough heat to get the liner to really change, someone with bunions or bun spurs anywhere on the foot needs the liner to be hot enough and protection over those areas to get a good defined mold in the liner

in the USA (they didn't even tell their distributor they were doing it!)

now how this gets to internet purchase of boots i am not sure, people can choose where they buy their boots form, i am not holding a gun to anyone's head, but please do not expect a boot fitter (however good or bad) to be able to make it right if the start point is not in the ball park, in the past 2 weeks i have seen 3 people wanting boot adjustments made to boots which were 2 and 3 sizes too big, (and that is me being conservative) fact is, i can make these boot s bit better maybe, but they will never be right, yet these people got a bargain, they don't want to buy a new boot, in fact they don't even want the help of a boot fitter, they want someone to stick some bits of sticky back foam on the boot sand say ah that's better! one even said he would go and put them back on ebay and get the next size down!!!

ok /rant over
snow report
Arno wrote:
CEM, have you seen problems with the turkey bag/ hot water technique? I was all set with my turkey bags (thanks amazon!) but then thought better of it and went to see an expert. Still wonder how I would have got on myself though...

for heating what? liners, never had the need to do ti that way, make sure you have at least 2 bags incase of leaks... shells who needs bags! can be successful but all of this depends on what you are trying to achieve
latest report
Megamum wrote:

Don't think they've really tried that one yet, filling the liner with microwave popcorn, 3min's on full power & 'ping'. Should be plenty of room in the liner after that. Remember to let it stand for a minute though.
ski holidays
CEM, it would have been for liners but I concluded it was exactly the sort of thing I would f up
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy