Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginning skier boots question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well, not really a beginner, but only in my 3rd year on the slopes.
I used to ski a lot when I was a young felllow and lived in Germany, but that's a long time agon Blush

Anyway now in my late 40's gone back to skiing and after having had to change my boots 3 times in 1 week last year
in Austria, I haev decided to buy myself a new pair of boots to avoid this from happenign again.

As said before, I am only back on th slopes for the 3rd year after having had a break from skiing for about 25 years
I am down to a choice of 2 boots.

1. the Atomic LiveFit 90
2. the Salomon Quest Access 80

Both boots because they are suiterd for a wide foot, but I am leaning to the Salomon because of the walk mode.
I dont know if it will make much difference but will find out when I try them.

The question is, what do you guys think of these boots, and are there any other boots, in the same price range
that would be suitable for a (re-)beginner??

Any advice and views most welcome Madeye-Smiley

Peter
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
peter3006, how have you decided on those two boots? Before you buy any boots you need go and try them on with the help of a knowledgeable fitter. It all depends on your feet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hm, sorry if I did not say this in teh previous post

I have tried both of these on twice for about an hour a time,
and both are fitting really well, even when the Salomon feels a tiny bit tighter than the Atomic
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
peter3006, boots that are "right" are going to feel a bit tight to start with. If you do a search on SHs about boots and fitting you'll find lots of good advice, including advice from some very experienced bootfitters.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To arrive at an answer, best discuss with your boot fitter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Go and find a good boot fitter and let them do their job, they will tell you which boots are right for you.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peter3006 wrote:

Both boots because they are suiterd for a wide foot, but I am leaning to the Salomon because of the walk mode.

I would suggest that you not let the availability of a walk mode influence your buying decision. I am a more experienced skier than you, however I have walked miles in boots over the years that do not have a walk mode.

I think it is a feature that is over marketed to intermediate skiers. Without a walk mode you will soon get used to walking in your boots anyway. I think that it is a nice to have feature, but nowhere near essential and certainly not a priority.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My last pair of boots had a walk mode which seemed to make very little difference - I frequently found that I'd been skiing all morning in walk mode.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1 were you measured
2 did the fitter carry out a shell check (if so how much space was there?)
3 what thickness of socks did they recommend
4 did they discuss footbeds of any description
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
peter3006, I've been skiing for 10 years, averaging 4 weeks a year, and I still go to a good boot fitter, tell them any problems and how I ski, if possible show them my old boots, then let them make all the choices as to which models to try on. Both times I have done this I have ended up with boots which fit like a glove but are very precise, and both were models I'd never even heard of Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had a couple of pairs of boots with a 'walk' mode and it never worked properly in any of them. As others have said, not an important feature.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy