Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

KNEE ADVICE 2

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I would mention that I was told that my knee problems (no cartilage ,arthritis and mal tracking) was caused by one leg being shorter than the other.
I today got this measured and there was 10mm difference . I then had my feet measured and was given adjustment insoles for my shoes and ski boots and was
told that I had to start with a 5mm adjustment and go back after one month to see if I could take 7mm . (Apparently after 53 years of 10mm difference is quite hard to rectify)
I was told that the insoles will take more pressure off the knee which was good news..................so worth getting checked.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
apparently loads of people have one leg longer than the other - often because of a pelvic imbalance/posture problem of some sort. Google it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks I just Googled it .That's incredible 75% of the population have this problem ! ! Even more reason for people to get it checked out and corrected if necessary . Anything to take more pressure off the bad knee!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
brnttptr wrote:
Just thought I would mention that I was told that my knee problems (no cartilage ,arthritis and mal tracking) was caused by one leg being shorter than the other.
I today got this measured and there was 10mm difference . I then had my feet measured and was given adjustment insoles for my shoes and ski boots and was
told that I had to start with a 5mm adjustment and go back after one month to see if I could take 7mm . (Apparently after 53 years of 10mm difference is quite hard to rectify)
I was told that the insoles will take more pressure off the knee which was good news..................so worth getting checked.

10 mm is not the cause of your knee problem.
i wouldnt correct 10mm.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very interesting ! Even if was not the cause of the knee problem, does the difference not increase pressure to the knee and therefore is worth correcting? If 10mm is not worth correcting what difference if any
is ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brnttptr wrote:
Very interesting ! Even if was not the cause of the knee problem, does the difference not increase pressure to the knee and therefore is worth correcting? If 10mm is not worth correcting what difference if any
is ?

When compared to all other factors, especially trunk/ pelvic tilt/ alignment/ gait 10mm is small beer.
25mm would be worth correcting but only usually by half ie 12mm
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonathan Bell wrote:
brnttptr wrote:
is ?

When compared to all other factors, especially trunk/ pelvic tilt/ alignment/ gait 10mm is small beer.
25mm would be worth correcting but only usually by half ie 12mm

Thanks Jonathan very clear ! My Osteopathe/Physio here in the Tyrol said that looking at just physio for the knee was not the answer and that I should also work
on the trunk/pelvic tilt alignment (which in my case definitely needed work)and gave me exercises for this . I am now doing these in addition to the knee exercise my UK physio gave me . She also sent me to get the difference in leg measured and I now have the insoles so I guess no harm in using them?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
brnttptr, See how you get on. the proximal stability work should be useful
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you seen a chiropractor. I also have an imbalance via my hips, and it manifests itself when running (as brn points out, more impact on one knee than the other). My chiro advised against corrective shoes as this would just mask the issue. Instead he corrected it through re-aligning my hips. I have to have it re-done every so often...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dylan32 Thanks .I have not seen a chiropractor . I have now discovered the difference in my leg was a bit of a Red Herring because when it was measured it was only 10mm which my Physio and Jonathan Bell
both feel is not significant. I am also trying exercises for the trunk /pelvic tilt etc and I am sure it will help long term but short term the biggest problem is the arthritis in the inside of my right knee (I think)

Last Monday I arrived back here in the South Tyrol and was met by 60cm of new snow on my part of the 100m track leading to my house. Unfortunately I decided to move it by hand which took 6 hours !! .In the process I
have twisted and knocked my knee (which had been skiing free for over 2 weeks.)more than once Two days later I went to ski in the morning and after the first few turns I felt a shooting pain on the inside of my left knee cap (where the arthritis is) so stopped and came home (no swelling). In the past week I have just been working in the office and doing all of the daily knee exercises and seem to have good general movement (except usual pain walking up and down stairs) .

I have also tried to replicate the movement that creates the pain and found : Moving backwards and forwards in a squat position = no pain Moving knees side to side whilst in a squat position = some pain depending on how far I move and angle. Today went skiing first thing (after 7 days ) and was able to ski for an hour and whilst I could feel some pain on the turns it was much less than a week ago . I stopped after an hour as I had to work (but even if I did not have to work I would have done so) and no swelling . In December I skied for 1-2 hours for 5 days in a row and only felt the shooting pain on the last day .

With all of the strengthening knee exercises etc I have done ( 8 weeks now ) things should gradually be getting better and I am hoping that the sharp pain I experienced is caused by a damaged muscle due to too much activity (e.g. it only happened on day 5 in Dec and after 6 hours snow shoveling last week )rather than the arthritis but I just don't know ?

This is all such a steep learning curve but at least I now know when to stop skiing to avoid swelling i.e I just use pain as the indicator to stop !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Inside of kneecap : I was virtually (am?) bone on bone a few years ago and had physio-Pilates to straighten my posture up. I'm sure it's not perfect now, but I have no day to day problems - clams, clams and more clams plus other side leg moves strengthen the glutes and it seems to work. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What a coincidence... I Just got XRay results back today after inner knee swelling and mild pain after xmas ski trip. I have some osteoarthritis in medial meniscus(? ) wear and tear etc. X Ray shows reduced meniscus on inner knee side but looks fine on outer side . i already do Pilates with physio and have been working on strengthening glutes with loads of clams, bridges, side leg series etc. i do have muscle imbalance in all of right leg , now have custom orthotics for weakening arch which lead to the knee dropping in, v tight adductors which I am trying to free up with massage and trigger point therapy etc etc! I thought I may have slight difference in leg length but its probably muscle imbalance messing with my hip alignment.

At my age(!) I realise that I have to work hard at maintaining my fitness and mobility and must listen to my body. Skiing again in March...hoping knee will cope, so have bought a Mueller hinged knee brace just in case and am working on building up strength in quads to protect my ageing knee.

Btw
For anyone interested there's a guy called Kelly Starrett on youTube who has posted some interesting videos on functional mobility, stretching and strenghtening of muscles etc . I thought he was amazing , inspirational and really motivating in a sort of full on "US of A " style. I have learnt some useful stuff watching his vids.
'
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am seeing my knee surgeon on Friday to book a partial knee replacement. From what I understand from my physio and knee Surgeon in many cases if the arthritis is not too bad it can be managed by physio and restricting excessive activities like skiing before the swelling starts.The Ski Mojo also seems to help many people. After 12 weeks of daily additional knee strengthening exercises my knee is much better and I can ski for a few hours BUT it not anywhere near to where I want it to be for my lifestyle . My Physio feels I can make a small improvement from here but that I will never get to the level I want to so now also agrees an op is the best way forward .

At the end of the day as my Surgeon said "its a lifestyle choice" !

If an op can be avoided and one can achieve the lifestyle one wants through physio and exercise that's fantastic !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy