Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Does There Come a Point When the Price of a Ski Jacket is Beyond Taking the Pee?

Poster: A snowHead
I reckon so.

After getting a new Trespass jacket at TK Maxx for £30 (road tested in cold, snowy weather in Tignes 10 days ago - tick! wink ) - and versus about £120 for this season's model in the Trespass shop - I've just gone into shock... Shocked

http://www.snowandrock.com/kjus-men's-blade-jacket/kjus/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/51558?listing=true

Dear me rolling eyes !!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mountainaddict, OUCH and I thought some of my gear was expensive, but they do state that its 100% waterproof Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
everyone knows that having the most expensive kit possible will make you a better skier.... at least when you are sat in the bar talking about that steep bumpy chute you did earlier....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Everyone knows that having the most expensive kit possible will make you a better skier....
Or get you a stunning 20 year old girlfriend....in the case of a middle-aged Russian oligarch Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mountainaddict,
You clearly ignore the fact that

''The Kjus Men’s Blade Jacket represents the very best technology that the industry has to offer',

Probably used by NASA worth every penny.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't like the design. Looks cheap Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obviously needs a built in lock and GPS tracking system wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not reviewed on amazon yet, but it does appear to have some spandex in it, so that must be good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's no good unless it perfectly matches every other piece of ski gear you own.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Complaining about the price of the jacket is the same as complaining about having no money. There is a market for everything and every budget. Kjus is a more expensive brand than Trespass, it's a actually one of the most expensive brands. I suspect that quality is somewhat better too. And it feels and looks better, not just because of its price. And probably wears better too. Why would anyone expect it to sell at upmarket brands at Trespass prices? No it want make anyone a better skier. But there is nothing wrong with buying expensive things when you can afford it and won't have to eat pot noodles for a month to make up for the outlay.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's not about price - it's a high end brand that some people will value and pay for, some of which will be in engineered qualities, weatherproofing style, fit, finish etc and some in prestige qualities like exclusivity or even the price tag. If you're a big swinging dick splashing £10k on an afternoon at the Folie Douce I suspect it's chump change. I've seen a number of very good skiers wearing Kjus and while I don't doubt they are at least comfortably well off, they also seem to get a fair amount of use out of it so maybe the annual amortised cost is the same as a 1 week Trespass.

You can get a Trespass jacket for buttons just like you can do the school run in a 10 year old Fiesta rather than a Cayenne (easier to park, probably less hazard to small pedestrians re visibility).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Anyone ever see the Harry Enfield sketches in the shop called, "I saw you coming"?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
never summer, has a kjus jacket by the sound of things...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergan also make jackets from the same Dermizax fabric for less than half the cost.

http://www.bergfreunde.de/bergans-gaustatoppen-jacket-hardshelljacke/

http://www.bergfreunde.de/bergans-isogaisa-insulated-lady-jacket-skijacke/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shocked
I wonder how much Lasse makes out of the Kjus stuff ? Smile
latest report
fatbob wrote:
... I've seen a number of very good skiers wearing Kjus and while I don't doubt they are at least comfortably well off, they also seem to get a fair amount of use out of it ...

Maybe it's like the gold diamond studded rolex worn by the girlie I had breakfast with one day. She had an ugly boat of a thing on her delicate wrist, and it could not even keep time. She said it was good for impressing people with, obviously not people like me.

I'll happily wear it if someone gives me one (the jacket, not the watch, those are just tacky).

In my experience rich guys tend to ride in different gear each day. Just saying, you'll be needing more than one of those.
snow report
fatbob, Exactly.
snow conditions
philwig, Are you sure it wasn't a fake Rolex? A real one will keep time.
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
I reckon so.

After getting a new Trespass jacket at TK Maxx for £30 (road tested in cold, snowy weather in Tignes 10 days ago - tick! wink ) - and versus about £120 for this season's model in the Trespass shop - I've just gone into shock... Shocked

http://www.snowandrock.com/kjus-men's-blade-jacket/kjus/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/51558?listing=true

Dear me rolling eyes !!

Surely you would go into <Gloat> not shock, and will be on the lookout for someone wearing one who paid full price for it to start having a nice chat about how good it is and what good value it was for £30..... snowHead
latest report
All sports are the same in this respect aren't they? There is a price level at which very good equipment can be purchased. There are then always more levels where you can spend, 100%, 200% or 500% more ad infinitum. The quality will usually improve as you climb the scale, but certainly not in proportion with the price increase; but if there were not people who were willing to pay it, the higher priced equipment would not be there.

I used to do a lot of cycling and I always felt that you could get an excellent bike for a few hundred quid; you could also get a slightly more excellent bike for several thousand. Same applies to skis and ski gear. Very few people will ever appreciate the difference in quality or performance, but if they've got the money to spend, who can blame the manufacturer for filling the demand.
ski holidays
Isn't that "point" about halfway upthe hill to Courcheval?
latest report
With all my gear it's a) got to fit and b) do the job I want it to do, which is why you will find me skiing in a £250 schoeffel jacket and a £14 Sports Direct No-Fear helmet, teamed variously with a pair of £12 Dare2B ski trousers or a £100 pair of Vist salopettes. Either of which I have a £12 Dare2B lightweight jacket to go with when it gets hot. Within reason I don't care what the price tag says and sometimes the dearer stuff just won't do, which is what I found with helmets having tried on about 60+ at literally every price and prepared to buy any of them, I bought the first one that fitted well and that was a £14 one.
snow conditions
That Kjus jacket looks ok and when I have seen the stuff in shops it all looks well made and good quality, I personally wouldn't pay 1.2k for a jacket but, if you have the cash and like it why not?

Bogner jackets on the other hand are similarly priced and absolutely disgusting, how about this?

http://shop-de.bogner.com/media/catalog/product/cache/allstores/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/5/25582-H.jpg

I can't find pics of the really hideous ones and trust me when i say these look worse in the flesh
ski holidays
never summer wrote:
philwig, Are you sure it wasn't a fake Rolex? A real one will keep time.

Don't you believe that !

A true Rolex will not keep time!

I've gone Paramo for this season, going to be interesting to see how they perform.
latest report
I think it boils down to that people have more money than sense and these ridiculously over priced jackets are extensions of their ego....

That being said, if you're that rich and can comfortably afford one of these jackets then feel free to do so... Just not under the guise that's it's anything else other than a status symbols as these jackets have no functional benefits over jackets a fraction of the price.
snow report
I once had a fake Rolex that kept pretty good time. It probably had Seiko or similar innards.
ski holidays
I was bought a rolex for a birthday once. It runs a little too quickly. It's pretty though.

Oh and £1200 for that ski jacket is crazy, largely as it looks pretty horrible.
snow report
lynseyf, we saw a guy in one of those at VT last year. We assumed it was some old team jacket he was attached too, but it did look bad. A bit like my school anorak in 1975
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you think skiing is a slightly absurd vehicle for ostentatious displays of wealth, take a course at your local college and learn to skipper a yacht. Far more opportunities to show off!
snow report
lynseyf, Bogner stuff is spectacularly tasteless. And crap.
ski holidays
lynseyf, that Bogner jacket, Hideous, 60's and NASA are the first things that springs to mind.
ski holidays
Shock horror - people with money being offered a more exclusive name tag/brand beyond average Joe's Public's price range rolling eyes

I tried one on when I was in S&R the other week - good looking bit of kit and fitted extremely well. A tad out of my price range, but if people wish to spend that much, fair play. They've possibly earned the right not to shop for bargain basement ski wear from TKM/Moffats/wherever. Quite what ego has to do with it, I have no idea rolling eyes
snow report
Cacciatore,
Quote:
Quite what ego has to do with it, I have no idea rolling eyes

That's good.... cos, no, you can't have one for xmas Toofy Grin
ski holidays
mountainaddict, Please start TWO threads in Equipment Reviews..................... "Best Expensive Ski Jacket Review" ................. "Best Cheap Ski Jacket Review"
Have a couple of rules............. Expensive = £500 plus, Cheap = £50 or less.

BTW, got a pair of Kjus salopettes, Ebay has a range of colours/sizes. Was £125 too much for a £399 pair of ski pants?
Also, Rolex's are soooooo passe. rolling eyes

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 11-12-13 19:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Cacciatore, if not ego, then what other motive would someone have to purchase a jacket that preforms no better than jackets less than half its price?? And before you say style, its a plain black jacket.... there must be hundreds from various other manufacturers that cost significantly less and preform just as well!
ski holidays
Oh dear....I only posted this in the first place for a bit of fun & discussion....Er, what have I done.... Confused

Must go - off to see if Aldi have any stuff left Very Happy ......
snow report
You could get a high tech fart bag like this for that sort of money .....

http://www.sport-conrad.com/page/product-detail/__/shop/prod/31813
ski holidays
DB, Shocked

Words fail me.
ski holidays
skimastaaah wrote:
Was £125 too much for a £399 pair of ski pants?

Not if you don't mind buying fakes.

If it seems too good to be true ....
snow conditions
Quote:

If you think skiing is a slightly absurd vehicle for ostentatious displays of wealth, take a course at your local college and learn to skipper a yacht. Far more opportunities to show off!

Owning a yacht is a well known route to poverty.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy