Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski trip- packing

Poster: A snowHead
About to embark on my first ever ski trip. Any tips on what to bring, what to leave behind etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UV lipstick - but everything depends on, where, how high and what type of accomodation you use. snowHead Don't hope the first aid kit will be neccesary! wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zell am see, Christmas week (21st-28th) staying in seevilla Freiberg!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find that most people i ski with pack far too much.
A ski trip is not a normal holiday and you will probably spend most of the time in your ski gear so don't pack too much other clothes. One or two evening outfits are all you will need.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
this year we are having a family trip so splashed out on some extra luggage allowance but last time we went as a family we managed with just hand luggage so we have it down to a fine art.

Usually carry my ski jacket in my hand, and pack ski bants, base layer and light top. 3 pairs of ski socks. Gloves and sunglasses. For nighttime wear I bring one pair of Jeans along with the pair I wear travelling, one hoodie and five or six t shirts. I try to keep nightime clothes to a minimum,
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2398854&highlight=packing#2398854
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2398495&highlight=packing#2398495
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2252892&highlight=packing#2252892

Loads of other posts if you search
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You are unlikely to need a heavy pullover - too hot and gets wet from perspiration when skiing, and chalets/hotels/apartments are invariably overheated.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've found it really helps, especially if you've got kids to usher out the door too, to have a check list on the door of your room, to avoid getting too far and having to go back for something (always difficult in ski boots!)
This would include Hat/helmet, Sunglasses/googles, gloves, Scarf/neckwarmer, chapstick, suncream, purse, mobile, LIFTPASS! + anything else you might want on the slopes, such as handwarmers and tissues.
Have fun! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I find that most people i ski with pack far too much.

Agreed

Pack your stuff - then take half of it out
Re-pack - then take another half out
What you have left will be about right

Going out for dinner in a ski resort is not the same as going out anywhere else - with a few small exceptions - jeans, jumper, boots is accepted anywhere.

As we self-cater it will be

Clothes for travel in
Ski stuff
PJs for slobbing around in eve
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
zellski, I stayed there a few years ago, its very nice right beside the lake and they have a shuttle to take you to the lifts each morning to save you a walk! have fun.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Apart from the most obvious stuff:

sunglasses
E111 card
Deep Heat
Aftersun/Factor Gazillion sun cream
Ski Tracks app for your iphone/Android
Hipflask and sloe gin / toffee vodka etc.

Half the amount of clothes that are still in after you took out the half that Boris told you.

and finally, don't forget to cut your toe nails before you go! Long toe nails in ski boots are a v bad combination!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fabreeze makes it on to my list usually because any rewearing of socks/base layers to cut down on clothing generally means a bad odour in the room - especially if sharing a room with others.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Personally I wouldn't bother with suncream at Christmas.
SKi clothes, if you may be going out at night something warm including hat socks and gloves , something to relax in Adapter for Northern European plugs one per person.

Tip about toe nail trimming is a very good one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A bicorne, monkey suit & boxing gloves should be left at home. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Personally I wouldn't bother with suncream at Christmas.

Never ever underestimate sun (plus reflection off snow) at altitude - even when overcast.
Plus one should wear an SPF the year around anyway no matter where you are based.

I would add get one which contains protection against cold/wind chill as well - personal recommendation would be Piz Buin Mountain Sun Cream Pocket Size SPF 50, 40 ml (so really small to pack).

Also think layering: i.e. thin performance layer (hi tech materials tend to need a quick wash to avoid them being anti-social), merino base layer, fleece.

I'd also factor in random Spaghetti Bolognese incidents, knocked over glasses etc. and have a spare t-shirt, top, hoodie (plus some of us actually enjoy switching up their wardrobe wink )

Spare gloves (to have on you in jacket or backpack).

Anyway, have fun plus I have seen quite a good packing list knocking around here somewhere which might be contained in one of those threads a previous poster has attached! snowHead
snow conditions
With the UK/Europe adaptor, take a multi-socket adaptor - so you can plug in all the different devices that you may want to plug in/charge overnight (for me it is boot dryer, mobile phone charger, GoPro helmet cam charger, Kindle or iPad charger for reading books at night, etc.)
snow conditions
Quote:

Fabreeze makes it on to my list usually because any rewearing of socks/base layers to cut down on clothing generally means a bad odour in the room - especially if sharing a room with others.

I think we'd all rather that you, and he, just took some more clean clothes and a bar of soap. Very Happy

Quote:

I'd also factor in random Spaghetti Bolognese incidents
Good point. A spare tie is not a bad idea.

Quote:

Spare gloves (to have on you in jacket or backpack).

Are you suggesting he skis with one pair on his hands and another in his backpack? I think that might be a tad excessive.
latest report
sun cream and good sunglasses are essential. As you become more confident skiers you will need sports sunglasses to keep the wind out of your eyes, but you should not need these for your first holiday.

Synthetic hi-tech base layers can be rinsed out after skiing and hung up to dry to stop them smelling - they are dry by following morning.

Pretty much anything you forget can be bought in resort (except chargers), so do not get too paranoid about
snow report
Quote:

Never ever underestimate sun (plus reflection off snow) at altitude - even when overcast.

Plus one should wear an SPF the year around anyway no matter where you are based.

I have skied a lot in Jan and Dec and have never worn sunscreen during those months, never yet been sunburnt or come close I am sceptical about the need to do so other than as encouraged by the manufacturers of suncreams, later in the season I would certainly agree with the recommendation.
snow report
What is essential to one person is irrelevant to another. I have not used sunglasses for years and even in spring ski wearing goggles. I have never taken spare gloves, or lost a glove and never worn a hoodie. But I always seem to take too many clothes.
ski holidays
zellski, confused??? Puzzled Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
For the apartment we rent, we take a UK 6-plug extension. Plug that in with a EU adapter and everything else can be charged with usual UK plugs

Quote:

Pretty much anything you forget can be bought in resort

Agreed - the only MUST pack for me is my Contact Lenses as am somewhat screwed without them. Not totally as will have a spare pair of specs around somewhere
latest report
I've never gone on a ski trip without a raclette machine in my suitcase.
snow report
He's not taking the P**S, its true!
Me, I take a set of 150 LED christmas lights (plus tinsel wrapping), even in April, always makes the apartment bright and cheery Toofy Grin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 11-12-13 15:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Don't forget

1) Ensure your travel insurance covers you for winter sports (and to what level)
2) Your EHIC card - http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/about-the-ehic.aspx
snow conditions
Quote:

Synthetic hi-tech base layers can be rinsed out after skiing and hung up to dry to stop them smelling - they are dry by following morning.

True. Personally, I've been very happy with some normal cotton T-shirts, but I gather I'm alone in that view
Very Happy

johnE,
Quote:

I have not used sunglasses for years and even in spring ski wearing goggles
Don't you feel a bit of a plonker sitting out on the terrace of a mountain restaurant drinking a beer and eating lunch wearing goggles?

zellski, Anyway, don't worry too much about it. Just remember the old advice that as long as you have a passport and a credit card everything else is fixable.
snow report
I'm sure I remember seeing on here that the only things required for a skiing holiday are a passport, two grand and a lighter??
snow report
Put out what you want, put away what you don't need, decide which 50% more to put away.

You don't need fresh mid layers each day; 3 will easily do for 6 days (2 if you're carefull with temp control). Don't take loads of base layers; If you're happy to wash them each evening (in the shower) 2 is plenty. Don't take 2/3/4 of the same thing when you can share, so one bottle of Shampoo, one tube of toothpaste.

...and don'tdo what I do, which is follow the above rules then look in my case at all the space and decide to put some of the removed stuff back in to fill it out a bit. It's just ballast to be carries around for no good reason.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 11-12-13 16:22; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Of course all of this depends upon zellski's luggage allowance. If he's got the full 20Kg and isn't taking boots, then pack everything under the sun. Fresh t-shirt for every day, mid-layers in a range of colours to match the 12 pairs of socks, dinner jacket for apres ski, onesie, spare bed because French chalet beds are designed for midgets etc. etc. No point in skimping if you don't need to.
latest report
Jef Wickes wrote:
A bicorne, monkey suit & boxing gloves should be left at home. Madeye-Smiley

sorry but if I (or anyone I knew) had a monkey suit and didnt take it with them to ski (or attempt to ski) in id be exceptionally disappointed and questioning why they had said monkey suit in the first place....cant think of a better use for one

que epic daydreams of monkey suit half-pipe comedy
snow report
and ski poles painted to look like bananas THATS IT IM BUYING A MONKEY SUIT
snow conditions
Thanks for all the tips!! have a big baggage allowance so plenty of room for the Christmas lights and tinsel! Cant wait to go now, have wanted to try skiing for years and only getting round to it now!
latest report
Tea bags if you enjoy a brew in the morning , camera for the views across the lake and upon the hill. Anything you forget you should be able to pick up in Zell or shuttdorf locally.
snow conditions
100% agree on the sunscreen. I got sunburned UNDER my chin last year from the reflection off the snow!! And if you're inclined to get cold sores, the combination of sun and cold can really exacerbate them Smile
ski holidays
Here's my checklist.

For actual skiing:
Ski socks, ski trousers, ski jacket, ski gloves, helmet (you can hire in resort), woolly hat for lunchtime wear if you want to disguise helmet hair, goggles, sunglasses, base layer leggings, base layer tops (how many depends on personal hygiene standards!), fleece, comfy underwear, sports bra (if you're female), buff/neck-warmer, small rucksack, suncream (if later in season).

For pre/post skiing:
Appropriate footwear (preferably boots with a grippy sole e.g. hiking boots, Timberlands) and normal casual clothes e.g. jeans, tshirts, jumper, plus a warm coat that isn't your ski jacket (which will be wet/sweaty), normal gloves (ditto) and a hat. And some painkillers for your first apres apres ski morning

Usual travel stuff:
Pretty much covered above - passport, travel insurance, adaptor, washbag etc

Enjoy!
snow conditions
BlueSky, Good checklist. The buff is a good addition.

Rucksack - I know Snowheads seem to be very pro rucksacks, but I've never really felt the need to carry one. Unless you are going off piste and need shovels, poles, transceivers, hot water bottles, oxygen cyliders etc. then I honestly can't think what I'd put in one. Bottle of wine and a baguette, perhaps, but then that was why God invented mountain restaurants. My guess is that <5% of piste skiers wear one.

Warm coat - It would be quite nice to have a less bulky coat for apres ski, but not really necessary IMO. I can't see any likelihood of the OP actually getting wet In January. The snow will just brush off and you'd be unlucky for it to rain.

Timberlands - I have a great pair. BUT, the soles are that hard yellow material and they are worse than useless in the snow. A bit like winter vs summer tyres, the compound seems just too hard.
ski holidays
Maybe a chalet suit ?
latest report
A travel kettle and a hip flask
snow report
If self catering a few dishwasher tablets, saves buying them.
snow conditions
Hmm.... Our luggage this Christmas will have 2 dragons (one green and one purple) and Supergirl in them....travelling light and all that
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy