Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kashmir's earthquake victims fear the snow as British Chinook choppers bring relief

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Impending snow and exposure in earthquake-devastated Kashmir are demanding rapid transport of food and shelter. Three Chinook helicopters, lent by the British Department for International Development, have just completed an aid drop of 165 metric tonnes per day, involving the expertise of 90 RAF crew.

This article from Relief Web describes the methods used.

On the ground, relief workers are helping desperate local people prepare for a winter that could deliver 1-4 metres of snow and temperatures of -10C to -15C, with impassable roads.

Simon Roughneed, who works for Dublin-based humanitarian organisation GOAL, describes the urgent work being done despite under-funding, in this report for Reuters AlertNet.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 24-11-05 15:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wonder why there was such a good response to the Tsunami and such a bad one to this dreadful earthquake. The needs of the people here are surely even greater?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, I suspect more people, snowHeads excepted, can relate to lying on a tropical beach than life in remote mountains. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Despite the above efforts, the huge scale of the disaster and threat to those still alive and exposed to the snow and cold remains real.

This report from The Independent is headlined "Pakistan earthquake: A tragedy the world forgot"
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hopefully this cold weather will highlight the inconvenience of living in unheated tents in sub zero temperatures. It needs to be back in the media spotlight.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, people dont go on holiday there.. its news one day n forgotten the next.. im sure a disaster in the alps of a similar scale would generate 500 times the intrest and funding.. also people are still a bit wary of where all their tsunami pounds went.. Sad ..
it would be nice if as a country with considerable military power we could use that to help out in these situations rather than having it all stuck in iraq Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When the Pakistani President refused the help of Indian helicopters on Day 1 I think he did his people a great disservice and perhaps turned off potential donors / helpers. Did the Pakistani army and construction industry really mobilise every bit of earthmoving equipment in the country to open up access to the remote regions? Somehow, and sadly, I fear not. Looks better on TV to hold fancy donor conferences and get pledges of > 5 Billion in grants and soft loans.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kuwait_ian, I was speaking to somone last week who'd been out in Pakistan helpin with the relief efforts, from what he said I got the impression that he thought they were using every piece of equipment they could, unfortunately they don't have all that much equipment especially in the countryside and they were having real problems prioritising where to send it, e.g did they leave it in the cities to help remove the concrete structures and recover the dead to stop disease or send it down poorly maintained and severely damaged roads to help in outlying villages where in many cases they don't have fuel. Bear in mind that much of the construction in the villages and almost all in the mountains is traditionally done by manual labour as they cannot afford heavy machinery
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy