Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski road trip!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey,
Just been let down on a seasonal job and accom so currently looking at other options to get me on the slopes this winter.
I don't know if anyone has done it, knows someone who has or just has any advise that may help but I'm looking at driving from England and skiing a few resorts this winter.
Hopefully a resort in Austria, Switzerland and France. (not sure exactly which ones yet)
Have between 2-3 weeks and will be driving a smallish van, taking 2 of us.
I was wondering if the road conditions made this possible?
Is it easy to find 2-3 days accom at a hostel or somewhere cheap?
Are there any lift passes that can be bought in advance that could make skiing multiple resorts cheaper than buying day passes?
If I threw a bed in the back is it possible to sleep in the van or just far too cold?

Just a few questions off the top of my head I can think of.

Like I say, any advise would be great.

THANKS!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No problem with road conditions (some mountain passes will be closed though) but you'll need chains and, preferably, winter tyres.

Far too cold to sleep in the back of an uninsulated van IMV.

Ease of finding accommodation will depend on the dates - need to avoid the local busy periods. You might find it best to stay in cheaper valley hotels and drive up to the slopes.

I don't think there are any ski passes which cover Austria, Switzerland and France (though the Portes du Soleil extends across the Swiss/France border and gives you plenty of skiing for that length of time).

You could look at a ski pass such as Evasion Mont Blanc, which covers a range of skiing across a decent area. Or in Austria there are some good value ski passes which cover multiple resorts, too. But either way, I think I'd not try to cover the three countries in such a short trip - would be pretty expensive in fuel, tolls and ski passes and you could spend too much time driving as opposed to skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Kitzbuhel ski pass offers discounts in some Swiss resorts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd focus on smaller resorts, in the shadow of the big (and expensive) giants...Some of which come to mind are Prali, Montafon, Kleinwalsertal as well as Vogel and Bovec in Slovenia.
It automatically takes care of the accomodation question as you'll always find a (cheaper) bed for the night...and you get less of a crowd.
If you hit the big names, stay further down the road for cheaper...there are mostly free bus shuttles to the lifts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
a Valaiscard (look on www.valais.ch) could work well for you with getting accommodation in an Ibis or similiar down in the Rhone valley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
weston7610: If you swap Austria for Switzerland and look at the area where the borders of Italy, France and Switzerland meet around the Mt Blanc area.....you could then easily 'do' three countries without huge amounts of driving. For example you could:

- Ski the resorts of the Aosta Valley (Courmayeur, Cervinia, Pila, Gressoney etc) in Italy - with cheap digs in the old Roman town of Aosta (cobbled streets, Roman 'Arc de Triomphe,' mini-colosseum-type ruins etc).
- Nip over the (Grand?) St Bernard Pass from Aosta (it has a tunnel at the top so is reasonably weatherproof) to ski Verbier at the other side; or Saas Fee; or loads of other areas.
- OR pop through the Mont Blanc Tunnel from Aosta to ski Chamonix, Les Houches, Les Gets/Morzine/Avoriaz, Combloux, Megeve, Flaine and/or more - before driving via the pass near Argentiere to Switzerland and skiing somewhere like Verbier.

Pam W's valley towns suggestion is a good one. As well as Aosta, we've stayed for odd nights in reasonably priced Accor Hotels - all bookable online - eg the Ibis Hotel in Sallanches (well-placed for loads of ski areas - eg Combloux/Megeve; Chamonix; Les Carroz/Flaine); a Mercure in Chamonix; the Mercure in Martigny; and the Ibis in Sion - the last two both within easy drives of loads of Swiss areas.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy