Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off piste insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone recommend an insurance that covers off piste? Do any cover off-piste unguided?
Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidthornton, several do, if you pick the right level of cover. Have a look at snowcard.co.uk (have to go for one of the top options) or MPI brokers. Or the top level of the SCGB policy.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also take a look at http://www.nowicantravel.co.uk/travel_insurance/wintersports.html. It's aimed at customers with pre-existing medical conditions, but will quote for anyone. Not sure of the price (I only found out about it after I bought a policy elsewhere) but the cover looks good.

EDIT - I just checked the price, it's comparable to MPI (£190 pa for a couple for the higher level of cover), and the level of cover looks similar. I wonder if it is even the same underwriter under the covers?

An alternative is to get "regular" insurance and then join the Austrian Alpine Club to get their mountaineering cover which covers off piste, touring etc. This cover is not the same as travel insurance and in particular it has low limits on medical cover - it is really for rescue and getting you to a state hospital where an EHIC card is valid. If skiing outside Europe it's probably inadequate but if you find a cheap travel policy that does not allow off piste then it may be worth a look as a top up.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 10-12-13 15:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think it has to be the top level of the Ski Club of GB policy to do unguided, pam w. Or at least that was what I remember.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks. I have used Snowcard in the past, a bit expensive but seems to very comprehensive.pam w,
sah, the Austrian Alpine Club might be an idea. I already have an annual travel policy (with bank account) but, although it covers winter sport, I'm not convinced of the depth of cover in regard of skiing, so really I only need a "top-up" policy for skiing, in particular off-piste if possible.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The SCGB now does Skiclub+ which includes a Fogg medi-card

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/infoandadvice/category.aspx?categoryID=24#.UqdMM2RdVPo
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidthornton wrote:
Thanks. I have used Snowcard in the past, a bit expensive but seems to very comprehensive.pam w,
sah, the Austrian Alpine Club might be an idea. I already have an annual travel policy (with bank account) but, although it covers winter sport, I'm not convinced of the depth of cover in regard of skiing, so really I only need a "top-up" policy for skiing, in particular off-piste if possible.

Obviously you'll need to check the T&Cs for yourself, but in this case it sounds like it could be a good plan. If you use alpine huts at all, or want to buy maps or Cicerone guide books you get a decent discount throughout the AAC. Their UK site has all the info: http://aacuk.org.uk
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

the Austrian Alpine Club might be an idea.

+1 for the Sektion Britannia of the AAC : I've been using it for mountain activities summer and winter, membership includes reciprocal rights in the huts as well as comprehensive annual insurance.
Details here: http://aacuk.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/AWS2013.pdf
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use the AAC(UK) these days. For under £50 covers you for rescue most places apart from above 6000m and the Arctic/Antarctic regions. Also get a nice mag, some events in the UK and cheaper huts if you are into touring.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Many years ago the AAC had a reputation for not paying out, does anyone have recent claims experience. My daughter a french resident was a member of CAF (french Alpine Club) which had an insurance element. Last year she got rescue insurance from Vieu Campeur for around £30.

The BMC premiums have shot up this year.

When I look at what I'm covered for with BMC I don't need most of it, I have my health card, I don't want baggage or cancellation, all I really want is top of the range rescue cover.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks sah, I've joined AAC. Hopefully, I won't need to test it, the "on mountain" cover is good. Everything else is adequately covered by my other travel insurance and my EHIC card.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I agree with snowball. I use SCGB insurance as a wintersports top-up and I'm just about to renew, which is why i stopped in to check out other views.
Its not necessary to have the top level SCGB because even the standard level gives off-piste cover.
Thanks for the tips on AAC, I'll go and take a look...
BTW, does anyone here use the ski risk insurance when renting skis? seems like an extra £12 each per week wasted.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

BTW, does anyone here use the ski risk insurance when renting skis? seems like an extra £12 each per week wasted.

Agree. Rental skis are covered on my travel policy (and every winter sports travel policy I've ever looked at) so why pay again?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob, The reputation may have come from people claiming for things that were also covered on general policies which they held.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Avalanche Poodle, to be fair I'm talking about thirty years ago, I've always been good at holding a grudge.
snow report
Agree with davidthornton, my bank account gives basic cover and AAC does the rest for £35 for a year at my age!
snow report
I was with MPI last year and just considering my options for the coming year. Does AAC cover ski mountaineering?
ski holidays
PP, yes, see http://aacuk.org.uk/
ski holidays
Should you happen to be a member of the RYA (and quite a few skiers are), their annual travel insurance has no off-piste limitations. It also covers sailing out of territorial waters, which is rare.
ski holidays
Should you happen to be a member of the RYA (and quite a few skiers are), their annual travel insurance has no off-piste limitations. It also covers sailing out of territorial waters, which is rare.
latest report
Do you have to pay extra for RYA travel insurance? How do you get it? I knew it included windsurf 3rd party (which is why I have it) but didn't realise that skiing was also covered.
snow conditions
Quote:

Its not necessary to have the top level SCGB

yes, now I think harder about it, I think the reason we needed top level cover was to cover long trips.
snow conditions
tccambs, It is in the standard RYA annual travel policy, which you have to buy, but the off-piste comes at no extra cost. I called them some time ago to confirm that the absence of limitations to off-piste skiing in the small print did indeed mean that off-piste skiing was covered, and I was assured that it did. (I know nothing about wind surfing, but coverage of international waters is important to me because I sail across the Channel now and then)
snow report
AAC or CAF seem to be the best, particularly for seasonaires, but it is complicated with AAC covering 56 days medical but unlimited rescue.
snow report
nevis1003, Yup, but with the EHIC card the medical side is pretty well covered as long as you don't mind self insuring for accommodation costs etc.
ski holidays
Quote:

the medical side is pretty well covered as long as you don't mind self insuring for accommodation costs etc

and paying for any charges outside the state system (e.g. private resort medical clinics, private ambulances) and some minor charges within the state system. A choice between either a medical repatriation flight or local accommodation for long enough for you to recover could be quite an expensive choice. The RYA policy only gives 17 days winter sports cover per year. Few of the "free with cornflakes" style bank account travel policies cover much winter sports or longer trips. The combination of unguided off piste, lots of skiing and long trips gets expensive. Fairynuff, really. wink After profiting from my cover last year I am hoping that this year it will be a complete waste of money, as it was for many years previously.
snow report
Lampbus is using http://www.snowcard.co.uk/ because he can get insurance for offpiste without a guide there (he is on an annual policy with 30 days of skiing but there are other options available and single trips).
ski holidays
pam w, For seasonaires the accommodation isn't usually a problem unless it is part of a job package. But like you say, if you are working for your trip being laid up may prove expensive. Thank god I'm just a ski bum Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes, and when I needed to make a claim there were no problems. (THat was 5 or 6 years ago and they have changed their underwriter since then)
latest report
pam w, AAC covers repatriation. My experience in Austria (Schladming at least) is that EHIC works very well. Never been charged for several GP or A&E visits over the last few years, a nice new local hospital too that probably cost less than my local UK one (£1,000,000,000 PFI - thanks Gordon!), and the standard of spoken English is better.

I use an Amex annual policy that nowadays has a restrictive off piste clause (with guide but no clue to what a guide is) so top up with AAC membership.
snow report
waynos, Have you registered with a doctor out there?
snow report
waynos, I expect it depends where you are. (ie which country). In France most - maybe all - resort clinics are private and the ambulance that they call up to take you to the hospital, if you need to go there, might also be private - I was sent back to my apartment in a private ambulance though the charge was very reasonable given a well equipped vehicle, two experienced and very pleasant blokes taking me safely through snowy paths and downstairs.

The fleets of ambulances you see at Geneva offloading guys and gals with their legs in armour all look private.

It's worth remembering that EHIC only covers what locals get free - you just need to find out, in your situation, what that is.

Don't mention the PFI - what a truly ghastly hostage to fortune that is. Twisted Evil
latest report
pam w, Apparently the Austrian and German public healthcare system is very efficient. Almost sounds like a cliche wink But of course, they are mainly towns close to the slopes, not custom resorts as such.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy