Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian sauna etiquette

Poster: A snowHead
Pedantica wrote:
I doubt there are any health benefits

The benefits have been well established.

http://www.med.wisc.edu/news-events/sauna-induced-sweating-offers-many-health-benefits/30199
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bode Swiller, sort of, I suppose. I get a feeling of well-being after copious quantities of good champagne, but not sure I'd call that a health benefit! wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, It takes place at a lake, and there is a hole in the ice to jump in, however the story does not tell if they did jump into the lake.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
HoneyBunny wrote:
Nope, you're still not selling it to me. I think most people (myself included) look better with clothes on!

LOL @ stretching your bits!

It's not really about how you or anyone else looks though; in fact, that's pretty irrelevant!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feef, I'll see your Wisconsin naturopath and raise you Harvard....http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/sauna_health_benefits
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Worried about sauna etiquette? Don't sweat it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's a respectable article - too much sauna can reduce your sperm count (which might, of course, be seen as a benefit). wink http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.81.8.1034
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not realy relevant for my age anymore. Have done my bit when young. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Here's a respectable article - too much sauna can reduce your sperm count (which might, of course, be seen as a benefit). wink http://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/pdf/10.2105/AJPH.81.8.1034

Guess that's mostly down to the little chaps getting too hot, same as office workers sat down all day.
Wonder if that means boarders have a high count, with all the time they spend sat down in the snow freezing there b@#/ks off? NehNeh
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:

It's not really about how you or anyone else looks though; in fact, that's pretty irrelevant!

I know, I know.

I'm just not comfortable with the idea of being naked in front of strangers, or worse, friends.

Repressed Brit.

Aside from that, I've sat in a sauna a couple of times before and hated it! I was hot and bored.

Didn't mind the steam room, but saunas aren't for me.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:

Equally: "Sauna bathing does not influence fertility and is safe during the uncomplicated pregnancies of healthy women"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11165553

and "Some studies have suggested that long-term sauna bathing may help lower blood pressure in patients with hypertension and improve the left ventricular ejection fraction in patients with chronic congestive heart failure, but additional data are needed to confirm these findings"

So the research points to there being some health benefits more than there being none.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A couple of years ago we went to the salt water spa and pool complex near Flachau. We swum with costumes as did everyone else, but as it was salt water there were fresh water showers to rinse off under, but they were communal (separate M&F) and sans clothing. So daughter and I duly did the naked thing.

I was positively glowing later on at comments from daughter about the state of my own bust in comparison to the other ladies in there and the concept of 'naked' in foreign bathing/sauna areas has never bothered me since Laughing In addition I think it did wonders for daughter's own body confidence (she was just at the point that it was starting to matter) as she got see that 'real' women are not the airbrushed shapes you get in glossy magazines and it presented exactly the image that some of TV progs about 'being proud of yourself' show, i.e. that we aren't all air-brushed beauties.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 10-12-13 12:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Daishan,

...and their trousers round their knees Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sev112 wrote:
It's rude not to look, and whatever you see, you must smile. - nodding appreciatively is also good protocol

Is it acceptable to applaud? Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
HoneyBunny, I'm with you on this, I don't like nudity and I don't like being uncomfortably hot. In fairness I'm not supposed to use saunas or steam rooms anyway as they can aggravate lymph oedema. I realise I'm probably just a typical prudish Brit, but hey I can deal with that...
snow conditions
jamescollings wrote:
sev112 wrote:
It's rude not to look, and whatever you see, you must smile. - nodding appreciatively is also good protocol

Is it acceptable to applaud? Laughing

Is it possible to clap with one hand? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
NSFP (Not safe for Prudes at work)

http://www.thewebdating.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/prudes.jpg
snow report
Re Swim Suits & Hygiene

Bathing suits typically have been exposed to chlorine ( from swimming pools) . There will always be traces of chlorine and bacteria in your bathing apparel

When this clothing is worn in a sauna the chlorine vaporises and can cause breathing problems for people with asthma or other allergies plus the chlorinated water and bacteria will evaporate into the benches and walls in the sauna.

Many Saunas will not permit the use of your own towel.

A properly operated hygenic sauna facility will supply freshly sterilised towels.
snow report
musher wrote:
...and their trousers round their knees Toofy Grin

Please try to keep up: we're into skinny pants this season I'll have you know.

Saunas: much of it's been said.

I don't think Austrian women or blokes shave their bits, but you probably shouldn't be checking.

In Finland (yeah, been to Naantali) you'd have a bum mat to sit on, other places you generally don't and a towel will have to do. I use those things to protect me from what other people may deposit. Shower first, and shower if you're just out of the pool (get rid of those chemicals).

Even in Europe I usually check what other people are doing first; it's easier and not at all embarrassing to take your keks off, the other way doesn't work so well.

North American saunas tend to be cold and often prudish. Hot tubs are often better there.
snow conditions
Never mind the nudity, how can they spend several hours on the wellness malarkey?

I could spend an hour or two swimming but not lolling about in a steam room. The spas have loads of saunas at different temperatures. You move up the temperature scale.

And they sometimes have a towel waver who whips up a breeze for the benefit of those present. Rather difficult not to laugh at it all at times.
ski holidays
I'm no fan of the saunas but I love an hour or so in the various steam rooms and showers before wrapping up in the fluffy robe and reading / dozing for an hour in the chill-out zone.

I like the nudity - relaxing in way that's hard to describe and not at all sexual (not that much is at my age lol) Skullie

No 'etiquette' seems to be needed really, no one seems to to care how big/small/fat/thin/hairy other peoples various bits and pieces are/n't
latest report
In Austrian saunas it is important to knod and wink at other sauna users. Also, for ultimate respect fart very loudly whilst picking fluff from your belly button. If this isn't correct etiquette, then what my OT witnessed three years ago was a bad example.
snow report
thecramps, not sure what kind of saunas you or your OT frequent, but I have never seen anyone do that kind of stuff, and I sauna at least once a week!
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
thecramps, not sure what kind of saunas you or your OT frequent, but I have never seen anyone do that kind of stuff, and I sauna at least once a week!

Probably saunas full of Brits Wink
ski holidays
Or do what my mate did and go sit in the steam room in FULL ski kit for 15 mins, helmet on, goggles down, boots, coat zipped etc

Apparently it took 10 mins for the heat to penetrate the kit, but he did admit he was glad to get out and it shut up the locals about what to wear in there

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
feef, No, sorry mate, but he was Austrian.
ski holidays
And the sauna was in Austria.
snow report
This thread is too funny... the terminally British and their attitudes to saunas. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
latest report
feef wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

Probably saunas full of Brits Wink

Shirley you mean Dutch ?

http://youtube.com/v/pQK9W0juEYY
latest report
As the original poster for this thread I was hoping to use it to show wifey that there was a certain standard of behaviour in the sauna! Of course as a husband it is my duty to embarrass her with my juvenile behaviour - so maybe I should keep some of the 'finer' points discussed here as a surprise?
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
This thread is too funny... the terminally British and their attitudes to saunas. Very Happy

Some of the German girls I work with also don't like sharing a sauna with random naked strangers, all the public saunas in Munich have women only nights which are apparently always really busy so not just a repressed Brit thing at all.
snow conditions
In Iceland this summer we went to the public thermal springs in Reykjavik as they were free. The notice in the communal changing areas (separate male and female) said that naked showers were compulsory for cleanliness before entering the springs. Makes sense and no problem as we have been going to nudist beaches in the summer for over 30 years. The only place I have found nakedness strange was on visiting a nudist colony in S of France many years ago where you had to strip off on entering the village and everyone walked round everywhere naked. For me its OK on the beach, sauna etc but it was very chilly at the frozen food section of the supermarket! That was taking things too far.
snow report
lynseyf wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:

Some of the German girls I work with also don't like sharing a sauna with random naked strangers, all the public saunas in Munich have women only nights which are apparently always really busy so not just a repressed Brit thing at all.

And can be seen on www.munichchicksinsauna.com
snow report
Is it typical of all Austrian saunas that it is non-textile?

Nothing is suggested on the hotel website other than 'well stocked basket of bathing items with sauna towel and bathing shoes'
snow conditions
It would be much easier for everybody:

17-18 ladies
18-19 male
19-20 dinner
20-21 couples+kids
21-22 mixed (= 50 men + 2 ladies or none) wink

Then you can choose! Very Happy

Some of this is aplied in scandinavian mountain huts. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
lynseyf, my local swimming baths has a women's only session too which I much prefer. Not just to avoid the sight of scary men in speedos but also it's generally slower which means the fast lane is for fit girls doing front crawl so reasonably fast breast-stroke ladies can use the middle lane leaving the slow lane for the old girls who swim alongside each other nattering...
snow report
Hyst, You have dinner in a sauna? Smile
ski holidays
theone wrote:
Is it typical of all Austrian saunas that it is non-textile?

Nothing is suggested on the hotel website other than 'well stocked basket of bathing items with sauna towel and bathing shoes'

Yes.
snow report
pam w wrote:

Since Finnish men have been shown to have the highest sperm count, that proposition could be a load of bøllöcks. Or a load from bölløcks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy