Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another where to go post

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone. I know we get a lot of these but I'm tearing my hair out trying to come up with a plan for this seasons ski trip.

First proper trip was last year to Arinsal with Crystal (before that some short trips to small resorts in Germany with the OH who is from there). It was fun and the snow was great but I'm wasn't too keen on the whole tour operator experience (normally being a more independent traveler). Also the 3.5hr bus transfer was a little trying so we'd like somewhere that didn't involve such a long haul after the flight.

Ideally we're looking for somewhere that is a little bit different, not crazy crazy expensive and not rammed full of Brits.

We're not big Apres people, nice huts with warm fires is probably more our scene on a ski trip.

Pretty scenery is a must also I think.

Ideally the skiing would be a bit more extensive than Arinsal but as long as it's roughly comparable to that it would be fine.

We're looking to go in mid January so no worries with school holidays etc.

I've been looking at Norway which seems to have some cracking accomodation deals in nice places in Trysil but I'm a bit concerned about the short days and potentially brutal weather in Jan! To anyone with experience how much worse is -20 than -5!?

I'd also be interested in Sud Tyrol but I'm struggling to find out much about that area logistically. Are there any good tour ops who go there / how hard is it to DIY.

Of the more exotic options I could look into cashing some airline miles in and going long haul to North America or Japan. Both look amazing but it seems that ski passes are much more expensive there than in Europe (or am I doing something wrong?).

Other than that I'm just melting my brain with the sheer amount of choice!

Any other suggestions would be most welcome!

What do ya all think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Schnee42, have a look at the link in my signature for my apartment in Serre Chevalier (Monetier-les-Bains), some fantastic scenery on the edge of the Parc des Ecrins. Readily available DIY flights to Turin or Grenoble, and plenty of trees for the colder days. Oh, and did I mention the mountain huts with roaring fires and woodburners?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schnee42, it sounds as if you should look for somewhere which is not on the TO circuit.

If looking for a TO deal, and there are just two of you, you could wait for a last minute (final 48 hours) bargain.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
For scenery, pick from Chamonix, Zermatt, Jungfrau (Grindelwald, Wengen, Murren), Dolomites (Cortina, Selva, Arabba etc). Chamonix has a short transfer from Geneva, and it and the Dolomites can be done DIY. Megeve/Les Contaimes is nice too (another short Geneva transfer). Lots of choice but hope that helps! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Huh, should read Megeve/Les Contamines ...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Schnee42 wrote:
Also the 3.5hr bus transfer was a little trying so we'd like somewhere that didn't involve such a long haul after the flight.

Ha. Ha. Good joke. I'm off to Val Thorens in four days with the Uni ski club, and will be looking at a minimum of 20 hours on a coach to get there (last time it took 24). I'll probably be doing that 3-4 times this season.

Man up! Wink snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Ideally we're looking for somewhere that is a little bit different, not crazy crazy expensive and not rammed full of Brits.

We're not big Apres people, nice huts with warm fires is probably more our scene on a ski trip.

Pretty scenery is a must also I think.

Schnee42, Sounds like the Dolomites might tick some of your boxes. Stunning scenery. Reasonable prices on the hill. (ok it's all relative) Madonna de Campiglio for example. Nice town. Not rammed with Brits outside of school hols. Seem to be plenty of independent hotels. You could find yourself in -20c temps in the Alps in January rolling eyes
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This was -20 on a windy day in Zermatt a couple of years ago, I felt like my had was frostbitten in the minute my mit was off to take the picture.

Been to Trysil a few years ago, it was good but there are plenty better places in the alps that meet your criteria and are likely to be cheaper, warmer and lighter.

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it will be more expensive but if you like the scenery and homely feel then you should have a look at jasper in canada. I spent a few weeks there a few years back and absolutely loved it, stunning scenery, not many brits, locals are fantastic and welcoming and plenty to do when not on the slopes. it is a short free bus ride to the mountain everyday, but it is only like 30 -40 mins and plenty of piste....and oh yeah loads and loads of snow.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Madonna di Campiglio.

If you want someone to organise it without being remotely Tour Operatorish, then call Dominic at Enchanted Holidays. It's a one man band that only goes to MdC. He's certainly with talking to, and it was cheaper than booking it ourselves.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Morillon/Samoens? About an hour from Geneva. Morzine a similar transfer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Morillon/Samoens? About an hour from Geneva. Morzine a similar transfer.

All mountains are pretty but that area is nothing very special in scenery terms - not compared to the Jungfrau or the Dolomites. And Morzine is heaving with Brits!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy