Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broken hand!!

Poster: A snowHead
Just got news from hospital that one of our party has broken his hand on his second dry slope lesson!we go on5th Jan, any idea of rehab time? Poor bloke he has been the most excited in the party too!! Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Broken bones are generally 6 weeks, but I'm no medic. Someone more qualified will be along shortly. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can still ski with a broken hand - just don't fall on it Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maybe if it's in a robust plaster it'd be pretty bomb-proof? Ski without poles - better for a beginner, anyway.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Up date from casualty, it's a broken bone in one hand and a dislocated thumb in the other, I'm thinking not too bad, but bloody painful
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, hopefully will know more later.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kiters, I skied with a thumb injury (UCL) three weeks after a dry slope accident. My hand was still encased in a thermoplastic splint and I had a larger pair of gloves then usual with a zip up the side. I moulded the splint so I could hold the ski pole. Not sure I would have fancied skiing with injuries to both hands though. It bloody hurt when someone swung the poma pole into it despite the splint. If you have a standard cast on it, you are unlikely to get a glove on.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
#dryslopeproblems - could make holding poles, carrying skis and hanging onto a Poma a bit tricky!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
IMO he's got time to get over it sufficiently as long as he's careful.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
a dislocated thumb is about the most painful thing that has ever happened to me, but broken fingers shouldn't stop you from doing most things. They often don't need plastering, just a split or just taping to the finger next door. Rule number 5 !
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hanging on to a poma with one hand is not a problem if you have one good hand and no poles. But if both hands are injured, that's not nice at all. Mates are for carrying skis. My OH dislocated a thumb on a dry slope (Gloucester); it was problematical for ages.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kiters wrote:
Up date from casualty, it's a broken bone in one hand and a dislocated thumb in the other, I'm thinking not too bad, but bloody painful

Depending on how the injury is protected I would not mind giving it a go with one of those injuries, but to have injuries to both hands might make it a lot more difficult.

The problem is that skiing with injuries can make you over cautious in guarding against another fall, yet paradoxically that can lead to something else going wrong.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's typically about 6 weeks, but he should be OK to ski maybe after 4. Won't be using poles but it's generally better for beginners not to use poles until they learn proper hands position. A little concern is that he managed to fall so badly on a dry slope and broke a bone.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
never summer, He's a big lad!
snow conditions
I cannot see it being a problem with skiing. Other activities will be a bit more difficult. I had a friend who managed to badly dislocate both elbows. He had to move back home and persuade his mum to wipe his bottom for him.
ski holidays
Thank you all / up date he is in the pub in Gloucester having a few beers,medicinal of course
Laughing
ski holidays
johnE Laughing
latest report
Kiters, It's not really about the size of a person but about his arms position in a fall. He's likely to fall again as it's a part of a learning curve, so he needs to avoid falling on his hands.
snow conditions
That's one of the reasons I tend to avoid dry ski slopes if I'm skiing in the next 6 months or so. Consequently, I end up avoiding them all year. Bloody awful places. Never been in a fridge, but can't say I really fancy it.
latest report
foxtrotzulu,
Like you, I now avoid plastic slopes. Friction burn from wrist to elbow one week before a ski trip was most unpleasant. Work colleagues were most vocal protesting how bad it looked as I had to wear a short-sleeved shirt that week. They missed the scabs falling off.
latest report
The latest...having an op tomorrow,he has a spiral fracture of the finger and is having some metal put in, a little worse than we all thought. They were going to the snow dome to learn, then saw an offer on Groupon,
Sad
ski holidays
Kiters, then I think you can safely say he won't be skiing in January.
snow report
I did the same on a dry slope on NYE 1997, had to cancel January's holiday for '98 Sad had a pot on four week then an metal splint thing over my little finger & bandaged up! You can ski with a broken hand but just remember your insurance won't be valid! I guess it depends which bit is broken though? Mine was my knuckle on the little finger!
latest report
There is a natural tendency (almost instinctive) to try to break your fall with a hand. But it's not going to do anything good, it only increases the risk of an injury where no injury should have resulted - it's not that you are falling from a cliff. Keep arms out of the way. Bad luck for your friend, he's learning the hard way. Hope he recovers fast.
ski holidays
Kiters wrote:
Just got news from hospital that one of our party has broken his hand on his second dry slope lesson!we go on5th Jan, any idea of rehab time? Poor bloke he has been the most excited in the party too!! Sad

depends on the fracture but anywhere between 3 and 6 weeks for most.

Jonathan Bell
snow report
Jonathan Bell, can you believe he saw two drs one in A&E and one in hand clinic and they 'disagreed' on the type of fracture! One said an op this week and the other to put in a cast until Monday to see if finger re-aligns. So he had a full cast put on his left arm up to elbow, gets home ,can't really do any thing himself as the other hand is swollen with the undislocated thumb, rings back dr 2, who says they have put wrong cast on, could he go back,luckily he lives within walking distance of hospital. So, now has a small cast just to cover two fingers and up to wrist, so we just have to wait until Monday for the next instalment!!
snow report
Kiters,
What type of fracture?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jonathan, I believe it is a spiral fracture of the wedding ring finger, but something to do with the bone in the hand going up to the wrist as well,which is where the two drs wee disagreeing on what to do, operation with metal plate or plaster until swelling goes down on Monday.
ski holidays
Kiters,
Can you pm your X-ray ?
snow report
Kiters, sounds like I've done something similar. Broken my hand at the base of my ring finger, the boxers fracture. Just had the op to pin it yesterday. Hope your mate makes a quick recovery!
snow report
Jonathan Bell, I dont have it, but thanks for the offer.MagSeven, thank you, we shall see!
snow report
Jonathan Bell, I pm you thanks
snow report
Quick up date. Dr decided finger would permanently droop to one side without operation. Went to hospital yesterday for op,arrived 7.30am,came home at 5pm not a happy chap as didn't get to do his. So back on Friday to try again! He is still positive and still wanting to ski, the jury is out on that
latest report
Kiters, sorry to say this, but your mate is dealing with Amateurs.
His injury was 10 days ago. it should have been dealt with immediately. And by a proper Hand Surgeon.
There are far too many General Orthopaedic Surgeons around who dabble in this and that. Avoid them.
Hand surgery can be done under regional block - the arm gets numbed, no need for GA.
It is now only 17 days to January 5th, and Christmas is lurching into view, which can so easily cause further delays.
Your poor mate is not being well served.
As one who is part of the NHS, I apologise.
ski holidays
Jonpim, it's so frustrating,but it's a big machine and he is a small cog. I just hope they do the best thing for him.
latest report
No, Kiters, it is not A Big Machine.
The NHS is people.
Allow it to behave like a machine and it will run all over you
Treat it like people - ordinary people with foibles and failings and good days and bad days - and you may be surprised.
Phone them up. Explain the situation. Complain. Ask credentials and experience.
i'm often asked "Have you ever done this before?", and i'm an old timer!
Don't settle for second best. Don't be fobbed off. Make things happen.
ski holidays
Jonpim, excellent advice from one who knows about such stuff. There have been lots of tales of badly handled injuries on here recently where folk perhaps didn't help themselves as much as they could have or needed to.
latest report
Up date. Went to hospital saw surgeon who has decided he doesn't need an operation now as it isn't looking too bad . However surgeon said if Mike wanted the op he would do it today and there would be a significant amount of physiotherapy etc.He asked what would he do if it was his hand and he said leave it as it is. Two weeks ln and we have some closure! !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy