Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flight Delays UK Sat 7 Dec BA and Swiss now cancelling GVA Flights

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

There is significant disruption to flights in and out of the UK this morning (particularly Gatwick and Stansted) due to a major equipment failure at Swanick Air Traffic Control Centre in Hampshire. Current delays appear to be about an hour, this may get worse depending on how long it takes to fix and how much the reduction in capacity will be. If there is more news in the next few mins I will post again (but then I'm off skiing!!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 7-12-13 13:39; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good to know - hubby is on his way home from Stansted today. Ange.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Media Statement fron NATS here:

http://www.nats.aero/news/statement-from-nats/

If there is anybody on the bus leaving the ESB then post your flight number in the next 15 mins and I'll see what I can find!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax wrote:
Good to know - hubby is on his way home from Stansted today. Ange.

Is he on the Salzburg flight this afternoon?

Sat here in Kirchberg monitoring the situation. Id rather be sat here at home than waiting for hours at salzburg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes, Ryanair Stansted to Salzburg at lunchtime-ish. Im off outside to clear loads of snow from the drive (the not so nice part of living with snow). Ange
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
okay, im on the one going back.

would be great to have an update from the Stansted end as its not worth leaving until I know the Stansted flight departure time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jafa - don't leave it too late - check-ins will close on time even if there are delays
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't need to check in just hand luggage. Ive got my boarding pass already
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Its not getting any better BA are now cancelling flights by the bucketful. The following BA Flts from GVA to LHR are cancelled: 741, 729, 731, 797, 733, 721, 735.
Easy are reporting a very fluid situation and are boarding on time to see if slots come up.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway, probably just as well I didn't get a pass out to go on the PSB then, as I don't think I would have liked being delayed getting back to the UK.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chocksaway wrote:
Its not getting any better BA are now cancelling flights by the bucketful. The following BA Flts from GVA to LHR are cancelled: 741, 729, 731, 797, 733, 721, 735.

This is why I avoid LHR like the plague. Any sort of problem and they start cancelling stuff all of the place. Delays I can take - cancellations are a serious PITA
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
National Air Traffic Services (NATS) have now identified the fault and they are estimating that it will take 4 hours (starting at 1215 UK) to rebuild a server that deals with internal comms. So far today they have suffered a 20% drop in the flights that they were able to handle. Its not going to get much better for a while yet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bad day in the office for the NATS IT dept.

This sort of thing should never happen with the correct use of virtual servers and High Availability failover technologies
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swiss now joining in the cancellation game LX318 434 and 456 cancelled - more to follow I suspect
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chocksaway, latest news ...
Quote:
National Air Traffic Services (NATS) have now identified that there is a fault and are estimating that it will take 4 days (starting Monday morning) to reassign IT staff from other projects but that they do hope to identify the nature of the problem by the end of next week. Once the fault is identified, a project manager can be assigned. The budget holder's cost centre for the flight logistics systems must then be approved through the overnight SAP run for work to begin on appointing a project team that will rebuild the server. However, so far today, the IT team have handled a 20% increase in help desk calls and believe it's not going to get much better for a while yet and this may have a knock-on effect on the available resources to resolve this issue.
snow conditions
Quote:
The budget holder's cost centre for the flight logistics systems must then be approved through the overnight SAP run for work to begin on appointing a project team that will rebuild the server.

That's got to be a wind up Evil or Very Mad
snow report
moffatross, Tee Hee
snow conditions
No word from the Salzburg flight boarding yet?
ski holidays
Have they tried switching it off and then on again?
latest report
moffatross, you got me Embarassed Laughing

Latest from NATS @12:30

In the early hours of this morning, a technical problem occurred at our Area Control centre at Swanwick. The problem is related to the internal telephone system used by our air traffic controllers and is expected to take about six hours to resolve.
snow report
jafa, Not from Ryan or the airport - at least it hasn't been cancelled like some Ryans.
ski holidays
12.30pm

In the early hours of this morning, a technical problem occurred at our Area Control centre at Swanwick. The problem is related to the internal telephone system used by our air traffic controllers and is expected to take about six hours to resolve.

At night, when it’s quiet, sectors of airspace are combined. As it gets busier in the daytime the sectors are split out again and additional control positions are opened to meet the traffic demand. Because of the problem with the internal telephone system, it was not possible to open the additional control positions this morning, resulting in a significant reduction in capacity in some areas of UK en-route airspace.

Safety has not been compromised at any time.

Normally by midday on a Saturday we would have handled about 2000 flights. Today we have handled somewhere in the region of 1,700 – a reduction of about 20%.

We now understand what the problem is and our engineers are working hard to rectify the issues as quickly as possible. Everyone in our operation is continuing to work closely with our customers to manage the traffic and clear the backlog.

We apologise sincerely for any inconvenience being caused to passengers.
snow report
red 27 wrote:

This sort of thing should never happen with the correct use of virtual servers and High Availability failover technologies

HAHAHHA yeah right, I think the osbourne book of IT might need to be on youre xmas list
ski holidays
We are overnighting at Geneva Sad
ski holidays
I changed some business flights to come back from Barcelona tomorrow, hoping it is sorted soon...
snow report
LX 356 has joined the list of cancellations Sad
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
Quote:
The budget holder's cost centre for the flight logistics systems must then be approved through the overnight SAP run for work to begin on appointing a project team that will rebuild the server.

That's got to be a wind up Evil or Very Mad

I thought everyone knew that SAP stands for "Stops All Production"..... wink
latest report
Quote:

Latest from NATS @12:30

...The problem is related to the internal telephone system[/b] used by our air traffic controllers and is expected to take about six hours to resolve.

Can't they just use their mobile phones or get some walkie talkies?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jafa, hubby on the plane, has been for a while - crowd control as its now packed in the airport. He has just texted saying looks like he will be taking off soon and has turned his phone off - so - not long now. Have a safe journey. Ange
snow report
The easyjet from Gatwick to Munich only had a very short delay - thats one happy skiier friend arrived in time for some afternoon powder! Ange
snow report
Quote:

We are overnighting at Geneva

holidayloverxx, what a pain!
snow conditions
flangesax, jafa, FR304 to Salzburg taxied at 1512 - so 3 hours and 22 minutes late - better late than never!
ski holidays
Off to Salzburg airport now to collect hubby, then out for a fab family ski in the morning. Happy snowy days. Ange Very Happy
snow report
I suppose the only thing to look forward to now is the video of a certain Irishmen jumping up and down like a leprechaun on a hot tin roof (and quite rightly so IMHO)
ski holidays
Thank you boarding at Salzburg now
Enjoy the skiing
ski holidays
Daughter flying Easyjet to Geneva from Gatwick this morning was only delayed 90mins - I was expecting far worse Puzzled
snow conditions
Swissair flight LX358 out of Geneva scheduled on time - after the flight delay scares, the end of a perfect PSB week
snow conditions
Juliet Kennedy, (soon to ex-)Nats operations director at Swanwick, has stressed that engineers are working to rectify the air traffic control telephone glitch being blamed for UK flight delays.
"We are resilient, but we are not 100% resilient as today has shown,

Which, translated, means they thought they were resilient but have found out the hard way that they aint

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 7-12-13 20:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Lack of testing; of one assumes an "upgrade"........
latest report
Weathercam, The lottery of flying and slots! The worst place to be flying to and from on a day like to day is Heathrow. Because they are working at 98% capacity there is not the scope to keep delaying as the airport cannot physically cope with accommodatimg delays from earlier as the rest of the schedule continues to arrive. Hence the requirement for Boris Island, a third runway or whatever.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy