Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowheads 3.0 ???

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2013/nov/15/ski-cooperatives-canada-shames-mountains

Admin....make it so Razz
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like a great place - having visited some other places like it, you get a great experience Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ALQ, Been a gentle thought wandering through the forum for at least 8 years . . . it is possible that we are approaching critical mass for crowd-funding. What has to be understood is that buying is one thing . . . running with a profit is another wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good point. Sponsorship? A JV with SKGB (they could sell the white house for seed money)?
I think we have the talent on here; but can it be harnessed?
It would be a most excellent venture.

If you build it...they will come Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ALQ, the real ? is . . . where? . . . to build it . . . and . . . 'what' to build? Find the mountain that serves all the desires voiced here and we may be on to something . . . Though it may not be on this planet wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i am still working on the snowHeads retirement home where you purchase a resort friendly room with staff.... and sell it on when you can no longer ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Several years back (8 or so??) there was an Italian resort put up for sale. It was mentioned on sH and there were, even back then, quite a number interested in putting up money toward buying it. So not as daft an idea as it sounds, but same concern then as now - once bought, how does it pay for itself ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
austin7 wrote:
...once bought, how does it pay for itself ?

Hmmm...the million dollar question! Would make for an interesting study of workable business models.
Need to get an idea of costs first though. Do you have a link to that italian resort thread?
Or know any cool, ski-nut millionaires?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Run it as the snowHeads Resort School teaching all the resort skills like 'the 5 minute Spag Bol' technique for chalet tarts who forgot to fall out of the bar on time . . . Pistbasher driving lessons . . . Fill the place with interns, indentured and self financing staff.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
it would be a lot cheaper to manage if we idle piste skiers took a leaf out of the book of the ski-tourers and learnt to get ourselves up the mountain.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
austin7 wrote:
Several years back (8 or so??) there was an Italian resort put up for sale. It was mentioned on sH and there were, even back then, quite a number interested in putting up money toward buying it. So not as daft an idea as it sounds, but same concern then as now - once bought, how does it pay for itself ?

And, as a follow-up point, who would run it?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't get why you would invest cash into a resort and then run it on a not-for-profit basis.

Why would you subsidise other people's skiing?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are several English resorts that rely on volunteers, so why not help out one of them?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
James the Last, 'cos that's what some people who like to share a love of life do . . . some people don't understand how they are supposed to live as a person.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is pretty much how the club fields run in NZ, isn't it? Sounds pretty good to me.
latest report
Richard_Sideways, any links for more info??
ski holidays
ALQ, http://www.powderhounds.com/NewZealand/Club-Ski-Fields.aspx
snow conditions
Quote:
....major benefits such as on-snow accommodation, uncrowded slopes, no lift queues, and cheap lift tickets. The likelihood of fresh tracks on a powder day (or the next day) is much higher than at the commercial resorts.

Hmmm....might work Little Angel
ski holidays
James the Last. We work our back bottoms off to get the readies to go skiing at some resort where fat cats are trying to get a financial return on their investment. If I owned a chunk of a ski area, what would I do with the financial return on my investment ? go skiing ? I already could.
ski holidays
thirty06, I fear the negative financial return is likely to consume all your spending money long before you get to the slopes.

The other big problem is that for Terrace the owners were the residents, not residents of other countries. It's a lovely romantic idea, but I do struggle to see the point of it unless it is s serious financial investment with competitive returns.

A friend of my parents was one if the three(?) original founders and shareholders in Meribel Alpina, the firm that I believes operates the resort. It was great to see him walk up to the lift pass kiosk, greet the man behind the counter as an old friend and just scoop up as many season passes as he felt like without paying a penny. Very Happy
ski holidays
thirty06, do you really have *no* other desires and pleasures in life other than skiing? If you won £10m on the lottery, would you not develop some other expensive habit?

I'm also not sure why you refer to 'fat cats'. At about £4.50 an hour (for the time it's open), being in a ski domaine is cheaper (per hour) than being on the tube, let alone an intercity train. Manchester to London is about 2.5 hours, and if you book weeks in advance for a time nobody wants to travel, you might manage a £12 ticket. If you want to go when you turn up at the station, expect to pay multiple times that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy